Port Orleans Riverside FAQ thread --- 2012, Part Three --- NOW FULL / CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last spring when I was planning I remember reading a review or something that listed estimated walking times from place to place at POR. If this rings a bell can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. I'm not looking for an upgrade. I'm a 'take what ya get' kind of girl. Happy to be booked into a king room. Of course, I will make a location request ;) I was just curious about how upgrades worked. I never go to Disney expecting anything extra -- I'm just happy and grateful that I'm there at all! :goodvibes

I have a pretty cool example about how an upgrade works. I work in facilities management, so it made sense to me.

There are three rooms in inventory; three standard rooms and one riverview room. We are both booked in a standard room.

9:00 am - Maintenance is called, because one of the standard rooms has a maintenance issue with the sink. After assessment, Maintenance lets the resort front desk know the repairs won't be done until around 1 pm.

10:00 am - A value resort calls, due to overbooking, and needs a room. A standard room in a moderate would be an upgrade to that guest, so they give that room to the value resort.

11:00 am - You check in. They give you the last available standard room; waiting for the room out of inventory due to maintenance to come back online.

Noon - Maintenance calls and they are missing a part. The room will be out of inventory until at least 3 pm.

1:00 pm - I check in. The first standard room was given away to another resort; the second standard room was given to you; the last standard room is out of inventory due to maintenance; so rather than have me wait for the standard room, they opt to give me the upgrade.

Always the luck of the draw......and things you never have any control over.

Danjocass said:
Just found out that the big slide will be closed for maintenance for the whole month of January. Not sure it will even be warm enough to swim but its our first time at this resort and the slide looked awesome....well, at least the rest of the pool will be open. :) Also, we are checking in on the 18th, is it ok to fax my request on the 16th?

Seriously??? I hadn't heard this. We check in this Friday!

There would be four of us total
DH myself DD4 and DS 2

The two kids I wouldn't put in a bed together they not sleep they would just kick each other all night
We are in a similar situation. Dd 7 and dd 3, I cannot put them in the same bed with each other or wiht one of us. We are bringing an air mattress for the younger one. Hope we can make some room for her.

We are in a similar situation. Dd 7 and dd 3, I cannot put them in the same bed with each other or wiht one of us. We are bringing an air mattress for the younger one. Hope we can make some room for her.

It is definitely doable with a twin air mattress.

There is enough room in the closet to put it up against the wall when not in use.

Ok, so now that I see that people are booking other room categories besides standard with the new discount (grr for uninformed CM's) should I upgrade to garden view? What specific upside(s) are there? The only thing I really want is to be close to the main building. This will be our first trip without the stroller, as DD is 5 now - woo hoo! So maybe it is more important to be close to a bus stop? Or maybe I need to quit worrying and just leave it as is? We are currently booked May 28th-June7th in a standard RGR. Thanks in advance!

With all the promotions flying yes Garden view does seem much better. Plus it is a little better than looking at the parking lot when you step out of your room. One upside it Garden views sometimes can have a view of the beautiful fountains, or water streams that go buy. Garden views rooms are pretty much centralized so walking to the main building or directly to a bus stop are about the same distance. Royal Guest rooms I would try for a Oak Building GV with a view of the main waterfall. But if you have any trouble you can always message me if you have any questions.

Just found out that the big slide will be closed for maintenance for the whole month of January. Not sure it will even be warm enough to swim but its our first time at this resort and the slide looked awesome....well, at least the rest of the pool will be open. :) Also, we are checking in on the 18th, is it ok to fax my request on the 16th?

It does happen because of the slower attendance during those months. You can fax your requests in anytime under 30days because they show up in the system by then. But I would do it anytime around say 1-2 weeks out, gives them more time to map out a possibility if your request can be achieved.

Last spring when I was planning I remember reading a review or something that listed estimated walking times from place to place at POR. If this rings a bell can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Well as most on here would say, you can be anywhere on property in about 5-7 minutes give or take sight seeing. But I do remember seeing something somewhere that I believe Andre might have done, but I can't find it at the moment.

-------------------------------------

ShesAPirate

Stop stressing! King bed is pretty good. The Royals only have Queens so it is up to you to try and re-book or inquire about it. But that is up to you. But Relax sip some wine or something lol. Also above all don't let the big bad posts here start to sound bad to you. It has a way of getting to you.

It is definitely doable with a twin air mattress.

There is enough room in the closet to put it up against the wall when not in use.

Yeah I agree with you on this. Someone sent me a pic of this setup and it seemed to work.

ShesAPirate

Stop stressing! King bed is pretty good. The Royals only have Queens so it is up to you to try and re-book or inquire about it. But that is up to you. But Relax sip some wine or something lol. Also above all don't let the big bad posts here start to sound bad to you. It has a way of getting to you.

Hahaha, thank you! It's not so much stress as it is excitement. And I tend to over-think things... I'm sure we'll be happy in a king room. Like I said, we'll just be happy to be there! :banana:

And I will be sipping some wine as soon as I'm done with these stupid antibiotics (sinus infection). Can't wait! ;)

Hahaha, thank you! It's not so much stress as it is excitement. And I tend to over-think things... I'm sure we'll be happy in a king room. Like I said, we'll just be happy to be there! :banana:

And I will be sipping some wine as soon as I'm done with these stupid antibiotics (sinus infection). Can't wait! ;)

Yeah I hear ya. I had a cough so bad today that it literally felt I had pushed all the air out of my body and I was going to fall out. Wow don't know where it came from. But looked in the mirror and I looked blueish. Now I am good again but it was not fun to feel like that.

Oh no!! I had one over Easter, I feel for you xx
I had my first 'Christmas' drink last night with my fiancé (he was sick just before christmas and I've been in bed for over a week with flu!!)
All healthy now and counting down to February 6th!!!!!!!

With all the promotions flying yes Garden view does seem much better. Plus it is a little better than looking at the parking lot when you step out of your room. One upside it Garden views sometimes can have a view of the beautiful fountains, or water streams that go buy. Garden views rooms are pretty much centralized so walking to the main building or directly to a bus stop are about the same distance. Royal Guest rooms I would try for a Oak Building GV with a view of the main waterfall. But if you have any trouble you can always message me if you have any questions.

Thanks! I will call this afternoon to see if I can upgrade. Should not be a huge price difference. I think even River View was only $250 more! I already put a request on my reservation for Oak Manor, close to main building, but I suppose I could change that when I call too? Then, fax the same request 5 days or so out? Thanks again for all of your help!

Thanks! I will call this afternoon to see if I can upgrade. Should not be a huge price difference. I think even River View was only $250 more! I already put a request on my reservation for Oak Manor, close to main building, but I suppose I could change that when I call too? Then, fax the same request 5 days or so out? Thanks again for all of your help!

That all sounds like a great plan!!! Message me if you need any other help.

Thanks for this, even though it wasn't for me.:goodvibes I asked about requests for a Royal room a few pages ago, but it went unanswered because it was stuck among a fast moving group of posts ;) We are currently booked in a Royal-Garden View, but I wasn't sure if I should request Oak Manor due to closer location to the main areas, or Parterre Place due to the larger number of garden view rooms on the river side.
ETA: What is the "main waterfall" that you suggest requesting a view of? This will be our first time at POR :)

Yes! I spent a LONG time last night looking at pictures. We're first week of June...you?

I'm a teacher, so we have to wait until I'm out of school. We'll be there the second full week of June :banana: It's so hard to see my ticker with 150+ days on the Disney site! :eek:

Thanks for this, even though it wasn't for me.:goodvibes I asked about requests for a Royal room a few pages ago, but it went unanswered because it was stuck among a fast moving group of posts ;) We are currently booked in a Royal-Garden View, but I wasn't sure if I should request Oak Manor due to closer location to the main areas, or Parterre Place due to the larger number of garden view rooms on the river side.

Oh, so sorry it got buried. But glad it helped you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter