1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

POR or Dolphin?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by BuzzLiteyear, Nov 2, 2012.

1. BuzzLiteyear

BuzzLiteyear To infinity and beyond....or just drop me off at t

We are arriving a day earlier than we had originally planned and now I need to decide on a place to stay. My thoughts were POR or Dolphin for one night. We'll be going to Magic Kingdom the night we arrive and EPCOT the next day. We'll be transferring to AKL.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

Will you need Magical Express? If so, it is not offered for people staying at Dolphin so you'd have to stay at POR (or another Disney owned resort) to get ME. If you don't need ME, I might go with POR anyway. It's closer to MK than Dolphin is, and they have the boat to DTD which I would take advantage of before I transferred to AKL.

4. cluvsdisney

cluvsdisney DIS Veteran

If you dont need ME, I'd stay at the Dolphin. It's a deluxe resort in a great location.

5. jcriket

jcriket DIS Veteran

Dolphin is in walking distance to epcot, if that makes a difference.

6. Butterflygirl35

Butterflygirl35 DIS Veteran

If you are not using ME I would go with Dolphin. Excellent location, it is a Deluxe and all the Boardwalk nightlife is walking distance!!

Not to mention walking to Epcot!!

7. NMAmy

NMAmy Can speak food in German

In the past, I'd have wholeheartedly recommended the Dolphin but after many lovely visits, we had an awful stay there in May and we won't be back again. I'd go with POR and the ME.

8. Belle83

Belle83 DIS Veteran

If you don't have a car, I would stay at POR. Not just for Magical Express, but Disney will transfer your bags from POR to AKL. I'm not sure if they will transfer bags from Dolphin to AKL?

If you do have a car, I would stay at the Dolphin. Take the bus from Dolphin to MK that night (quicker because of avoiding the TTC), and then the next day, just walk over to Epcot :thumbsup2

9. BuzzLiteyear

At this point, it looks like we will be driving. So we should have a car. I like the idea of walking to Epcot.

10. TaraPA

TaraPA <font color=navy>I will think of that animatronic

Dolphin WILL transfer bags to any Disney resort, we've done it many times, as recent as March.

I'd vote Dolphin hands down. I just stayed at POR & while it was quite lovely, I missed being in the Epcot Resort Area.

11. Magic3forme

Magic3forme Grand Slam club members

The POR, we have had 2 great trips to this resort. Beautiful walking paths, great food court, pools are Clean... Free parking

We stayed at the Dolphin this summer. (dh had a convention there) --I was so under impressed .... talk about a huge let down. We switched rooms 3 times. ( noise, smells.) The pool was filmy, and not maintained well. it might be convenient to Epcot, but that is about it.

12. BuzzLiteyear

Thanks! You say pools, there are more than one?

13. dansdad

dansdad DIS Veteran

Yes. POR has a main pool, Ol' Man Island, and 5 quiet pools throughout the property. Then there's the main pool at POFQ also, Doubloon Lagoon.

14. BuzzLiteyear

That's awesome! Thanks.

15. Jenna319

Jenna319 DIS Veteran

My itinerary is very similar to yours. Added a day on to our vacation and had originally booked POR (we are also transferring to AKV). However, we are going on New years eve and really want to spend the day at Epcot without worrying about the crowds using disney transportation. So for an approx. $60 more, I switched to Dolphin. I've never stayed there but I am really excited to check it out and I love the idea of being able to walk to Epcot and Boardwalk. The pool area is supposed to be fantastic too. I love POR and you can't go wrong with either resort but for the convenience, my vote's for the dolphin. I've heard it's comparable to deluxe resorts.

16. Li Li

Li Li Mouseketeer

I've never stayed at POR, but I stayed at the Dolphin in Sept. I really enjoyed it. I loved being able to walk to Boardwalk, Epcot and DHS. DHS is just a bit longer walk than Epcot but I enjoyed it. And the boat stop at Dolphin is plenty convenient if you don't want to walk. :) Plus tons of food options by staying at Dolphin. The pool was excellent; really big with a waterfall and slide!

17. DisneyGuy

DisneyGuy Mouseketeer

I'd go with the Dolphin. While we stay at the Swan many times, and only the Dolphin once, the location can't be beat. The rooms are very nice and it is a true Deluxe resort. There's nothing like being able to walk to Epcot or take a boat to Hollywood Studios (you can walk there also). Unless you need ME, and it sounds like you don't, I'd recommend the Dolphin.

18. DanInMN

DanInMN Mouseketeer

The Swan and Dolphin have a great location, but feel very corporate. They seem to be primarily convention hotels. Bland and unexceptional in a manner that only a Corporate America committee can create. No themeing, does not feel Disney at all.

POR is beautiful!

But for just one night either of your options should be okay, as you are still in WDW!

19. FantasiaMagic

FantasiaMagic DIS Veteran

I would go with POR. They have a boat to DTD and if your taking ME it will not go to Dolphin - only to Disney owned resorts. :wizard:

Have a good time! :)

20. patty57

patty57 DIS Veteran

Dolphin. You can't beat the Epcot resorts location.

21. cannonboys

cannonboys Mouseketeer

It all depends on what you are interested in. We had a one night stay and chose dolphin. We always stay on property and we needed to add a night before we arrived to SSR so we chose dolphin. I was SO unimpressed!! It was if I was in a regular hotel where there was a huge convention downstairs. The proximity to Epcot would not be the deciding factor. I LOVE POR and the atmosphere there is perfect! Take the boat to DTD! LOVE IT! The bathrooms were small and it was very sterile with the white bedspreads. The kids were so excited when we arrived to our true Disney property and we were too. :)