POR or Art of Animation?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by stephyamber, Oct 17, 2013.

1. stephyamber

stephyamber Mouseketeer

Planning our first trip to Disney World as a family! I've been doing a lot of research, but the one thing that I can't decide on is where to stay. The front runners are AOA (little mermaid room) and POR. We are traveling in the fall of 2014 and hoping for Free Dining. If we stay at AOA we will upgrade to the Mid grade dining plan. Doing that will save us around $200 as opposed to just staying at POR and already having it included. $200 is not a big deal BUT I am just unsure which resort would fit my family the best. The biggest downside for AOA for me are the double beds compared to POR queens. It seems POR is an easy choice but for some reason I keep going back to AOA...

Does anyone have an opinion or preference that can help me decide?! princess:

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Cubicleprisoner

Cubicleprisoner Mouseketeer

The AOA Little Mermaid rooms are excluded from any discounts that Disney offers. I have stayed in the LM rooms, and my advice would be to splurge and stay at POR. The walk to the LM rooms is a long one from the bus stop and the eco-thermostats at AOA are downright irratating.

4. bjam12

bjam12 Mouseketeer

I would strong recommend POR. A couple of weeks ago we stayed in the Little Mermaid Room at AOA for one night before checking in at POR for the week. The previous poster is right. The walk to the bus stop is very long, and I'm not one to complain about walking. That really is the only complaint I have about AOA, but POR has great landscape, boat transportation to Downtown Disney, and a wonderful staff.

5. wiigirl

wiigirl DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2

6. stephyamber

stephyamber Mouseketeer

Thank You for the input! I'm pretty sure that POR is our place!

7. stephyamber

stephyamber Mouseketeer

Actually one more question. Does anyone think that a RGR is worth it? It will be an extra $500 dollars if we go with one during our stay. To me the only differences seem to be the decor and fancy beds.. am I wrong? Rooms seem to be the same size and location doesn't seem any better besides having a guaranteed building out of 2.

8. BuzzLiteyear

BuzzLiteyear To infinity and beyond....or just drop me off at t

I have never been to AoA yet, but would love to at some point. That being said, POR is my favorite moderate resort. We've stayed there three times and it's absolutely beautiful. We love the charm of it and the small resort feel even though it's a pretty large resort. The beds are comfortable and the kids love it too. Good luck with your choice, you can't make a wrong one in this case.

9. SuzieN

SuzieN DIS Veteran

I love love love POR!!!!!:lovestruc Really can't get myself to stay anywhere else - although I have stayed at POFQ and The Dolphin. Have never stayed in a Royal room but have stayed in both Alligator Bayou and Magnolia Bend. Liked both but having looked at pictures of the new theming, put in a request to be in the bayou on our upcoming trip. POR is a gorgeous resort - wonderful theming, beautiful grounds, great dining options, and the boat ride to DTD is so nice. :thumbsup2

10. Poohsmommi

Poohsmommi Mouseketeer

Go with POR. We have stayed there before, and love it! we just got back from AoA in the Finding Nemo suites. It was ... ok. Just ok. I would pick POR hands down. AoA just felt cheap to me (and it was anything but that price wise!)

11. goofyredraider

goofyredraider DIS Veteran

POR is wonderful. You won't be disappointed

12. CareHeartsDisney

CareHeartsDisney Mouseketeer

I agree with everyone else. Having stayed at both AoA (in a Car's suite) and POR, my kids and I liked POR better. AoA was nice and the theming was great, but POR was quieter and we really enjoyed the resort.

13. kmb584

kmb584 DIS Veteran

I find the RGR to be worth the added expense but only because my daughter is a huge princess fan, though I will admit that even if I didn't have a little one I would have booked one at some point in time because the rooms just look awesome (and they are). They're very well done and I wanted to steal the headboards for our beds at home. :rotfl: It was definitely a very magical stay for my then 3-year-old. :goodvibes All of the rooms are the same size, 314 sq ft, regardless of whether it's a standard or RGR.

14. WDGPCFR

WDGPCFR WDGPCFR

You didn't mention how old your children are. If they are young they would like AoA better but if they are not giving additional bonuses skip it. We stayed at POP summer of '12 and walked over the bridge to AoA. Maybe look at that, you get two resorts for the price of one. We stayed at POR in'07 and it was very nice but I don't feel it is very Disneyfied. For adults I feel POR is better but little one's like the over the top Disney.

Also research your food needs. We got the QS dining plan with our room. I kept the receipts and found we saved a good bit of money. There was a but to it though. With every meal we got a dessert and a number of them got thrown away. There were times that we weren't very hungry and shared meals. When we checked out we used unused snack credits for a bunch of snacks to bring home. Just paying cash would have been cheaper for us if we had been paying for it.

15. Belle83

Belle83 DIS Veteran

I vote for POR! :thumbsup2