• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

Has there been update on the entertainment at FQ? Are they still rotating musicians since Tom Casey left?

Nothing permanent has been announced. This is who is playing tonight (photo was taken and messaged to me a few minutes ago):

upload_2015-6-29_1-38-36.png

Andre

. While I'm not a fan of the motel style hotels in general, we had a river view room on the 2nd floor of building six which proved to be a good location. We were close to transportation, the pool, and within walking distance to riverside which was nice. We'd requested a ground floor but the second level was fine and the room location was nice and quiet.

if you arent a fan of the doors on the outside and it makes them feel like a motel, what do you think of the new DVC? the bungalos are outside access right?

My daughter wants to bring her 13" mac laptop on our trip. I know this won't fit in the room safe- do they have a safe a the front desk?
Thanks!

It's official! I will be coming back to hang with the Gators next April! I will be updating my sig and building a new ticker shortly.

Talked on the phone with a young lady CM who got me all signed up. INTERESTING: She asked my dates and resort preference. When I told her French Quarter, she did not ask my category/view preference, but quoted me the rate for Standard View, I wish I could remember the quoted price, but it was HIGHER than what I had seen/calculated for Garden View. I told her I'd really like a Garden View, did they have that available, and she said yes and quoted me the GV total price I expected (which was lower than the Standard quote).

So, at least for now, Garden View is coming up cheaper than Standard View. Honestly, the fact that they haven't changed it by now is making me think this is intentional, and really makes me believe there is a "supply and demand" component to it.

I didn't realize until I was typing this that I forgot to make my general "convenient to main building" request. I'm tempted to let that go and, when I do online check in, mark "close to transportation" and see what happens. I still think that could include locations near the boat dock, but I've been in bldg 2 near there and it was a great location. Can't wait to do Direct to Room again next year.

Oh, has the Disney phone-answering computer ever asked you to say and spell your last name? Today was my first experience with that, and I had to do it 3 times. I have a very plain accent and spoke/enunciated clearly, it's not some super-long name and it's spelled like it sounds, but the poor computer could never figure it out. The 3rd try, the computer didn't even attempt to spell it back, just said, "let me get an agent to help you" and gave up. Anyone else experienced this?
This happened to me before. At CSR the preferred rooms were cheaper than the standard rooms. We booked preferred for the lower rate & eventually they corrected them on the site but honored our pricing.
Also, I noticed that they asked for a ton of information that they never asked before, before connecting you to a CM as well.

Oh and btw, we officially switched from CBR to FQ!
While I was excited to try CBR, as it is the only mod I haven't experienced. FQ was calling me back!
Plus I can't pass up the chance to stay at FQ with free dining for a second time!

My daughter wants to bring her 13" mac laptop on our trip. I know this won't fit in the room safe- do they have a safe a the front desk?
Thanks!

Buy a laptop cable lock. You should have one with a laptop for just this reason. I lock mine to the chair back.

I have a luggage lock and I usually just put mine in my suitcase. Although at WDW I sometimes just leave it in the laptop bag on the chair. It's the only place I really do that, though.

I just remembered that I forgot to post here that the recreation schedules for July were up a week ago, sorry! See www.portorleans.org/recreation-schedules.php

Here's a bit more information for anyone staying at Port Orleans this coming Independence Day weekend (Friday 3rd and Saturday 4th July) who is not intending to spend the whole day at the parks. Most of the main activities will be taking place at Riverside, but French Quarter guests are very welcome to join in the fun too.

PO.org-Guest-Resort-MemDay1_forum.jpg

Riverside Fair (3rd and 4th July)
  • Hours: 5pm to 8:30pm
  • Location: Riverside Lobby Courtyard (inside the Lobby in case of inclement weather)
  • Food and Beverage will be selling themed drinks and food items
  • Merchandise will be selling themed items as well
  • There will be character greetings, as well as a live band throughout the event
  • Complementary face painting, where guests have the opportunity to choose between a few themed designs
  • Each division of Port Orleans will be hosting their own 'booth' which will include a game of some sort (Recreation will provide the prizes for each booth)
  • Recreation will be hosting activities throughout the event as well, including a dance party, cake walk, trivia, and opportunities to win more prizes!
  • Recreation will also be offering Mickey Tie Dye: Guests can tie dye their own shirt, and even find a hidden mickey within their tie dye. Both child and adult size shirts will be available, and the activity will cost $17
  • At the end of both the 3rd the 4th events, guests can enjoy the Movie under the Stars at 9pm in front of Building 90 Oak Manor (3rd: The Princess and the Frog, 4th: Big Hero 6)
Poolside: Ol’ Man Island at Riverside (3rd and 4th July)
  • Food and Beverage will be hosting an outdoor barbeque where guests can purchase food and drink items from noon to 5pm
  • Recreation will be hosting themed activities from 1pm to 4:45pm
Poolside: Doubloon Lagoon Pool at French Quarter (4th July only)
  • French Quarter will be hosting themed poolside activities from 1pm to 6pm
  • This will be followed by Campfire at 7pm and the Movie under the Stars (Lilo & Stitch) at 9pm

Andre

Just booked Feb 2016 (last week ) to bring DD 3 on first trip to Disney. Had booked POR Royal Room but changing to POFQ garden view saved us 400.00 . tell me I made the right choice! The pool does look perfect for toddlers and I like the proximity (although I know RR are not far from POR food court too).

Just booked Feb 2016 (last week ) to bring DD 3 on first trip to Disney. Had booked POR Royal Room but changing to POFQ garden view saved us 400.00 . tell me I made the right choice! The pool does look perfect for toddlers and I like the proximity (although I know RR are not far from POR food court too).
You definitely made the right choice :-) Our DD's are teens now, but we've been going to POFQ for several years now. It is our favourite resort! The size is a definite plus - especially with little ones. It's quick to the bus stop, boat dock, food court for refillable mugs and the gardens are beautiful to walk around. At night there is a marshmallow roast / campfire in the courtyard (between buildings 4/5/6) and it is followed by movies under the stars (they bring out towels for you to lay on and watch movies). Since everything is so close, you can do it all! The pool is especially great for little ones. There is a kiddie pool and the slide (at the main pool) has a nice, gentle slope for little ones. There is also a small playground near the pool.
I hope you love it as my as we do!
Plus, with that $400 you can add on other great experiences :thumbsup2

You definitely made the right choice :-) Our DD's are teens now, but we've been going to POFQ for several years now. It is our favourite resort! The size is a definite plus - especially with little ones. It's quick to the bus stop, boat dock, food court for refillable mugs and the gardens are beautiful to walk around. At night there is a marshmallow roast / campfire in the courtyard (between buildings 4/5/6) and it is followed by movies under the stars (they bring out towels for you to lay on and watch movies). Since everything is so close, you can do it all! The pool is especially great for little ones. There is a kiddie pool and the slide (at the main pool) has a nice, gentle slope for little ones. There is also a small playground near the pool.
I hope you love it as my as we do!
Plus, with that $400 you can add on other great experiences :thumbsup2
Thank you! My feelings exactly.

It appears that Disney has corrected the issue with standard view rooms being more expensive than garden view rooms, at least for dates in October 2016. The standard view is now priced at $202/night for Sunday - Thursday nights and garden view is priced at $207/night. Not much of a price difference between the two categories. The rates for pool view, preferred, and river view at POR are still through the stratosphere!

Last edited:
It appears that Disney has corrected the issue with standard view rooms being more expensive than garden view rooms, at least for dates in October 2016. The standard view is now priced at $202/night for Sunday - Thursday nights and garden view is priced at $207/night. Not much of a price difference between the two categories. The rates for pool view, preferred, and river view at POR are still through the stratosphere!

Bu**er, going to have to re-trawl all the prices for my tables and charts now! ;) At least it's all spreadsheet based once I've got the new numbers.

[Edit] Interesting, if you look up a specific date on the Disneyworld website (e.g. 17 Oct) it does show the Standard:$202 / Garden:$207 pricing:

upload_2015-7-2_10-21-21.png

However the calendar view still shows the original rates I first saw:

POFQ Standard View:
upload_2015-7-2_10-24-33.png

POFQ Garden View:
upload_2015-7-2_10-23-28.png

Perhaps there is an error in the Seasonal Calendar system on the Disney booking website? It's strange though, as I'd have thought they both would have used the same underlying database (it's a helluva lot of extra work to maintain separate lists!) but obviously not.

Can I assume that anyone who checked actual daily quotes when the rates first came out saw the Standard:$202 / Garden:$198 prices on the quote page? Otherwise the calendar could have been wrong from day one. (And with 366 days x 15 categories to check, going through it by searching for 5,490 day-by-day quotes just isn't an option!!!)

Andre

Last edited:
So we found out yesterday afternoon that my DH got an extra day off work, so we are heading up today instead of tomorrow! I made a last min ressie at POFQ before we switch to shades of green for the rest of the weekend. So excited! I'm awake 2 hours before my alarm haha!

I made a last min ressie at POFQ before we switch to shades of green for the rest of the weekend. So excited! I'm awake 2 hours before my alarm haha!

Nice! Have a wonderful time, and enjoy your extra day at POFQ. If you've not got an specific plans (as this is a late change) do you think you might be anywhere near the POFQ food court during lunchtime hours at all (11am-5pm)? I've been updating all the menu info on my website, but while people are often around for breakfast and dinner, lunchtime is a bit harder as everyone is at the parks. I just need quick camera-phone snaps of each of the sub-menu screens on the TVs over the counters, nothing complicated. Just thought I'd ask anyway, as you might have more of a chance of being around during those hours than many people.

Have a great time anyway!

Andre

Nice! Have a wonderful time, and enjoy your extra day at POFQ. If you've not got an specific plans (as this is a late change) do you think you might be anywhere near the POFQ food court during lunchtime hours at all (11am-5pm)? I've been updating all the menu info on my website, but while people are often around for breakfast and dinner, lunchtime is a bit harder as everyone is at the parks. I just need quick camera-phone snaps of each of the sub-menu screens on the TVs over the counters, nothing complicated. Just thought I'd ask anyway, as you might have more of a chance of being around during those hours than many people.

Have a great time anyway!

Andre

I am not sure what time exactly we will get there (DH is military and he is supposed to get out at noon which would get us there by 3ish but you never really know with the military..) but I will most certainly take pictures for you if I get there in time!

Heading down late tonight for our first stay at FQ! I've stayed at Riverside a couple times and it wasn't available for this weekend. Now I'm glad since we get to try something new! Probably only doing TL and perhaps EPCOT and looking forward to relaxing at the resort. We booked a river view room, looking forward to seeing where we end up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter