POR Riverside questions

jemmouse

DIS Veteran
Hello...We are going in March..We are usually creatures of habit but for the new year trying to try new things, well here we are....

We have stayed at FQ three times in the past, BEFORE renovations to the rooms. We jumped from FQ to POLY for 2 years...

Ok I am thinking of switching to POR...My DS is 12 and I think I heard the slide at POR is bigger, is this true (versusFQ)????

I have knee issues, I need a close room particularly to Lobby, food court area...Any suggestions?

The Murphy bed could a 12 year old sleep on it? He is about 115 pounds?

If you stayed at FQ and POR can you tell me the differences, the plusses?

Alligator Bayou versus Mansions????

Any other info you can think of to help me with my decision, please talk away:banana:

Thanks for always coming through my fellow DISers...:cheer2:

Hello...We are going in March..We are usually creatures of habit but for the new year trying to try new things, well here we are....

We have stayed at FQ three times in the past, BEFORE renovations to the rooms. We jumped from FQ to POLY for 2 years...

Ok I am thinking of switching to POR...My DS is 12 and I think I heard the slide at POR is bigger, is this true (versusFQ)????

I have knee issues, I need a close room particularly to Lobby, food court area...Any suggestions?

The Murphy bed could a 12 year old sleep on it? He is about 115 pounds?

If you stayed at FQ and POR can you tell me the differences, the plusses?

Alligator Bayou versus Mansions????

Any other info you can think of to help me with my decision, please talk away:banana:

Thanks for always coming through my fellow DISers...:cheer2:

I also have knee issues. Last year I booked a preferred room and requested first floor. I got the building right next to the food court entrance & got my 1st floor request. It was perfect! Yes, the murphy bed would be fine for your son.

I know a lot of people love FQ but I didn't! I thought the buildings were all too close together and I didn't find it relaxing at all. I also don't like the mardi gras theme in the food court. I love the landscaping of POR and even though it's larger it doesn't feel too big to get anywhere. The food court is larger, too.

Another plus is that the boat to DTD loads at POR first then stops at FQ. I think they allow more people to board at POR than they do at FQ.

Before they had preferred rooms I stayed in the Mansions, getting river views so I just had a beautiful short walk over the bridge to the main building. I think I was in Parterre Place twice.

I would book a preferred room, then you will get a room in the closest buildings. I would say it depends on how TALL your DS is on whether he would fit on the murphy bed. Our 4 YO slept on it, but when my DS (10) layed on it he barely fit, he is about 55". We have stayed at both- the foodcourt is much better at POR- the biggest plus. The pool is much better, and my kids say the slide IS better than FQ. Really the only thing that I liked better at FQ was buses- busing is not great at POR, because there are 4 stops, so sometimes the buses come 3/4 full.

POR is night n day better than POFQ...( I know , I know Here come the POFQ police to destroy me ) This is just my personal opinion though...The only thing POFQ has is its size...Nice plus.

Pool is way better themed to your sons age group and has a better atmosphere.

The pool at POFQ is geared to younger kids,IMho.

The food court at POR has some awsome selection.

The theming and decor at POR to me is better.

The bus system I beieve is horrible at both, but that's a whole other issue..LoL

I know some of the AB houses ( Preferred ) are close, but we really enjoyed the Magnolia Bend....This was perfect, just a stones throw from the main pool across the bridge.
Probably a 6 or 7 min. walk to main bldg. 2 - 3 minute walk to main pool as welll as the quiet pool. maybe a 5 minute walk to watch movies under the stars.

I think you'll have a great time . Good luck in whichever you choose.

I have only stayed at POR Magnolia Bend area and we really liked it. It didn't feel like too far to walk across to the pool and food court. I don't worry about walking distances at the resorts...we walk all day at the park anyways.)

We were excited to have access to the pools at both POFQ and POR. We went one day to the FQ pool and went right back to POR pool. It was smaller and the slide was not very big at FQ. It would be perfect for younger kids, but our teenagers weren't impressed.

Is the pool slide doubled in length at POR over FQ?

And do you like Alligator Bayou or Mansions better??

Is the pool slide doubled in length at POR over FQ?

And do you like Alligator Bayou or Mansions better??

The pool slide I believe is at least double....and not kiddie like.....I only stayed in Mansions...Magnolia Bend, & it was the Perfect location right across the bridge from the main pool..

I would book a preferred room, then you will get a room in the closest buildings. I would say it depends on how TALL your DS is on whether he would fit on the murphy bed. Our 4 YO slept on it, but when my DS (10) layed on it he barely fit, he is about 55". We have stayed at both- the foodcourt is much better at POR- the biggest plus. The pool is much better, and my kids say the slide IS better than FQ. Really the only thing that I liked better at FQ was buses- busing is not great at POR, because there are 4 stops, so sometimes the buses come 3/4 full.

Hmmm..
I thought we'd be ok with the Murphy Bed because ds8 is only 56 inches. Maybe not?! I guess we'll just have to wait and see. We don't have to have it, but our kids (15 and 8) don't want to share a bed so it will end up me with dd and dh with ds.

I am only going to answer regarding the Murphy bed since I am not a huge fan of POR, but love POFQ.

My daughter had the horrible experience of sleeping on the Murphy Bed. She is 5' and weighs just about 100#s. She was very uncomfortable. It really is very small and unless your son enjoys short, narrow, thin beds, I would bring your own.

My 7 year old son is 55" tall and 68lbs and loved the murphy bed. He slept there 5 out of 7 nights. The other two our 4 year old wanted to sleep there. Really nice to split them up.

The Murphy bed is one of the main reasons we are looking at POR later this year. We also found the Queen beds very comfortable even though I hated the comforters. It felt like being under a heavy carpet. I ordered more of the soft ones and threw the comforter beside the bed.

I did like the "Murphy Room" set up and it felt like we had lots of places to store our gear. The resort was big and it took about 10 minutes (15 with kids) to walk from our room to the food court. On the flip side we were only seconds away from the bus stop and had a rarely used pool right by our room.

Two negatives for us were the buses were busy and slow and the room wasn't overly clean. The built in soap holder was caked in soap and the shelf above the sinks was filthy. When we were leaving and doing a search for forgotten items we noticed other dirty areas as well.

Positives were the food court, the bar area with Yee Haw Bob, the firepit and outside movie area and the boat to Downtown Disney.

Overall we had a great trip, I just like to tell both the positives and negatives when I give my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter