Port Orleans French Quarter Q&A Thread, New for 2012 (thread now FULL and CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone :wave. I will be staying at POFQ for the first time in 6 days. My question to you guys is are the rooms really as dark as the seem in the pictures, or do they look better when seen in person. TIA.

Never understood this dark issue, being a big fan if WL, it's what I always read here is that the rooms are dark...

Rooms are dark because there's only a sliding glass door only or at POFQ, one window... If you shut the drapes or shears at either room, yes it's dark... Who would want the sun blazing in their resort room.... As for lighting... there's ample lighting fixtures to brighten the room...

Decor is decent, never saw dark drab paint or paper in a room... So bottom line... I've never encountered any room at any resort on property being dark, and we've stayed at many a resort..!

My question to you guys is are the rooms really as dark as the seem in the pictures.

I don't think the rooms even look dark in pictures to be honest. Not the properly exposed ones, anyway. :)

POFQ-Room-FQrefurb-22xx-2011-3686_forum.jpg

See http://www.portorleans.org/gallery-POFQ-Rooms.php.

Andre

I don't think the rooms are dark at all. It's just right. Very cozy!

Hi everyone :wave. I will be staying at POFQ for the first time in 6 days. My question to you guys is are the rooms really as dark as the seem in the pictures, or do they look better when seen in person. TIA.

The problem is that most people use the wrong setting when taking pictures of the room and they come out yellowish and dark. The rooms are fine, lots of light when you open the drapes.

We are here now and have had a wonderful stay and family reunion vacation at POFQ. Rooms are very nice, comfy beds, lovely grounds and enjoyed the pool. Absolutely no complaints from anyone in our group about the food court, but it is a food court, not five star cuisine. Everyone here very helpful and friendly.

The only negative is that the lobby refurbishment is definitely not magical. You are greeted at the entrance by green plywood walls on either side of the doors. it just doesn't look nice, but I knew to expect it. Check in is in a very small room that much have been the lobby of the old restaurant, not the main part of the restaurant, computers are rigged up with wires everywhere, and same for the concierge desk which is on two tables in the corner of the lobby, with computers rigged up. not a biggie, but For me it takes away from the ambiance of the resort. Yes, I know you don't spend much time in the lobby but at POFQ you walk through it each time you go to the bus stop, so you look at alot of green plywood!

Thank you so much for this thread! I've been subscribed to it for weeks now, and we finally pulled the trigger and booked our December vacation this morning!

What's wrong with the food court?

I realize its just a food court but the food is just not good. My daughter got the pizza and that was ok but I got the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich and it was like they dipped it in salt and the chicken was very dry. My daughter got the Quesadillas and hardly any chicken and cheese on it. Yes, the Beignets are good and the ice cream sandwiches. Otherwise the resort is amazing and the CM's pool etc just wonderful.

I realize its just a food court but the food is just not good. My daughter got the pizza and that was ok but I got the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich and it was like they dipped it in salt and the chicken was very dry. My daughter got the Quesadillas and hardly any chicken and cheese on it. Yes, the Beignets are good and the ice cream sandwiches. Otherwise the resort is amazing and the CM's pool etc just wonderful.

I was just curious. I don't have real high expectations of "resort" food. I find it all (not just Disney, everywhere), just so so and overpriced. Kinda looking forward to this trip NOT being on the dining plan and having a rental car so we can eat when & where we want and even off property some.

Hi all. I have a strange question to ask. Last night I had an awful dream where we arrived back at our room one night to a note on the door that stated due to lower capacity at the resort, the pool would be closing every night at 8:00 pm. Please tell me that this won't happen in August during Free Dining! We are planning to be there from Aug. 21 thru Aug. 28, and now my teen daughters are freaking out because they over heard me telling DH about my dream. So, I promised them I would ask and see what time the pool closes. We like to swim at night, especially after we've been at the parks all day in the summer heat! I'd hate to have to walk over to the quiet pools at POR. In the past we've stayed at CBR and been able to swim until almost 12:00 at the main pools and certainly at the quiet pools. So we are making sure before we arrive.

Hi all. I have a strange question to ask. Last night I had an awful dream where we arrived back at our room one night to a note on the door that stated due to lower capacity at the resort, the pool would be closing every night at 8:00 pm. Please tell me that this won't happen in August during Free Dining! We are planning to be there from Aug. 21 thru Aug. 28, and now my teen daughters are freaking out because they over heard me telling DH about my dream. So, I promised them I would ask and see what time the pool closes. We like to swim at night, especially after we've been at the parks all day in the summer heat! I'd hate to have to walk over to the quiet pools at POR. In the past we've stayed at CBR and been able to swim until almost 12:00 at the main pools and certainly at the quiet pools. So we are making sure before we arrive.

I don't actually have an answer for you, but I do have a question. Did you get free dining starting 8/21? How'd you manage that? Just being curious....

I have a problem and I'm wondering if it's a UK issue, or something else.

I've been doing dummy bookings for POFQ, to try and compare prices, etc.

This is the site I'm on:
http://www.disneypackages.co.uk/

I want to go POFQ 13-27 May 2014, Standard view.
This should also give me free dining, 14 for 7 tickets, etc.

But I can not get a standard view room.
It shows the options to select Garden and Water view and has the faded box for standard kingsize (our party is too big so not an allowed option), but no sign at all of Standard.

If I cut off the second week it works, so is there something going on with Standard rooms that week? Or is it a computer glitch? Or something else?

Slightly confused :confused:

I don't actually have an answer for you, but I do have a question. Did you get free dining starting 8/21? How'd you manage that? Just being curious....

I booked it last year while we were there as a bounce back. All it takes is a $200 Deposit, so I always make sure to save $200 to book a Bounce back in case its offered and then I know I have Free Dining in August. I've done it now for at least 4 years.

I booked it last year while we were there as a bounce back. All it takes is a $200 Deposit, so I always make sure to save $200 to book a Bounce back in case its offered and then I know I have Free Dining in August. I've done it now for at least 4 years.

Gotcha--thanks! We're checking in 8/25 with the free dining PIN and I was thinking that was the earliest possible date. Now it makes sense!

This is the site I'm on:

It shows the options to select Garden and Water view and has the faded box for standard kingsize (our party is too big so not an allowed option), but no sign at all of Standard.

If I cut off the second week it works, so is there something going on with Standard rooms that week? Or is it a computer glitch? Or something else?

They may not have any Standard Rooms available. They may be all booked up for the entire time, and have some available for part of the time.

Gotcha--thanks! We're checking in 8/25 with the free dining PIN and I was thinking that was the earliest possible date. Now it makes sense!

Well actually the FD Bounce back offer begins on the 17th, but we took advantage of lower AirTran flight prices in the middle of the week, so we changed our dates to accommodate that.

I was just curious. I don't have real high expectations of "resort" food. I find it all (not just Disney, everywhere), just so so and overpriced. Kinda looking forward to this trip NOT being on the dining plan and having a rental car so we can eat when & where we want and even off property some.

I've stayed at POFQ 3 times, and always found the offerings at the food court to be very good. Nothing fancy, but good.

They may not have any Standard Rooms available. They may be all booked up for the entire time, and have some available for part of the time.

I did think this - but wow, a whole year in advance?
I guess I just thought it would still show on the screen, but not be selectable, IYKWIM.

I'm gutted sad if that is the case though :(

This is the site I'm on:

I thought you couldn't book packages yet for 2014? Maybe that's why things are showing "unavailable". :confused3

I've stayed at POFQ 3 times, and always found the offerings at the food court to be very good. Nothing fancy, but good.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter