Port Orleans French Quarter Q&A Thread, New for 2012 (thread now FULL and CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Booked a bounceback offer at the end of our stay at POR last week. FL Res and AP rates for April 18-21 for POFQ are $656. Bounceback for $507. Crazy! Looking forward to being back at FQ, we had a great time there in December. Very convenient for a stay with a 19 month old who needs milk heated up twice a day!

All the resorts have a possibility of towel creations, it's just luck of the draw if your mousekeeper actually does them. I didn't get any the first time but this last time I got a bird with mardigras beads.

I've been on trips (I usually split stay) where I got nothing from anywhere and this last trip (3 resorts) I got something at each one. I do sometimes call off service but I've walked into creatures on my first day.

I tip each time, everyday (extra when I ask for something in particular), I'm reasonably neat and I've always been adult only no kids. So I don't think any of those are a factor.

We usually tip daily also - one of the web sites has envelopes that you can print specific for the Mousekeeper, really cute. My husband and I also tend to pick up the room and I am one of those OCD types that makes the beds. Our daughter's room was a bit more cluttered and she did not inherit my OCD tendencies and she did not always remember to leave a tip every day. They also had towel friends left but not on a daily basis and not as elaborate and fancy as ours. My granddaughter did receive lots of beads and coins from CMs around the resort as well as a few pkgs of pixie dust. pixiedust:

Booked a bounceback offer at the end of our stay at POR last week. FL Res and AP rates for April 18-21 for POFQ are $656. Bounceback for $507. Crazy! Looking forward to being back at FQ, we had a great time there in December. Very convenient for a stay with a 19 month old who needs milk heated up twice a day!

FANTASTIC! For our January 2014 vacation our youngest granddaughter will be just under 20 months and her big sister will be 5. Have gone to WDW in the past when our children were young and also when they were teenagers and adults. For sure, prefer going with the little ones - the best memories - well worth whatever extra planning is involved. We are hoping for a bounceback to return in the Fall of 2014. Would love to be at WDW for the Wine and Food Festival

Thanks all for the replies about towel animals. I'm so looking forward to see one.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

If you ask, housekeeping should give you extras of the Cuisinart [ods. I just happen to prefer the taste of the Senseo ones--I also make my coffee there with bottled water though, so I clearly have some coffee issues :rotfl2:

Um, well, we are bringing three 35-packs of water with us and some of it is definitely designated for the coffee! We are on well water and we have THE BEST WATER anywhere. Just can't do the whole tap water thing. And we both are big water drinkers.

I'll be there those dates . . . and paying a lot more than you are!

Could you elaborate on the bounceback offers? Are they usually for the same year or can I use the bounceback for any period of time? I arrive this Wednesday and stay for 22 days and I'd like to book for November/14. Is that possible?

The February 2013 Recreation Activities and Movie Schedules for Port Orleans French Quarter are now available. See the main Recreation Activities Schedule page for a full-size PDF version, or click on the image below.

The outdoor movies will start at 7pm and the daily campfires commence at 5:30pm this month. And if youre going to be at Port Orleans for Mardi Gras, dont forget the special parade of decorated pargo carts which the cast members organise every year at 1:30pm on Tuesday 12 February.

Andre

I wish I could go back to PORFQ instead of being trapped in Coronado! I booked a split stay, 7 nights POR and 12 CSR. My first week was awesome, today is my 2nd night at CRS and the room is awful, it's dirty, the rails of the curtains in the bathroom are oxidised, the painting is pealed and they only offered to send someone to maintain the room, they don't have rooms in other moderate resort and they will charge extra to take me to other kind of room (about $5.000 per 10 nights) :( not having a great disney moment

I wish I could go back to PORFQ instead of being trapped in Coronado

Doesn't sound good, sorry you're having a bad time. I'm really surprised that they can't do anything for you at one of the other resorts - the first week in Feb is not usually 100% full! (Although CSR might have a conference on, which could make chaning rooms there a problem). Have you tried visiting the front desk at POR or POFQ directly and asking them in person? Or ask to speak to the Guest Services Operations Manager. It really doesn't sound very Disney at all.

Andre

Just home from a short stay first time at POFQ. WHat a gorgeous resort. We were in building 6 and faced the campfire for s'mores. Rooms were spacious. We were very happy.

Implemented the new card system (need pin to use room key to charge) the first day we were there so when we arrived at 9:35 off the DCL bus, the whole computer system was down. They comped us two free park tickets. Very pleased overall.

Doesn't sound good, sorry you're having a bad time. I'm really surprised that they can't do anything for you at one of the other resorts - the first week in Feb is not usually 100% full! (Although CSR might have a conference on, which could make chaning rooms there a problem). Have you tried visiting the front desk at POR or POFQ directly and asking them in person? Or ask to speak to the Guest Services Operations Manager. It really doesn't sound very Disney at all.

Andre

I agree with Andre. Bypass the CSR people and go to POFQ and talk to someone there. There surely are rooms available.

andrewilley said:

Andre

I tried disney web reservation an it doesn't show any availability :( the lady at concierge desk called every resort and went to talk with her manager in person.. There's gonna be a marathon and that's why the dates are blocked. They can't tqke me to other resort and then move me back (that was the last answer I've got)

I tried disney web reservation an it doesn't show any availability :( the lady at concierge desk called every resort and went to talk with her manager in person.. There's gonna be a marathon and that's why the dates are blocked. They can't tqke me to other resort and then move me back (that was the last answer I've got)

The marathon isn't until the weekend after President's Weekend... sounds very odd to me.

Andr

andrewilley said:
The marathon isn't until the weekend after President's Weekend... sounds very odd to me.

Andr

They have availability until feb 7th, and they can't let me move for 5 days and then bring me back. That was their answer.

Just back from a fantastic 10 days at FQ. Great location in bldg 4. Request was 4 or 5 outside corner room and that's what I got, next to food court too :goodvibes

Room was nice and kept clean. No fancy towels like some do for your toothbrushes, and the fan folding to put toiletries in. Got it once or twice guess when regular mousekeeper was off ;). Did get towel animal our last day. But as long as room was clean, it's good. The rest is gravy.

Bus service was great. We never shared. Only one night well after park closing. We had dinner at Narcossees and got to MK bus 45 min after park closing.

We used the hot tub some. Even pool mid afternoon when the temps got into high 70, low 80s :goodvibes.

We love the boat to DTD. And walked over to Riverside a couple of times for the pasta bar. Yum.

We already have our August YC vacay booked but decided to come in 2 days early and booked the BB for FQ for 2 days. But now thinking we may enjoy trying the Royal Rooms over in Riverside ::yes::

Being that I love Riverside, I didn't know if I'd like FQ, but I did. Don't know if in summer I would miss not having the quiet pool. Even in Jan it wasn't easy finding lounges at the pool. We went to the back of the pool by river and actually prefer it back there. But even most of those chairs were taken. Just an observation. All in all we really loved it there.

There's a possibility we'll be at POFQ in May 2014 - yep, plenty of time to prepare! But it's our second 'trip of a lifetime' :laughing: and I wont get anywhere near WDW again at least until all my children are adults :(

Anyway, I'm reading through this thread and getting excited! I have plenty of time so am taking it all in, currently on page 56 :laughing:

POFQ looks nice, though I think I'm going to miss the more bright and Disney feel of ASMu - we did love it there! I must admit also that the Mardi Gras decorations are quite creepy to me! But I'm sure that once there, like with ASMu, we will love it :)

The reason we are thinking of changing is because of our budget - it looks as though two rooms at POFQ with free DDP will cost less than a family suite and paying for food separate at ASMu.
It will be me and my husband plus our 4 children and baby. We're going to need connecting rooms and that's the one question I've not seen come up in this thread so far!
How do I go about it? And how likely is it that we'll get it?
Ideally I'd like a room that we can see the pool from, so I can let my bigger children go swim but still keep an eye on them - I'd have to pay more for this wouldn't I? Not sure I can so might have to go without that.

The free dining plan - as we didn't get that before it's new to me. Do they only do this offer at certain times of year? Looking at it for May 2013 it's there, does that mean I'm likely to get it if we don't book until early 2014?

I do hope that POFQ is as good as you all say it is! I was so geared up for returning to ASMu as we love it there, but I'm willing to change! Plus we spend most of our day in the parks anyway, and only really return to hotel to collapse and sleep!

Thanks for this FANTASTIC thread! It's informative, friendly and makes everything so exciting too!

Thank you

for answer to my pool question. Hopefully can pack wetsuit for him in medical bag weight allowance

More I read more i am excited about staying at POFQ for trip o fa lifetime

Just back from a fantastic 10 days at FQ. Great location in bldg 4. Request was 4 or 5 outside corner room and that's what I got, next to food court too :goodvibes

We stayed in Building 4 also but noted that it seemed a "designated smoking" area was right outside the food court and although we did not stay on that side of Building 4 we wondered if for those rooms closest to that area if it was a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!