Port Orleans French Quarter Q&A Thread, New for 2012 (thread now FULL and CLOSED)

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by andrewilley, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwdebbie

pwdebbie DIS Veteran

Returning from a park one night in Nov. 2010 (might have been MK), our bus went around POR first, never stopped at what I would call the "main" stop and then went back to POFQ. Thing is (1) we waited for another bus because we need to be seated and (2) dh desperately needed to get to the bathroom. :scared1:

When I saw we were going around POR first, I told him we'd just get off at the first stop and then walk down to POFQ after he used the facilities. But the driver skipped it. I assumed he would hit it last and then go to POFQ but he never even stopped there. Then, instead of using the internal roads to get to POFQ he went out to the main roads and back in to POFQ through the front gate.

I actually think he forgot that he was supposed to do POFQ. I don't know when it dawned on him. :confused3 Maybe when he was back out on the main road and realized his bus was still half full? :rolleyes2

However, I would say that this is NOT the norm.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. bookgirl2632

bookgirl2632 DIS Veteran

When we stayed at POR, I don't recall ever stopping at POFQ. We were down during free dining in September. It wasn't crazy busy during our stay. But coming back from the parks, we never stopped at POFQ. I guess they had dedicated busses at that time.

4. strmtroopr96

strmtroopr96 DIS Veteran

Which building did you get? We were there at the same time and were in building 2, room 2332. It was an awesome room, corner so 2 windows with one overlooking the slide and the other overlooking the river/boat dock. I did NOT want to leave!! LOL

5. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

Sounds like you were upgraded to garden view or you'd be looking at a parking lot.

I agree for me it's not worth booking water or river view at a mod, because of lack of balcony, but I do book garden view, because I don't want to back onto a parking lot, and have the noise of cars coming and going, at all times, esp the horn beep when door locks!

6. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

I think they may pick up at FQ first in the morning? At park closing they may have dedicated bus service. I noticed at MK there are 2 separate stops, one for Riverside and one for FQ.

7. ncc1701

ncc1701 Scotty I need Warp 10 to WDW

During our last trip we went to the parks without a stop at POR when we were going 1st thing . It was when we went to/from a park mid-day early evening that we shared (& even then not on every trip).

8. MJ6987

MJ6987 DIS Veteran

Hi,
    My wife has read on a couple of Trip Advisor reviews that the corner rooms are bigger - is this right? If so, by how much? And, are they premium rooms or just a request thing?

I have never heard of this before.

Thanks.
    :)

9. andrewilley

andrewilley Port Orleans Guru

No, they are not bigger, although they can feel a bit more spacious due to more light coming from that extra window.

The only rooms that do have any difference in overall floor space are the few in which they have 'bumped out' the indented alcove next to the front door. This was done for Accessible rooms where they needed to accommodate an additional wardrobe plus the new queen size beds, but still allow space for a wheelchair. However the practical layout of the resort means that if one room of a pair was modified, they also needed to do the same with the next-door room - so on rare occasions you might find yourself in a regular room which also has the extra bumped out area (next door to an Accessible room). It's not a massive difference, but it does add a few square feet to the room.

Andre

10. Hootch

Hootch DIS Veteran

experience with late check-out? I am trying to plan our trip next summer and wonder if a late check-out is doable.

11. dansdad

dansdad DIS Veteran

It's possible, but it is up to Mousekeeping. You will have to call them that morning and see if it's possible.

12. MJ6987

MJ6987 DIS Veteran

Ah, right. I thought it didn't sound right! Thanks again.

13. bookgirl2632

bookgirl2632 DIS Veteran

The corner rooms do feel bigger which is why we like to request a corner room. So far, we've managed to always get one.

14. MichellelovesMickey

MichellelovesMickey Mouseketeer

Are the corner rooms only King rooms? Or are there some Double Queen rooms?
    At POFQ.

15. Missytara

Missytara I'm all ears!

They can be either.

16. Kathy Z

Kathy Z Counting my Blessings

3 of our 4 trips since 2009 we have asked for and received a late check-out. PP is correct that it is up to Housekeeping. Each time I requested it I was able to have it confirmed the evening before check-out. We were granted a 2 hour extension in each case, until 1 pm. Those stays were at the Poly and AKL but I doubt that made any difference.

17. Golf4food

Golf4food Mouseketeer<br><font color=red>Male pirate last ti

We are booked at POFQ for Dec 9-15 in a river view room. Is there one specifically we should request to be away from the boat dock? We have a toddler (will be around 18 months by then) so he'll be in bed by around 8pm or so and I know the boats run later and don't want the horns to wake him up, etc.

Aside from the horns we could care less which building or room we are in - walking a little farther doesn't bother us a bit, especially in such a small resort.

18. andrewilley

andrewilley Port Orleans Guru

To be honest it's not really a big issue (the doors in moderates are pretty solid!) but if you are concerned then I would avoid building 2 (and maybe 5). 1 and 7 are the furthest away, but I think I'd suggest a river view in 6 would be a nice choice for less noise but still not too far to walk.

Andre

19. Belle4311

Belle4311 Earning My Ears

Hubs and I plan on using our snack credits to have a simple breakfast in the morning. (Since we have coffee in our room, we don't need a beverage.) Does anyone know what counts as a snack at the POFQ food court area? The DP pamphlet says that cereal/milk counts as a QS so that's out of the question...

Last year this wasn't an issue, since we drove, we brought granola bars and juice boxes, but we're flying now, so I'm not sure what to do....

Any ideas would be welcome!

20. Dancegrl624

Dancegrl624 DIS Veteran

I know that you can get 3 beignets for 1 snack credit. Yum! I'm guessing you could get a bagel or muffin too.

21. Belle4311

Belle4311 Earning My Ears

Well, I'm sold on beignets! I was born and raised in New Orleans, so that would be a nice treat! But, I wonder then, why can you get a bagel (with cream cheese, I'm assuming) and that counts as a snack, but one of those mini boxes of cereal with milk counts as quick service? Makes no sense to me. :confused3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.