Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

We live outside New Haven, CT and it takes us about 20 hours. We do make a stop in Savannah, GA over night. Then it takes about 4 hours to reach Disney. From Northern VA probably about 14 to 16 hours.

As far as the river view rooms, it was suggested to try for building 2 or 5. What about floor? We usually book value resorts standard view so this is new to me.

As far as the river view rooms, it was suggested to try for building 2 or 5. What about floor? We usually book value resorts standard view so this is new to me.

Which floor is really a personal preference. Sometimes people prefer the bottom floor so they don't need to deal with stairs or elevator--especially with little ones or anyone with mobility issues. Some people don't like having anyone above them because they feel it's noisier that way--although I've never noticed that. We prefer the second or third floor because there's much less foot traffic outside the room.

The top floor would be the quietest, as there's no one moving around in a room above your ceiling. Also there's somewhat less foot-traffic outside the room as only those people heading to a very specific range of room numbers will be passing by outside. But obviously there's the downside of two flights of stairs or an elevator ride.

Andre

How long is the drive down from South Jersey? We used to live in Georgia, only about 5 1/2 hours away from Disney, but we moved to northern Virginia and I'm trying to get a feel for how long the drive is going to be.

We haven't driven in years, but I have several friends that drive down and from south jersey (salem county) seems like it is about 15 hours. We plan on leaving at 11:30am (when i get done work) and driving about 10 hours, then stopping to sleep. Not sure I can handle driving straight through, I don't want to be exhausted to start the trip.

I think that from northern VA is doable in one longish day. Growing up we always went to Disney by car from NH because my mom is afraid to fly. And now that my folks live in southwest FL they still drive to come visit us (and sometimes we drive down to visit them so we can take the dog). Anyway, our normal stopping point for the night on the 2 day drive is around the VA/NC border. It's about a 15 hour day for the VA/NC to FL leg, including pit stops and food and gas and stretch breaks. Where they live is about 3 hours west and south of Orlando, but it probably evens out since it'd take maybe about that amount of time to get from northern VA to the border.

I have two pool rooms booked which I think (please correct me!) means wither bldg 2 or 5 and the second or third floors? I know that the pool view rooms are limited and we are traveling on December 25-January 3. If that room is not available where will they put us?

Walt Disney World this morning released the 2016 Room and Package Rates for resort hotels. Bookings can now be made via the website or telephone booking line up to the regular 499 day advance limit (meaning the cut-off is currently 3 November 2016).

Andre

Did anyone notice for mid April 2016 the garden rooms are a few $$ less than standard rooms? Maybe they are not done inputting the new rates but I found this to be odd! And at an average of $209 per night- for standard, seems high! For a tues-tues.

Did anyone notice for mid April 2016 the garden rooms are a few $$ less than standard rooms? Maybe they are not done inputting the new rates but I found this to be odd! And at an average of $209 per night- for standard, seems high! For a tues-tues.

Yes, same for January.

Yes, I agree, seems high. But compared to the CR CL prices for my same dates, it seems cheap! Like $800 per night. yeah, ok Disney.

omg feel a rant coming on lol.

Yes, I just went and looked at 4/9-4/16 (my proposed dates) and saw the same thing! Not sure what to think, other than they've messed up somewhere (maybe they got the Std and Garden rates switched).

::Sigh:: I really want to add an extra day next year, and I really really want to stay at POFQ, where I can do online check in and direct to room because I know the place and am not worried about where they put me. And of course I can't count on any discounts (gosh, I miss the AAA discounts!). Well, I always said "comfort" was the most important reason to me to spend money (as in not having to go outside my comfort zone).

I really really do wish they hadn't dropped the AAA discounts.

Anyone checked 2016 prices for POFQ? At least for October 2016, it appears that garden view rooms are less expensive than standard view. The standard view is $202/night and garden view is $198/night. Doesn't make sense? :confused3

Edit: Guess I should have read the comments above before posting! :eek:

Yes, I just went and looked at 4/9-4/16 (my proposed dates) and saw the same thing! Not sure what to think, other than they've messed up somewhere (maybe they got the Std and Garden rates switched).
I really really do wish they hadn't dropped the AAA discounts.

I agree with you on this one! AAA was the only discount I was usually able to secure for an October visit.

When we were there last August, they were just in the midst of changing where the boats docked in DTD. So how is it now? When you leave POFQ, where does the boat go to in DTD--is it one stop or two? If it's only one, are there then boats that go between Marketplace and West Side? Just trying to figure the easiest ways to get from POFQ to certain things in DTD. Thanks!

When we were there last August, they were just in the midst of changing where the boats docked in DTD. So how is it now? When you leave POFQ, where does the boat go to in DTD--is it one stop or two? If it's only one, are there then boats that go between Marketplace and West Side? Just trying to figure the easiest ways to get from POFQ to certain things in DTD. Thanks!
The boat to DTD from POFQ is on the other side of the Rainforest Cafe. You walk in thru the entrance to DTD near the Christmas store. I believe the boat to the other side of DTD is there but we haven't used that in a few trips. When we were there last fall they were still building the walkway from that area of the Marketplace over to the area near Fulton's. I believe that opened earlier this year.

Walt Disney World this morning released the 2016 Room and Package Rates for resort hotels. Bookings can now be made via the website or telephone booking line up to the regular 499 day advance limit (meaning the cut-off is currently 3 November 2016).

After a lot (!) of researching and typing, the full 2016 price structure for all room categories is now listed on my Room Rates page.

I still have no idea why French Quarter's Garden View rooms are currently showing as cheaper than Standard View rooms for most dates. It could be an error within Disney's pricing systems which will be rectified at some point, or it could be the intended rate. Whichever, it's currently a bit of a bargain!

Andre

After a lot (!) of researching and typing, the full 2016 price structure for all room categories is now listed on my Room Rates page.

I still have no idea why French Quarter's Garden View rooms are currently showing as cheaper than Standard View rooms for most dates. It could be an error within Disney's pricing systems which will be rectified at some point, or it could be the intended rate. Whichever, it's currently a bit of a bargain!

Andre
They sometimes make these mistakes. Someone asleep at the wheel. Lol. Once we were able to book AKL CL (guaranteed Arusha Savana view) for cheaper than the Arusha view, non CL. Go figure!

And this is how 2016 looks in graphical form:

POFQ-RackRates-2016.png

Which shows up another oddity - for some reason, Pool View and King Bed rooms are now mostly more expensive than River View.

Andre

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter