pork spareribs recipe????

njcarita

DIS Veteran
Just picked up a package of pork spare ribs on sale .99/lb----
never made them before???
any suggestions --- using oven or crockpot

We made them this summer with a red chinese sauce called "Ah-So" sauce. Funny name I know, but they were so good. I baked them in the oven for a while, basted them with the red sauce then grilled them for a while longer. I found the sauce in the asian section at my supermarket.

If they're the country style ribs I find they come out best in the crock pot. Here's a recipe I use (got it off the Disboards) that my family loves. Once the ribs are done I de-bone & de-fat them and thicken the "gravy" and serve it over egg noodles.

Crockpot Beer and Salsa Ribs

1 rack pork ribs
1 jar medium salsa
1 (12 oz) bottle of beer - I used Corona, but use whatever
1 envelope Onion Gravy
1 medium onion sliced

Cut the pork rack into smaller pieces, put in the crockpot and throw in all the other ingredients, give it a good stir and cook on LOW for 8 hours.

Easiest spareribs recipe I know--

Spare Ribs
Spice Rub*
BBQ Sauce

1. Apply the spice rub on both sides of the ribs.
2. Place the ribs in a crock pot (I coil them around the side).
3. Cook on low for 8 hours.
4. Remove from crock pot, brush BBQ Sauce on both sides and finish under a broiler for 5 minutes.

*Either store-bought or make-your-own. I prefer to make my own because the store-bought usually has more salt than I like. There are lots of good rub recipes online, like here.

I usually make bbq ribs this way:

Line a 9x13 pan with foil (MUCH easier to clean!). Put BBQ sauce on bottom of pan - put ribs in pan - smother with BBQ sauce on top (I use Kraft, just prefer the taste). Bake at 350 until done (1-2 hours) - juices will run clear - but it's kind of 'obvious' when they are done - if they are bone-in ribs (at .99 I'd think so) then the meat will start to pull from the bone - if boneless then won't take much over an hour to cook (just cut one in half to verify brown throughout if boneless).

To clean up - let the sauce/rib juice mixture cool - pull foil off pan and discard - you should then have just a greasy pan (not burned on bbq sauce) to clean up.

This is my ALL TIME favorite meal - I also bake potatoes at the same time since the oven is on.

Yum...now I am going to go look in the freezer to see if I have any! :-D

I do mine in the oven.

Line pan with foil
Place ribs in pan with some dry onion flakes and coat with dry rub(I use Emerils Essence) add a 1/4 cup of water (or beer)
Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 2 hrs. on 275

Remove from oven and peel bake foil and drain the liquid from the pan.
Remove foil completely and baste with your favorite BBQ sauce on both sides.

Return to oven and bake for another 1hr. or until they are tender and just about to fall off bone.

Enjoy

got the same 99 cents ribs - and i just put some cheap bbq sauce & minced garic on the bottom of the crock pot - cut the ribs into manageable pieces - place them in the crock pot - pour more bbq sauce on top and cook on high for 4-5 hours (or 8 hours on low) -

one of the most crucial things to make them tender is to remove the membrane. this is sooooooooooo easy and it makes the world of difference.

on the back side of the ribs, take a sharp knife and make a tiny little slit so that you can grab the membrane. just get a piece of paper towel to make it easy to hold onto it and pulllllll!! ( you can see a video on the internet....just google it )

now the recipe is the easiest thing in the world. works for ribs, pork chops or chicken. mix one cup of ketchup with one can of coke. place ribs in 9 x 13 pan, pour sauce over and bake at 350 til done. check at 35-40 mins.

delish!!!

one of the most crucial things to make them tender is to remove the membrane. this is sooooooooooo easy and it makes the world of difference.

on the back side of the ribs, take a sharp knife and make a tiny little slit so that you can grab the membrane. just get a piece of paper towel to make it easy to hold onto it and pulllllll!! ( you can see a video on the internet....just google it )

now the recipe is the easiest thing in the world. works for ribs, pork chops or chicken. mix one cup of ketchup with one can of coke. place ribs in 9 x 13 pan, pour sauce over and bake at 350 til done. check at 35-40 mins.

delish!!!

Most people don't know about that.I'm glad you brought it up.It makes A huge diffrence in the taste!!:thumbsup2

This isn't for spare ribs, but I like to cook with boneless
pork short ribs. I put a bit of olive oil in a baking dish,
then put the meat in. I usually mix up some spices, like
powdered mustard, powdered ginger, turmeric and cayenne,
and sprinkle that on top. Then I'll add a few tablespoons of
cider vinegar and a few tablespoons of something sweet.
Molasses works, but fairly often, I like to used plum preserves
or something similar. This might sound odd, but sometimes
I smoosh up a ripe banana on it, too. Then I do one of two
things. I either add a can of diced tomatoes or a can of
coconut milk. Bake it until the meat is tender, and serve
it with rice and vegetables. It's really yummy.

If you want it to taste more African, you can add a couple
tablespoons of peanut butter to it, and then have some
greens with the rice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!