• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

The final line in the link Andre posted above reads: "There has been no announcement as yet as to who will be replacing Tom."
Oops sorry. I didn't click Andre's link. It popped up in my Facebook feed, but it didn't mention anything about a replacement.

Hello,
I've been a lurker for years, but finally decided to start posting!
My husband is taking me on this trip to celebrate my 50th birthday! We are staying at POFQ May 2-5 and YC May 6-9.
This is our first time for a split stay and the first time we will be back in Disney without our 3 daughters, since our honeymoon 27 years ago. I am so excited! :tigger:
Our last trip was for our daughter's hs graduation, 2 years ago. We have stayed off site 3 other times. Haven't stayed on site since Nov 2001 (CR) with our then 5 year old and 2 year old daughters. I just couldn't get into that stay, so soon after 9/11. However our oldest daughter became an official Disney princess that trip (if only in her mind)! princess: Our middle daughter is already planning her hs graduation trip- 3 years ahead of time- and wants to run a Disney marathon as part of that celebration. We're definitely hooked on the magic in this house!

Now for my question: Can you get just hot water out of the pod coffee maker? My husband must have his instant oatmeal in the morning and we are rope-drop people, so spending time in the food court in the morning is a no-no for us!
Thanks!

Hi, and welcome! I'm afraid I don't know about the hot water question (I would think so, but haven't tried it), but I get a hot breakfast in the food court every morning and have not had problems making 9 am RDs (except for one weird bus day when there was an Epcot bus stopped/stalled for some reason and no other buses would go around it - but that was a weird circumstance).

Happy Upcoming Birthday, and I hope you have a great trip! :goodvibes

Sorry to see Tom Casey go. I like Bob Jackson too, but sometimes we like having a more low-key experience and Tom perfectly fit the bill. I wonder who the future replacement will be?

Currently at POFQ and having a great time:) Arrived very late Friday night (3AM) and received every one of our room requests. Today is one of our relaxing days, slept in, spent over 3 hours at the pool and now getting ready to eat and maybe spend a few hours at a park or do miniature golf. I did find something out that I was not pleased with:( I went down today to make a payment using my Disney rewards points and found that they had did a $500 charge against my CC on file:mad: I asked why did they do that and the CM said now they do this "$500 report". I am planning on getting a better explanation on this. Anyways, the CM credited my CC and used my rewards card.

I went down today to make a payment using my Disney rewards points and found that they had did a $500 charge against my CC on file:mad: I asked why did they do that and the CM said now they do this "$500 report".

The normal charging structure is:
1) The full length-of-stay payment (less any deposit already paid) is charged to your card upon arrival.
2) You can charge stuff onto your room account using your Magic Band, and it won't need to be deducted from your real payment card until the balance owed reaches $1,000. At that point (and at any future $1,000 amounts) the balance needs to be settled before you can charge anything further to the room account. You can pay amounts off using cash or other payment methods in the meantime if you wish.
3) Any remaining balance owed is charged on your departure day.

Andre

The normal charging structure is:
1) The full length-of-stay payment (less any deposit already paid) is charged to your card upon arrival.
2) You can charge stuff onto your room account using your Magic Band, and it won't need to be deducted from your real payment card until the balance owed reaches $1,000. At that point (and at any future $1,000 amounts) the balance needs to be settled before you can charge anything further to the room account. You can pay amounts off using cash or other payment methods in the meantime if you wish.
3) Any remaining balance owed is charged on your departure day.

Andre
Yep, that is what it was, until this trip. I went back to get a reason and this is my conversation with them. I asked why there was a $500 charge to my CC because I thought we have up to $1000 before any action is taken. Well, the CM told me that they started doing a charge to CC at the half way point($500). I asked why and this is exactly what I was told(it did not make sense to me). "They do this so that we would not hit our $1000 limit and have our MB frozen from doing any charges to the room", "Because it's not hard to total $500 in charges in 1 day and they did not want to inconvenience the guest". I asked if this was new and she said fairly new but did not know when it started. I then told them that they need to let people know this at check-in or the day they are planning to do it, because families like me like to pay with a reward card or GCs. I also told them that I normally come down the day before we leave to pay and that I would have been upset to find out my CC had been charged days earlier and not notified about it. If I have time I will try and speak with a manager before we leave to verify all this.

Yep, that is what it was, until this trip. I went back to get a reason and this is my conversation with them. I asked why there was a $500 charge to my CC because I thought we have up to $1000 before any action is taken. Well, the CM told me that they started doing a charge to CC at the half way point($500). I asked why and this is exactly what I was told(it did not make sense to me). "They do this so that we would not hit our $1000 limit and have our MB frozen from doing any charges to the room", "Because it's not hard to total $500 in charges in 1 day and they did not want to inconvenience the guest". I asked if this was new and she said fairly new but did not know when it started. I then told them that they need to let people know this at check-in or the day they are planning to do it, because families like me like to pay with a reward card or GCs. I also told them that I normally come down the day before we leave to pay and that I would have been upset to find out my CC had been charged days earlier and not notified about it. If I have time I will try and speak with a manager before we leave to verify all this.

I just returned from POFQ after a 9 day trip and I did not have that experience. I had just the total room charge on day of check-in and then had them credit my rewards card. I am going again in June. Will have to see if it is done differently then.

I have a standard room,
I don't particularly care where my room is located, but ideally would like to see anything other than a parking lot (yes, I know I risk this with standard)

Any requests I should put it? or none? Would a corner room do anything? (with the logic there are less corner rooms overall so I may get put in a different building?)

I have a standard room,
I don't particularly care where my room is located, but ideally would like to see anything other than a parking lot (yes, I know I risk this with standard)

Any requests I should put it? or none? Would a corner room do anything? (with the logic there are less corner rooms overall so I may get put in a different building?)
Building 5!

This is our first stay at POFQ, and I have a couple of questions ...
1. Will I miss anything by doing online check-in and not going thru the regular line at check-in?
2. I was going to request top floor. If I don't do online check-in, I should fax, right?
3. We have a riverview room, but I was going to request maybe away from the launch if it is really loud at buildings 1 and 2. Are buildings 5, 6, and 7 all good for the riverview? I'm ok with not being super close to the main building or pool.
Thanks for your help!

I have a standard room,

"Non parking lot view"

I follow the Keep It Simple mantra and have had great success.

3. We have a riverview room, but I was going to request maybe away from the launch if it is really loud at buildings 1 and 2. Are buildings 5, 6, and 7 all good for the riverview? I'm ok with not being super close to the main building or pool.
We were there in April '13 and had a riverview room in building 5. We had a fantastic view of the river! I'm hoping to get back there next month. We were at the far corner of the building furthest from the main building but never seemed to have to walk too far.

Building 5!

Except building 5 has no Standard View rooms, so asking for that would technically be asking for an upgrade - but hey, it never hurts to play dumb and pretend you've never heard of portorleans.org. :) Ask for "building 5, or somewhere with a pleasant view please" to cover your options.

This is our first stay at POFQ, and I have a couple of questions ...
1. Will I miss anything by doing online check-in and not going thru the regular line at check-in?
2. I was going to request top floor. If I don't do online check-in, I should fax, right?
3. We have a riverview room, but I was going to request maybe away from the launch if it is really loud at buildings 1 and 2. Are buildings 5, 6, and 7 all good for the riverview?

1. No. Online checkin does not mean that you can't visit the front desk if you want, although you will probably also get the option of going straight to your room if you prefer. For a first time visitor though, I think I'd definitely do online checkin and then go to the desk in the lobby when you first arrive to be welcomed.
2. Add your requests to your original booking first (call the reservations center to do this) then do online checkin. Select top floor as an option online, and then fax 3-5 days before your arrival if you want to be really, really sure they've got the message.
3. Buildings 2 and 5 would be the loudest if you are really worried about boat noise, but honestly it's rarely an issue as the room doors are pretty solid. Building 6 has some great River View locations though, so that would be a great one to request if being in the middle of things is not a priority for you. It's a small resort anyway, so nowhere is really all that far away.

Andre

Just a comment after reading stuff here about the food. We've only been to POFQ once, that was back in 2003 I think. But have mostly stayed at Pop or ASM since then and all I can say is that it can't be worse than the value food courts. The food there is marginally good, depending on what you order. But if you compare it to TS its definitely not going to be up to par. Sounds like the breakfast is great, but we bring our own breakfast food and eat in the room, so I may not get to experience that :)

I don't make many room requests. As crazy as it sounds, I like to roll the dice, see what we get, and it makes the experience different every time! The only request I made was ground floor(my mom's knee isn't great)

I would like to ask, however, if we have a garden view what will that usually give me? Its not the parking lot, so I'm assuming a view of another building and trees or a fountain.

That's awesome!! How do I find it online? Is it on Pandora?

There are many more of these stations! There is a place called Live365 that has free internet radio(you have to listen to ads every few songs) but if you type in disney in the search box when you go there, you get tons of Disney-only stations. I'm listening right now on another window to the Illuminations audio :) :)

I would like to ask, however, if we have a garden view what will that usually give me? Its not the parking lot, so I'm assuming a view of another building and trees or a fountain.
From what I could see, the actual garden view rooms overlook park like green spaces.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter