Port Canaveral -> MCO Attractions?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by xipetotec, Oct 22, 2012.

1. xipetotec

xipetotec DIS Veteran

So we actually have our flight the day AFTER we get back from our cruise. I was wondering what are interesting things to do ( free or otherwise ) *anywhere* between Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach and MCO.

That being said, I think we're already planning on Kennedy Space Center, but what else have people done after a cruise with time to space.

P.S. The group we're with has officially put Disney/Universal OFF the table. Otherwise, for us that would be a no-brainer. Especially with New Fantasyland that will be open by then.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. outahere

outahere DIS Veteran

I'm sure others may have some ideas for something between the port and MCO, but I just wanted to say that if you do/see almost everything at the Space Center, it will take up pretty much the entire day. It is a huge place with a lot of displays, tours, movies, etc.

4. xipetotec

xipetotec DIS Veteran

Fair enough, but our flight is also late the next day. So we have the better part of that day as well as the debarkation day. ( Guess I shoulda mentioned that :lmao:)

5. maria-fan-22

maria-fan-22 DIS Veteran

You could always go to Downtown Disney?

The space center is fascinating, definitely go there. I don't know how old you group is but there is sometimes a local art fair around the Orlando area that is pretty cool to go see and talk with the artists. pirate:

I believe Samantha Brown did an entire episode on things to do in Orlando that is not the parks.

6. wifey1220

wifey1220 DIS Veteran

I know my boys would like to go to the upside down building near universal. I don't remember what it is called. Also the big McDonald's is good to let the kids run around.

7. stsomewhere

stsomewhere DIS Veteran

You could always split up.

8. NancyIL

NancyIL DIS Veteran

Will you have a car? Where will you spend the night? Who comprise the group you are with? If it were me, I'd go to WDW and let the others do what they want to do.

9. xipetotec

xipetotec DIS Veteran

We will be staying in Cocoa beach. We are renting a van for all of us and it's the grand parents and my brother, so we do want to stay together. I mean I'm okay with it as i know theres lots to do. Just saying if it were just up to me, we would do wdw.

10. outahere

outahere DIS Veteran

11. Gatrcruzer

Gatrcruzer Mouseketeer

Just want to make sure your group is aware of the cost of Kennedy Space Center - I only mention because you were asking about "free" or otherwise. I think the cost is kind of high.

Perhaps you could do Kennedy Space Center on debarkation day, then a morning at the beach before heading out to MCO? I agree with previous posters that Downtown Disney is free and a fun way to spend some time. You can even use the boats to check out the hotels nearby :) There are also big outlet-type malls in Orlando, if that is your thing. They also have an IKEA.

12. tojam

tojam Tojam

Within 15 minutes of MCO you have Downtown Disney. You can also drive in Disney, tell the gate you will be eating at the contemporary hotel. Park then go inside, jump the monorail and see the Magic Kingdom, change over and see Epcot, etc. That will definitely eat up a day!