Port Orleans Riverside FAQ thread --- 2012, Part Three --- NOW FULL / CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any way that we can book a king size for 2 adults and 1 3yr old? Our little one loves to sleep with us and its a tight fit in a queen (which we have at home) so when we stay at a "otel" we love to treat ourselves to the king bed. Thanks :-)

Personally with the Royal Rooms I would suggest asking for WHAT you want rather than WHERE. For example, in general terms Oak Manor is probably overall the better building in terms of ease of access for most of the facilities/etc, but arguably the best rooms of all for access to the South Depot and the main building would probably be in the northern wing of Parterre Place (see the maps). So if you asked for Oak then you have removed the possibility of them assigning you a pretty perfect room in Parterre, should one be free. Does that makes sense?

So I'd suggest letting them know what you want (e.g. close proximity to main building and to the main bus stop) rather than asking for Oak Manor per se.

Andre

[I'm busy for a day and suddenly we've added about four more pages here... phew!]

Andre, I thought that was going to be our little secret ;). I made note of this when you mentioned it some months ago. We've booked Royal Room Riveriew and requested close to South Depot as our first request. In the fax I plan to send 4 days before our arrival I'm explaining my reasons for that and also for the second & third portions of our request. Now that we're 5 weeks away from our first stay at POR I am super excited!

I am sooo excited! I finally booked POR for March 18th-25th. I did not think we were going to be able to go this year due to the price of plane tickets (over $2k for a family of 4 :() and the cost of Disney. Then SW released cheaper tickets and Disney released their new promo and my DH said to book it (we will be arriving on his Bday)! This will be a surprise trip for my 4 yo and 7 yo. Trust me it has been hard keeping it a secret! Here is my plan:
POR - Magnolia Bend - 6 days MYW PH - currently no dining plan but I think we are going to add quick service for the convenience - total cost before plane tickets......$2500 (before dining)! Not bad.....plus we don't rent a car we just use Disney Transportation so we will save money that way.
Can't wait...it has been almost 2 years!
How exciting. Our past two trips were surprises for girls and it was so much fun. Planning the surprise is almost as fun as planning the trip.

Hoping for a king beg in one of the mansions! Looking at the maps on the unofficial website, it doesn't look promising but we'll see.

No reason why not, there are lots of King Beds in the mansion buildings (OK, there are more in AB but that's only because there are more rooms in total in AB - and proportionally to the overall rooms, the mansions get a larger percentage of Kings). I assume you've booked a King Bed room already, so just put in a request for the mansions and most likely you'll do just fine.

I wanted to mention that there were 5 of us in an AB room and my 18 year old dd slept on the murphy bed. She is 5 ft 2 in tall and a size 14 and was very comfortable every night sleeping on it. We were told by a CM and multiple others that she wouldn't be able to sleep on it so brought an air mattress which we never used!

Yeah, I've been telling people the same. My 5'3" DD slept very well on one of the fold-down beds for two weeks. Not really big enough for a tall adult, but sufficient for anyone up to about 5'4" or so, and surprisingly comfortable.

Any way that we can book a king size for 2 adults and 1 3yr old?

Sadly no, the reservations system is not programmed to allow it, the limit is two people (plus an optional infant) for King Bed bookings. That said, the AB King Bed rooms will comfortably accommodate a third person on the pull-down bed, so you could book a regular room and put in a request for an AB King room if all possible (explaining your logic in the fax).

Andre

So excited to post we are definitely going to POR in May....I've booked our room, airfare, and passes. Now just to wait until May.....LOL! Can't believe it...its been 5 years since we've been. That time we stayed at the Poly....even though I liked the Poly and I have no complaints really....I missed POR. There is no resort as beautiful as POR!

Have a great day everyone!

Joanne

So excited to post we are definitely going to POR in May....I've booked our room, airfare, and passes. Now just to wait until May.....LOL! Can't believe it...its been 5 years since we've been. That time we stayed at the Poly....even though I liked the Poly and I have no complaints really....I missed POR. There is no resort as beautiful as POR!

Have a great day everyone!

Joanne

Well Welcome back and Congrats on your return!!!

Not anymore. All the Moderate resorts now have Cuisinart dual-cup type, supplied with free coffee pods.

My bad! I forgot what kind they were because we didn't use them. I put the coffee maker on a shelf and used our Keurig lol. Thanks for the correction. :)

Just booked a preferred room at POR for Oct 18-27. Crossing fingers that a good deal will become available between now and then!

We just stayed for the first time at POR in an Alligator Bayou room for one night before moving to our DVC villa. What a delightful resort! I did measure the "murphy bed" and the mattress is 5.5' by 2.5'.

If we decide to sell our DVC points, we could easily stay at POR. Walking around the resort the next morning was so pleasant.

Madasahatter74 said:
Just booked a preferred room at POR for Oct 18-27. Crossing fingers that a good deal will become available between now and then!

We'll be there then too, same dates! We requested a mansion room (pd for WV, but 2nd guessing that) so we'll see. AB would be OK too for the trundle, but I know DS and DD would fight over it, LOL. Can't wait! Are you on the Oct code watch thread? If nothing else, you should check into a AAA RO discount. We have 15% off for now, but hoping for a better deal or possibly FD. :)

We are staying at POR for the first time in June! We are really looking forward to it. The trip includes my sister's family (party of five), my parents and my family (party of four). We want to request rooms near each other (our top request). What should our other room requests be as far as location is concerned? We like to be central and don't mind a stroll. We will be driving to the parks, so near parking helps, but again not a necessity. We just want a fun, convenient area! TIA!!:goodvibes

Yeah I got obsessed also especially about POR.

Port Orleans certainly does have a unique way of getting into your blood doesn't it? I could be biased (I probably am in fact :) ) but, apart from the Poly and maybe WL/AKL, I can't really think of another Disney resort which seems to get quite the same level of "I've found my WDW home" loyalty.

Andre

We are staying at POR for the first time in June! We are really looking forward to it. The trip includes my sister's family (party of five), my parents and my family (party of four). We want to request rooms near each other (our top request). What should our other room requests be as far as location is concerned? We like to be central and don't mind a stroll. We will be driving to the parks, so near parking helps, but again not a necessity. We just want a fun, convenient area! TIA!!:goodvibes

Since Oak Manor has gone RR's, I have fallen in love with Acadian House. We had a standard room on the corner that faced the parking lot and courtyard and was close proximity to the outer bus stop. The walk was no more than five minutes to the main building each morning. But was an absolute delight.

looking to book POR for our next vacation. we are a family of 5 traveling next trip, and not sure if it would work to do one or two rooms. kids will be 11, 15,16 when we travel. any thoughts or is it just better to do 2 rooms. due to a situation on our last trip, we will however have 2 rooms for 2 nights that are comped for us(not sure to turn them into to 1 room for 4nights or jsut stay with 2 rooms and enjoy the space).

We leave for WDW in 5 days!!! I'm getting so excited, I'm having such a hard time not ruining the surprise and telling the kids :). I sent in my resort fax today (thanks again for your previous help Venom!), so I'm hoping it gets where it needs to go. I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to check in online for several days now, but it keeps telling me online checkin is unavailable and to try again later. I'm a little worried about not checking in ahead of time since we won't arrive at POR until very late (10pm arrival into MCO, then Magical Express to POR, all while lugging 3 small children and our multitude of baggage). Hopefully I can get through online checkin before we leave!!

We are planning to rent a stroller from an off-site company, probably Baby Wheels Orlando. Also planning to order some groceries to have delivered (diapers, wipes, quick breakfast items) probably from garden grocers. Our flight does not arrive until late on our arrival day (8pm) and we plan to be up and at the parks early the next morning. No time to wait around for strollers or food deliveries. If we were to have the stroller and groceries delivered on our arrival day, which for the stroller would be at 9am, would bell service hold those items for us until we arrived? If I order groceries and I order milk or juice that needs refrigerated do they have a refrigerator they can store it in or would I be better off not buying cold items?

Thanks!

And another question...
My sister's family and I will be joined by our parents for this trip. We will be surprising my two daughters and my three nieces with the arrival of Grandma and Papa. We plan to meet up at POR for the reveal and then head to DTD. Any thoughts on how/where we could do the reveal? I have visited POR briefly, but this is our first stay there.

Any suggestions/ideas will help out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!