Port Orleans French Quarter Q&A Thread, New for 2012 (thread now FULL and CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
annmorr said:
I just returned last night from 4 nights at POFQ.....Here are a few random facts for anyone needing them:

Rooms: We had three rooms booked Garden View, and had requested first floor, but were thrilled to be given three rooms 1st floor (with two of them connecting and the other one adjacent) in Building 6 River View. (6133, 6134 and 6135 to be exact). They were just steps from the fire pit (for the marshmallow roast) and around the corner from the nightly movie. In about 10 visits to POFQ and having stayed in lots of different buildings/floors/rooms, these were our most favorite rooms!

Buses: 1st day to EPCOT @ 5 p.m. shared the bus with Riverside
2nd day to HS @ 8 a.m. shared the bus with Riverside
3rd day to MK @ 8 a.m. did not share with Riverside
4th day to Animal Kingdom shared with Riverside ( and dropped off and picked up at Blizzard Beach both ways.)
5th day To Polynesian @ 8 a.m.; the driver dropped off one family at the TTC for their breakfast reservation at the Contemporary, then took us directly to the Polynesian for our reservation. (There were no other passengers on the bus)
We did not share any buses on any of our return trips from the parks.

Pool: Was great for the first 4 days, then was closed on the fifth day. According to cm's the pump "blew up" overnight, and it would be a major repair. The lifeguards drove families up to Riverside via golf cart which was a nice way to go! But of course the pool there then was very crowded with guests from both resorts so we only stayed about an hour, then had another golf cart ride.

Food: We only ate twice at French Quarter, but were happy with both the "make your own" salad the first time, and the dinner options as well (pot roast, and fried chicken were both very good. But are favorite quick service meal was Downtown at Wolfgang Puck's... the roasted vegetable pizza was amazing.

Housekeeping: was good the first few days, but they skipped two of our rooms on the fourth day, and we had to call for them to service the room about 5 p.m. They did do a good job though, and left one towel bunny.

Weather: Hot but not unbearable, with an occasional storm that never lasted too long.

Parks: Never felt overly crowded to us, and we only ran into the infamous tour groups at Magic Kingdom. They filled the entire bus queue area so that it was very difficult to get past them to our bus lines, and of course their loud chanting was not what anyone wanted to hear on leaving the park at 10:30 p.m.

Observations: Love POFQ and can't wait to go back again!

Any idea how long the pool will be down?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Oh no we r coming from the uk on tues. ALL my dd gies on about is the slide in the pool :-(
Any news plse???

:cool1:Staying at POFQ November 23-December 2, I would love to do the Dessert party with my mother. Do you know when the November reservations will be opening up? I read that the reservations open up in the afternoon, do they sell out fast as I will be at work?

http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2699362

Yes, they do sell out quickly. Subscribe to the link above - lots of good info on when dates have historically become available. Also, people will post when they've made their ressies so it will give you a good idea of when your date might come up. I stalked for weeks until I was lucky enough to snag a reservation for 7/4. Sure hope you get to experience this - it was phenomenal! :hyper:

Thanks for the reply Andre! ( One day I will get to the West End :goodvibes!)

Does anybody know if they sell distilled water in the gift shop?

I know they have bottled water but distilled is needed for some medical equipment a family member will have.

If not I will order it online but it would be great if they had it onsite.

Thanks!!!!
Margaret

I just returned last night from 4 nights at POFQ.....Here are a few random facts for anyone needing them:

Buses:

5th day To Polynesian @ 8 a.m.; the driver dropped off one family at the TTC for their breakfast reservation at the Contemporary, then took us directly to the Polynesian for our reservation. (There were no other passengers on the bus)
We did not share any buses on any of our return trips from the parks.

Observations: Love POFQ and can't wait to go back again!

How did you snag your own bus to the Poly? Pretty neat!

I know they have bottled water but distilled is needed for some medical equipment a family member will have.

No idea, but try the WDW Special Assistance line (1-407-939-7807) who should be able to find out for you.

Andre

averill94 said:
Thanks for the reply Andre! ( One day I will get to the West End :goodvibes!)

Does anybody know if they sell distilled water in the gift shop?

If not I will order it online but it would be great if they had it onsite.

Thanks!!!!
Margaret

Margaret - they do not offer Distilled water. Try Wego Shopping.com. - In my opionon it is the most affordable and no minimum. You choose the store, brand and the product. They will shop and deliver to your Resort. I use to order from other Groc delivery companies but I ended up ordering thing I did not use to reach the minimum. Ended up giving it away as we left the Resort.

Margaret - they do not offer Distilled water. Try Wego Shopping.com. - In my opionon it is the most affordable and no minimum. You choose the store, brand and the product. They will shop and deliver to your Resort. I use to order from other Groc delivery companies but I ended up ordering thing I did not use to reach the minimum. Ended up giving it away as we left the Resort.

Oh this is great news!!! Thank you so much for responding :)

I too have used the other grovery delivery...trying to save a few bucks then buying things to reach the minimum!!

I really appreciate it.

sorry Andre.......:headache: I "guessed" your name....:mad:

Just you always have so much info on the hotel, I wondered if you knew about the pool please?

We just checked-in to Port Orleans :yay: received building 2 bottom floor corner room :yay: but are having trouble with the mini fridge :confused3 does anyone know how to make them cooler? Also, how long does it take for them to cool off?

Question about breakfast ...

What time does Sassagoulas begin serving hot, cooked items? We are doing KTTK on 09/20 and will need breakfast at around 6:30 a.m. MK opens for AM EMH that day at 8 a.m., so we were thinking maybe they started serving at 6 a.m.? Or can we only buy items out of bakery counter at that hour?

TIA for help! :goodvibes

We just checked-in to Port Orleans :yay: received building 2 bottom floor corner room :yay: but are having trouble with the mini fridge :confused3 does anyone know how to make them cooler? Also, how long does it take for them to cool off?

If it were me, I'd just go to the front desk. I dont recall if it was last year or the year before, but we had a problem with our fridge freezing stuff (not so great when it's your salad!) and we just rang the front desk and they came and changed it for us.

General question for all resort quick service restaurants. If you are on the DDP and go to the food court for lunch or dinner what are the snack options? I know it states you get a drink, meal and dessert but what qualifies as a dessert? Is it pre determined?

Question about breakfast ...

What time does Sassagoulas begin serving hot, cooked items? We are doing KTTK on 09/20 and will need breakfast at around 6:30 a.m. MK opens for AM EMH that day at 8 a.m., so we were thinking maybe they started serving at 6 a.m.? Or can we only buy items out of bakery counter at that hour?

TIA for help! :goodvibes

The Bakery opens at 6 a.m. (til 12 midnight), and full breakfasts are served from 7 a.m. til 11 a.m.

General question for all resort quick service restaurants. If you are on the DDP and go to the food court for lunch or dinner what are the snack options? I know it states you get a drink, meal and dessert but what qualifies as a dessert? Is it pre determined?

At French Quarter food court you can choose a dessert from the Bakery (cupcakes, brownies, cookies, carot cake, etc.). I think that you might also be able to choose a Mickey Bar, or a bowl of ice cream as a dessert or a snack.

We had the same problem. Pull the frig out and at the bottom right (Looking at the frig from the front view), there is a dial to adjust the temp. It takes about 2 hours empty and overnight full.

DD walks up to Mousekeeping office with the box and shares with them we are leaving today and can I have 25 shampoo, 25 facial soap and 25 blue bag soaps. They asked her this time what room are you in? She tells them and the Mousekeeping Supervisor told her let me have the box and I will knock on your door in 30 minutes. Low and Behold Mousekeeping comes back with the box full. DD gives her 10.00 and thanks her.

DD has done this the past few years and gets away with it. I do not have the nerve to ask because I know they will just say no like they are supposed to.

What does she do with all that? I feel fine bringing home an extra soap or two, but that is a LOT of soap? Donate to women's shelters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter