POR or AKV?

Coconuts

DIS Veteran
I was researching a trip for Nov 2011 and the cheapest option for our family of 5 seems to be POR.

While trolling these boards, I keep coming across posts about what a great deal renting DVC points is. I compared prices and although renting an AKV standard room is far cheaper than booking the same room through WDW, it is still seems like a lot more than POR. Yes, I know i would be getting a 1 bedroom/more space/kitchen, but I wouldn't want to cook at WDW and would want the DDP. If you rent DVC points, you have to buy the DDP separately and can't get FD if it is available, right?

I just am not getting where this would be a great deal for me when all we do is sleep in the room. Am I missing something?:confused:

I was researching a trip for Nov 2011 and the cheapest option for our family of 5 seems to be POR.

While trolling these boards, I keep coming across posts about what a great deal renting DVC points is. I compared prices and although renting an AKV standard room is far cheaper than booking the same room through WDW, it is still seems like a lot more than POR. Yes, I know i would be getting a 1 bedroom/more space/kitchen, but I wouldn't want to cook at WDW and would want the DDP. If you rent DVC points, you have to buy the DDP separately and can't get FD if it is available, right?

I just am not getting where this would be a great deal for me when all we do is sleep in the room. Am I missing something?:confused:

You are probably too late to get anything on points for November. Especially if you are looking at Thanksgiving, Jersey Week or the first week of November.

Free dining is not available for points stays. Those come with a package purchased directly from Disney.

As for the value. It's how you look at it. It may not be a big cost saver, but you are getting lots of space for not very much money. Your family would require a one bedroom villa at AKV (standard or savanna view, not value villa). You'd have a king sized bed in the master bedroom, a queen sized sleeper sofa and a twin sized sleeper chair. Plus the jacuzzi tub, separate shower in the master. Second bathroom at the entry. Full sized kitchen. Two televisions, one DVD player, balcony with a view.

POR you get two double beds with a trundle bed that pulls out from one of the beds. Bathroom with combo tub/shower and toilet in one small room. Sinks outside the room. No balcony.

So if you just use the room to sleep, there is no value for you. But if you enjoy your lodging while you vacation, there is a lot of value.

Kind of like a baloney sandwich out of a vending machine will take care of your hunger. But a filet mignon with baked potato will be a lot tastier.

You are probably too late to get anything on points for November. Especially if you are looking at Thanksgiving, Jersey Week or the first week of November.

Free dining is not available for points stays. Those come with a package purchased directly from Disney.

As for the value. It's how you look at it. It may not be a big cost saver, but you are getting lots of space for not very much money. Your family would require a one bedroom villa at AKV (standard or savanna view, not value villa). You'd have a king sized bed in the master bedroom, a queen sized sleeper sofa and a twin sized sleeper chair. Plus the jacuzzi tub, separate shower in the master. Second bathroom at the entry. Full sized kitchen. Two televisions, one DVD player, balcony with a view.

POR you get two double beds with a trundle bed that pulls out from one of the beds. Bathroom with combo tub/shower and toilet in one small room. Sinks outside the room. No balcony.

So if you just use the room to sleep, there is no value for you. But if you enjoy your lodging while you vacation, there is a lot of value.

Kind of like a baloney sandwich out of a vending machine will take care of your hunger. But a filet mignon with baked potato will be a lot tastier.

Exactly this...it all really depends on how you stay. We like having the extra space and "living" area for comfort, and with 5 people, the extra bathroom in the 1 bedroom Kidani rooms is HUGE. We stay with points and still get the dining plan. It's definitely just preference and how you like to stay. Even though we don't use the kitchen at all it's still a bonus for us to have the extra space and bathroom!

...So if you just use the room to sleep, there is no value for you. But if you enjoy your lodging while you vacation, there is a lot of value.

That's what I assessed of the situation but I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing some other reason or hidden value. Thanks for the response.:goodvibes

I would love to have more luxurious accomodations on vacation, but the budget just doesn't leave room for them.:rolleyes: Maybe someday...:rolleyes1

We used to own DVC and we certainly enjoyed our one bedrooms but in the end, we rarely used the space and for our family of four the moderates do actually work better. I also like to have daily maid service which is something you will pay quite a bit extra for if you stay on points (you do get trash and towel service on I think day 4 and for stays longer than 7 days you do get a full cleaning in there as well but its not daily).

The only time renting points is on par with a mod price wise is when you do a studio and for a family of five that won't work. But that is the room type people are getting the great deal on, for one bedrooms it jumps up about twice as much.

POR is about to start a resort wide rehab and the rooms will all be getting queen beds. That rehab won't be done by your November dates, but for sure some of the rooms will. So if you go with POR be sure and put "rehabbed room" as a request and hopefully you'll get it!

POR is a wonderful resort, if you haven't already visit: www.portorleans.org I can see by your signature you have stayed at POR so you already know what it has to offer. That site has given very up to date and accurate info on the refurb process at POR and POFQ.

That site has a ton of great information and they also will be posting updates on the progress of the rehab.

I would never consider POR a baloney sandwich. You are getting a standard sized hotel room and you won't have a balcony but honestly as an overal resort, I don't find much difference in the dvc's or the deluxe's above the interior hallways (which don't matter to me but that is just me) and the fact some of the higher end resorts are near parks. Which since we visit all areas of WDW also does not matter to me. But for sure a one bedroom with two baths, and all the other amenities it offers is wonderful. But as dh and I look back on our DVC stays, we don't feel now nor did we then that the overal experience of our trip was any better. Again, this is just us. Maybe we are just baloney lovers!

Best of luck with your decision!:goodvibes

...The only time renting points is on par with a mod price wise is when you do a studio and for a family of five that won't work. But that is the room type people are getting the great deal on, for one bedrooms it jumps up about twice as much....

This is further proof in my theory that there is a conspiracy against families with more than 4 people:teacher:, especially at WDW!;)

Thanks for the thorough response:goodvibes; I'll check out that website for the rehab updates. DH will be so happy to learn that they're getting queens.:thumbsup2

Does that mean that with queens that there won't be trundles anymore?:confused:

This is further proof in my theory that there is a conspiracy against families with more than 4 people:teacher:, especially at WDW!;)

Thanks for the thorough response:goodvibes; I'll check out that website for the rehab updates. DH will be so happy to learn that they're getting queens.:thumbsup2

Does that mean that with queens that there won't be trundles anymore?:confused:

There are two other options you could consider, the All Star Music Family Suites and the Ft. Wildnerness cabins. I can vouch for ASMU as an overal resort, we have stayed there four times (rooms not family suites) and always enjoyed it. You'd have two bathrooms and a mini kitchen in the family suite. I haven't stayed at Ft. Wildnerness but the full kitchen might be nice.

I am assuming they will keep the trundles. Just be aware that it looks like mansions will be started first. So that means Alligator Bayou rooms that sleep the five might not be done or even started by November.

You would have a queen in the master at the ASMU Family Suite and all those suites are in the preferred location of the resort which is nice.

Good luck, families of five and larger do have fewer options but at least they have more now than they used to thanks to ASMU's suites and the new ones going in over at the Art of Animation resort. But I agree, its kind of not fair!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter