Port Orleans Riverside FAQ thread --- 2012, Part Three --- NOW FULL / CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my Magical Express stuff today! Seeing "Port Orleans Riverside" printed on the luggage tags made me do a little happy dance! :hyper:

So after reading ALL of that, where should I request a room location?

Let me guess, it is as simple as non-ground floor room in Magnolia Bend

Well not to put too fine a point on it, but yes you've hit the nail on the head! :) I tend to suggest people ask for the features they want rather than for a specific building, as the mansions in particular are quite large and there can be bigger differences within one building than there are between one building and another. Include the reasons that you mention above in your fax - and it can't hurt to say that if they do happen to have a King room spare during that period, you'd be quite happy with that. :)

As has been said, elevators are in the centre of the mansion buildings, but don't worry too much about the distance from the elevators to the room as you've only got to do that once with bags, the rest of the time you want it convenient for walking. And don't worry about making use of Bell Services if it helps - you can even ride along with your bags on their pargo cart if you wish, just ask them for a lift to save some walking!

Standard view rooms are mostly on the parking-lot side of the building, and Magnolia Terrace is slightly closer to POFQ than Acadian House is, but to be honest they're both a fair distance. Also Magnolia Terrace's standard view rooms include some which face inwards into the courtyard which are very nice locations and a little set back away from the cars. See my floorplans at www.portorleans.org/magnolia-bend.php for a better idea of the layouts.

We booked a River View room for our upcoming trip and would love a room in the mansions. Upper floor if possible.
Which building should we request Magnolia Terrace or Acadian House?

It's really up to you, there are no definitive answers that are right for everyone - what are your criteria?

Some of the river-front rooms on the ends of the wings in Magnolia Terrace are nice, with short walks to the main areas, but they are close to the pathway so you might prefer the slightly quieter, more set-back rooms in Acadian... but it's hard to choose for you without knowing what you want.

Andre

I would love to be close to the main areas and I thought I wanted the end of the wings of Magnolia Terrace but now that you mentioned being close to the pathways Andre I am not so sure. I wonder if those rooms are really noisy with all the foot traffic?
Any suggestions for river view on upper floors in either of the two buildings?

Thanks!

Carla

I would love to be close to the main areas and I thought I wanted the end of the wings of Magnolia Terrace but now that you mentioned being close to the pathways Andre I am not so sure. I wonder if those rooms are really noisy with all the foot traffic?

Thanks!

Carla

I replied to your PM Carla. Let me know if there is anything else you may need.

I doubt you'll see much foot-traffic past your door on an upper floor room on those wing-ends, so I think that a room on the end nearest the bridge over to Ol' Man Island would be a great location for you. There are not a massive amount of River View rooms there though, as many of them are classified in King Bed category, so perhaps you could ask for that as an ideal, but settle for Acadian House as a good second choice (which would probably be slightly closer than the other wing-end at Magnolia, but really there's very little in it).

I still think you are better telling them the criteria of what features you want though, rather than second-guessing them by being too specific in terms of location.

Andre

Standard rooms face the parking lot, so you will be right next to the car. I actually prefer Acadian House location, but Magnolia Bend is great as well.

The elevators are in the middle of the building, so if you are in a standard view, you will need to walk all the way to the middle of the building, and back to your room.

So your request of an upper room in either building would be perfect!

I cannot guarantee it, but on two out of my five solo trips, I was automatically placed in a king bed room. However, that was before the multiple booking categories, so I think it just gets harder to get one unless you book it.

Thanks for your response and information!
Last year I had booked a standard room at CBR and when I checked in, they saw I was alone and they actually switched me to a king room. I knew I shouldn't expect it so I was very happy they upgraded me! I have no issues with 2 bedded rooms its just that I don't do a thing with the other bed!

Well not to put too fine a point on it, but yes you've hit the nail on the head! :) I tend to suggest people ask for the features they want rather than for a specific building, as the mansions in particular are quite large and there can be bigger differences within one building than there are between one building and another. Include the reasons that you mention above in your fax - and it can't hurt to say that if they do happen to have a King room spare during that period, you'd be quite happy with that. :)

As has been said, elevators are in the centre of the mansion buildings, but don't worry too much about the distance from the elevators to the room as you've only got to do that once with bags, the rest of the time you want it convenient for walking. And don't worry about making use of Bell Services if it helps - you can even ride along with your bags on their pargo cart if you wish, just ask them for a lift to save some walking!

Standard view rooms are mostly on the parking-lot side of the building, and Magnolia Terrace is slightly closer to POFQ than Acadian House is, but to be honest they're both a fair distance. Also Magnolia Terrace's standard view rooms include some which face inwards into the courtyard which are very nice locations and a little set back away from the cars. See my floorplans at www.portorleans.org/magnolia-bend.php for a better idea of the layouts.

Andre

Thank you for the information! So I did not know that Magnolia Bend was a building - I thought it was an 'area' - duh :bitelip: I would prefer the mansion buildings then??? So I will request the mansion section, non-ground floor (since my first preference is a mansion building.) Or are there ONLY 2 floors anyway so I might as well say 2nd floor? I can't remember...I could have sworn I stayed on the 3rd floor but that was almost 13 years ago :crazy2:

So you are the owner of that site??? I always go there because I check out your River's Roost page! You have the only menu of that place I can find. Although I thought I heard they were adding some more food to the menu - is that true?

Fabulous site - thank you for maintaining it and answering my questions!

5mouseketeersforus said:
Good morning from POR!!

We are here & this resort is stunning!!!! Pictures online do not do it justice AT ALL. The RRs are spectacular - not too girly. They really are gorgeous.

Had a few issues with the new RFID cards yesterday but nothing major. Check-in took quite a long time. The in-training CMs at check in were very nice but it just took a while - with 5 kids who had been up since 4am - the 30 minute process was not a good start.

Delivery of our bags took a long time as well. We arrived at 11:30 and our bags didn't arrive until sometime after we left for our Dinner ADR (4:30). Good thing we didn't need to change.

The CMs here are all so friendly.

Weather looks good for today so we are explorinf the resort today & heading to MK tomorrow!

Thank you once again to Venomhatch & Andre for all of their info & help for this resort :)

We are having a fabulous time!!

We just arrived here too & it is amazing & beautiful!! Everyone is friendly, helpful, check in took no time at all & the CM doing our check in gave my daughter her birthday button without our asking, room is perfect-just what we wanted!!! We haven't explored the resort fully but i agree the reality is a million times better than the pix Thank everyone again for all their great input & advice!!!

So I did not know that Magnolia Bend was a building - I thought it was an 'area' - duh :bitelip: I would prefer the mansion buildings then??? So I will request the mansion section, non-ground floor (since my first preference is a mansion building.) Or are there ONLY 2 floors anyway so I might as well say 2nd floor? I can't remember...I could have sworn I stayed on the 3rd floor but that was almost 13 years ago :crazy2:

So you are the owner of that site??? I always go there because I check out your River's Roost page! You have the only menu of that place I can find. Although I thought I heard they were adding some more food to the menu - is that true? !

Magnolia BEND is the general area with the four mansion buildings, Magnolia TERRACE is the name of one of those four buildings. You're right, it's confusing! :)

The mansions have three floors in the middle section (by the elevators) but two floors in the rest of the wing areas - see the floorplans I mentioned for full details. We were talking about the mansions as you asked for upper floor with an elevator, and the Alligator Bayou lodges do not have elevators (and they can also be a little more remote) but they are still very nice. From what you've said, I think the mansions might be a better fit for yours needs though.

Yes, I do run portorleans.org, glad you've found it useful. I've got to do an update on the River Roost menu - but don't forget that it's perfectly OK to bring food in with you from the food court, it's only just along an open corridor. I would suggest getting your drinks in the Lounge itself though, as you will be taking up one of their tables and it's only fair.

Andre

I'm behind on this thread (and everything else) since our trip. We had a wonderful time. POR was wonderful. Here are my impressions:

1. It was beautiful - so quiet and peaceful
2. We were a legal family of 6 in an AB room. I was afraid it would be too cramped, but it was fine. Our room didn't have the alcove by the door, so I think that gave us a bit more space. We used a set of canvas hanging shelves in the closet area and had each person's outfit for the day in a ziploc bag. Only the kids' outfits fit in the hanging shelves, so having two of them would have been good. There was plenty of room to store the empty luggage.
3. We heard very little noise from other guests. We occasionally heard a group walking by and maybe some footsteps or something above us, but it wasn't enough to bother us at all.
4. Mousekeeping was fine. We didn't get any towel animals (no big deal), but everything was very clean
5. We didn't eat at Boatwright's, but the food court was OK. We ate there twice. It wasn't the best, but it wasn't bad. Two of the kids didn't like the spaghetti, but I thought the create your own pasta was good.
6. We were in building 18 so we were pretty close to everything, but I can see how it would be a hike from some of the farther buildings, but I don't think it's as bad as it looks on the map.
7. We only took the bus one day. The service was good, but we had two adults, 4 kids, a regular stroller and an adaptive stroller. We felt like it was too much for us to juggle while we were also trying to squeeze on a full bus. The drivers were nice and helpful and the other guests were friendly. We just thought it was easier to drive. It was our issue, not the buses
8. The boat to DTD was nice, but it took longer than we expected. Not a big deal, except we did it the day we were leaving so we got a later start than we planned.

I only had two complaints and they are fairly minor.

1. Every time I went to the area to fill our mugs, it was a mess with soda all over the place. Several times I was filling 5 mugs and it was had to find a clean spot to put them down
2. I can't tell you how many times I whacked myself in the head with the stick that opened and closed the curtain between the sink area and the main part of the room. You would think I would have learned, but I didn't. LOL. I don't know how that could have been improved.

I would definitely stay there again, but the next time we go to WDW our youngest will be over 3 so we would have to get two rooms and I'm assuming that would cost a lot more than a suite at AoA or ASMu or a cabin at Ft. Wilderness.

Hi All,

I wanted to let everyone here know that Andre's room request fax letter works! We booked two rooms at POR in October for our February 3 thru 14 vacation. The reservation included free dining and two garden view rooms. I faxed my request on Monday for buildings 14, 18 or 27. I just received a fax from Mr. Elg Room Inventory Manager Disney’s Port Orleans Resort notifying me that he upgraded us to preferred building number 18 in connecting rooms (and I didn't even ask for that). Thank you Andre and Mr. Elg. What is the best way to thank Mr. Elg?

John

Just sent in our room request fax(we leave in 5 days) and can't wait! Thanks for all the insight and help! Keeping my fingers crossed we will be able to swim, we are from the northeast and recently had super cold weather so anything above 50 will seem tropical!:thumbsup2

So one week to go and my dh is at the hospital getting a treatment because he has pneumonia. Has had a bad cough for 2 weeks and went to the dr. this am because he started coughing up blood. Had a chest x-ray. :(

Sorry about the pneumonia, I had it in 2011 for the first time ever and just like your DH I didn't know by just the cough. Once he is treated for it, it should disappear pretty much in 2 days (his symptoms) and he will be fine in 6. Like a pp, sending good vibes :goodvibes Hope he feels better soon and enjoy your trip!!!

We got back Monday and had a wonderful time at POR!

We had booked a King room, and requested a water view, but we weren't that concerned about getting one. We were lucky and had a 2nd floor water view in Acadian House

Mousekeeping was immaculate the whole time.

Buses were very efficient the whole time we were there. In fact of all our stays, this trip had the best, most consistent bus service.

There were lots of teens in tour groups at POR, but for the most part we could avoid them. The one exception to this was the fact that they were in the room next to ours. Sunday night, they were banging on their door, running up and down the hall. The rooms must be well-insulated, because we did not here them in their room- just going in and out (most of the night). But it could have been much worse.

We only took the boat once- back from DTD and it was lovely.

Overall, it was a terrific stay!

just wondering, can you get a king bed room and also put a double air mattress in it or does it have to be a single mattress?

germ539 said:
just wondering, can you get a king bed room and also put a double air mattress in it or does it have to be a single mattress?

King room is max 2 and one under 3.

andrewilley said:
Magnolia BEND is the general area with the four mansion buildings, Magnolia TERRACE is the name of one of those four buildings. You're right, it's confusing! :)

The mansions have three floors in the middle section (by the elevators) but two floors in the rest of the wing areas - see the floorplans I mentioned for full details. We were talking about the mansions as you asked for upper floor with an elevator, and the Alligator Bayou lodges do not have elevators (and they can also be a little more remote) but they are still very nice. From what you've said, I think the mansions might be a better fit for yours needs though.

Yes, I do run portorleans.org, glad you've found it useful. I've got to do an update on the River Roost menu - but don't forget that it's perfectly OK to bring food in with you from the food court, it's only just along an open corridor. I would suggest getting your drinks in the Lounge itself though, as you will be taking up one of their tables and it's only fair.

Andre

Ah, that clarifies it! I'll request magnolia bend then since either of them look nice! And non ground floor.

So cool to know I can bring food court food in the lounge!!! I absolutely plan on buying my drinks there but if their menu is limited, I'll bring in something. Thank you for letting me know!

Just checked in today. Thank you Venomhatch! With your advice, we got the area we wanted. :thumbsup2

The resort is absolutely beautiful! Food court was great. Make your own pasta was delish and quite large!

Now if only our luggage would arrive so we can unpack and get settled in before tomorrow ...

Thanks everyone for all your great advice on this thread! Looking forward to enjoying the tranquility of the resort after our hectic days in the parks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter