Port Orleans French Quarter Q&A Thread, New for 2012 (thread now FULL and CLOSED)

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by andrewilley, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sundancer UK

Sundancer UK DIS Veteran

Thank you both! I'm armed with new material to get on with now :)
    (to add to research about pin codes, chances of bargains from the uk, working out where we can eat... I'm so new to this and completely lost!)

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. andrewilley

andrewilley Port Orleans Guru

Double Post (no idea how, I only typed it once!)

4. TooBoyz4us

TooBoyz4us <font color=red>Run! The Tag Fairies are everywhe

5. sunsetbeachgal

sunsetbeachgal DIS Veteran

Here now...loving this resort!! We are in building five, second floor. The pool is great, grounds lovely, staff is very friendly and helpful and we enjoyed taking the boat to downtown Disney. A great day at a great resort!!

6. bas71873

bas71873 DIS Veteran

Is the POFQ food court going to be closed for refurb starting Nov. 30? Just read that on the Dec DISers FB page and IF its true, I need to change resorts. That doesn't make me happy. Can anyone confirm or deny?

7. siskaren

siskaren DIS Veteran

If it's not on Andre's website I'd have a hard time believing it's true.

8. darnheather

darnheather DIS Veteran

9. Backstage_Gal

Backstage_Gal <font color=darkorchid>Let me rephrase the dog ste

For the second time, totally false

10. andrewilley

Yes they did, it's in the first "7 Resorts in 7 Days" segment (episode number 569, part way down the page) not the initial weekly news/updates part.

They covered both POFQ and POR in fact, and I seem to recall that Port Orleans came out as the team's overall favourite from all of the resorts they visited.

It is untrue, as Backstage Gal has said (and believe me, she should know!). Could you let us have a link to the FB page in question? (Is it this one: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/122010097961024/ ?)

Andre

11. bas71873

bas71873 DIS Veteran

OK. Sorry. Didn't see the first post about this and yes, I searched before I asked.

It is. And the person that stated it has since said she was incorrect. What is your website that I should be following? This will be our first stay at POFQ (even though I've booked there 3 times in the past and then bail for a deluxe with a good PIN.). We are looking forward to giving it a try!

12. darnheather

darnheather DIS Veteran

I listened to 568. Thanks for the exact episode number.

13. TooBoyz4us

TooBoyz4us <font color=red>Run! The Tag Fairies are everywhe

You want to view the video of episode 569.About half way down the page.
    The POFQ review starts around the 12:00 mark or so.
    Hope that helps :)

14. Whereisalyssa

Whereisalyssa Self Proclaimed Princess and former CM!

If possible I would like to know which options are given for room location when doing online check-in. We are able to do online check-in in 3 days and we have already booked pool view but would also like to request building 5! :) thanks!

15. pepe of ohio

pepe of ohio DIS Veteran

Not much, handicap, pack in play ... Stupid stuff but nowhere to address view, building location.... Total waste if you ask me... We called and had it, location, building etc floor listed on our reservation.... Only reason we did the on line reservation was to list our arrival time hoping to get an early check in, like 10am vs 3pm....

We have got our building , floor and corner room and as for early check in, room ready earliest 11:00am

16. snykymom

snykymom Still tagless after all these years

Andre's website is www.portorleans.org. Great site, with almost everything you need to know! (If it were really everything, we wouldn't need this thread, now would we?:lmao: )

17. Ness2289

Ness2289 I'm Almost There...

Here now. Checked in this morning around 10:30. Booked a standard room and requested bldg. 4, second floor, close to transportation. Received Garden View, Bldg. 2, second floor and corner room. No complaints about not getting my request!! First time here and it is definitely a compact resort. The only thing that didn't happen was my text to let us know our room was ready. I finally called the front desk after 3:00 and found out it was ready. Our bags had already arrived from DME as well.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

18. mom2taylorandemily

mom2taylorandemily Not so patiently waiting our next trip to Disney..

Your requests vs. what you got has me a bit nervous about my requests. I asked for Bldg. 4, corner room, close to bus, and anything above first floor. Fingers crossed.

19. tinkerone

tinkerone DIS Veteran

forgive me but I really don't want to read through 166 pages. are there any 'special' rooms at pofq? when I look at booking its either garden view or river view. If I go to pors there are tons more catagories. just wondering if all the rooms are the same just different spots or do they have special rooms like the tiana rooms at river side.
    tia

20. dansdad

dansdad DIS Veteran

No need to read through all 166 pages, just post #1.

There are now five room categories: Standard, Garden View, King Bed, Pool View and River View. Each room category has its own pricing level. There are no preferred locations at this resort as it is so compact that it does not really need them.

Standard View rooms almost all face the parking lots, while Garden View guarantees that you wont be looking out over a parking lot and you should get a more pleasant view of gardens, courtyards, fountains, etc.
    Pool View gives you an upper floor room overlooking the main swimming pool, while River View will be overlooking the Sassagoula River.
    King Bed rooms contain just one King-size bed instead of two queens and can be located anywhere in the resort. Some have Pool or River views, but they still need to be booked using the King Bed category.
    Disability Accessible rooms can also be booked, mostly featuring two queen beds although a few King Bed options are available. Some have roll-in showers while others feature bathtubs with easy wheelchair access.
    For a complete guide to the booking category of every room at the resort, including clickable floorplan layouts of each building, please see the portorleans.org pages for French Quarter.

So no, there are no special rooms like the Royal Rooms at POR.

21. andrewilley

Disney have always said that requests are NOT GUARANTEED - so there's nothing to be "nervous" about, just remember that you may (or may not) get your request granted and then just enjoy whatever you happen to get.

It does emphasise my point that you should say WHAT you want from a particular location, rather than just giving a building number, so they might be able to find you something similar to match your wishes if they can't get a very specific location for you.

But really, POFQ is so small that location requests (other than for medical reasons) are almost not needed anyway.

Andre

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.