POR versus AKL standard room

spartkle1212

Earning My Ears
Hi! I am looking at booking mid-May 6 nights, a POR room, either royal room or regular river view room since that is what's available using a Travelocity code to get an additional discount and Disney spring discount. For a little over 400 more for the week, we could get a AKL standard room instead. Wondering if that would be worth it. We have not stayed at either place, only Coronado for a quick trip 2 years ago. Oh, we have a college age daughter and an almost 12 year old daughter. (4 people) Thanks!

Hi! I am looking at booking mid-May 6 nights, a POR room, either royal room or regular river view room since that is what's available using a Travelocity code to get an additional discount and Disney spring discount. For a little over 400 more for the week, we could get a AKL standard room instead. Wondering if that would be worth it. We have not stayed at either place, only Coronado for a quick trip 2 years ago. Oh, we have a college age daughter and an almost 12 year old daughter. (4 people) Thanks!

For us, the extra cost would be worth it for AKL. We've never stayed at POR but have stayed at one mod (CBR) and while we had a great time and loved the resort, we love AKL. Some people won't stay at AKL without getting a savanna view, but that's not a necessity for us. There are several animal viewing areas around the resort so you're never at a loss for seeing animals. We haven't stayed standard, but have stayed savanna and pool view and while it was nice seeing animals from our balcony, I loved our pool view just as much and wouldn't hesitate to book a non-savanna view again. With that said, POR looks like a beautiful resort, so I'm sure you'd have a great trip no matter which resort you choose. Good luck!

Definitely worth it for AKL. We had a similar situation like that last time and it cost us $600 to upgrade from POR. Best decision ever.

Stayed at both, love them both. Thoughts...
- There won't be that much of a difference in your room size, both have queen beds.
- The big difference is AKL will give you more of an entry and prettier bathroom.
- AKL will give you a balcony, but odds are a standard balcony won't have a view of anything.
- My kids loved AKL when they were 10 and younger, once they hit tweens they were bored with it.
- They actually asked why we didn't stay at CSR...... :confused3
- Anyone can go to AKL to observe the animals and have a nice dinner, so we do, from other hotels.
- POR will give you a boat to Disney Springs, which these days is a nice destination.
- POR Royal rooms are very nice and my Princess (at age 20) loved it!
- My kids could find lots of fun to do with $400.
If I was in your shoes at those ages, I would book POR and use the money for extra fun.

I've stayed at both and enjoyed both tremendously. AKL standard room overlooks the parking lot and/or rooftops. You will not have a great view. When I stayed at AKL I had the Arusha view. It was awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter