POR or AKL?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by marykatmp, Aug 9, 2012.

1. tng123

tng123 Mouseketeer

Thanks! Yes, we too are a family of 5, but my parents are coming with, so we are getting two rooms. That's another reason I would like to stay at AKL..this may be our only chance! If my parents were not coming, we would have to do POR.
    Good to know about the bus stop. Sometimes I wonder how much is exaggerated on here :) Some people made it sound to be a mile away from the lobby!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Barnhill9586

Barnhill9586 DIS Dad's Club Member #556

AKL no question. We love the resort and it's my daughter's favorite. The only drawback is the transportation and location compared to other deluxe resorts which is why we don't stay there every trip. :goodvibes

ETA: Just noticed this was an old thread!! Glad you enjoyed AKL!!

4. tng123

tng123 Mouseketeer

Is the transportation really that bad? We have only been to WDW once and we stayed off-site, so will we really know any different, having never stayed on-site before? I am nervous about how remote it is after reading sooo many posts about how far it is. I'm also wondering, is the bus full by the time it gets to Jambo house since it picks up at the AKV first? Thanks!!

5. clayfolks

clayfolks Mouseketeer

The transportation is not bad at all! It takes, at most, an extra 5 minutes to get to anywhere. The only exception to that is DTD, which is a 25 minute bus trip. We have stayed at AKL/AKV 6 times and have only once seen the bus full when it got to Jambo House AND there was another empty bus behind it for the people waiting at the bus stop.

6. SimplyGoofy

SimplyGoofy "You are not Mickey Mouse... you are a rat!"

AKL is AMAZING! Your kids will love the animals, and there's tons of fun kid's activities! The pool is also awesome (and zero-entry!). It's really nice that the entire resort is in one building--you don't have to troop through the rain in order to get back to your room at the end of the day!

The restaurants at AKL are also top-notch--even the Mara (QS) has some great, unique options. I LOVED my stay at AKL. :love:

7. Barnhill9586

Barnhill9586 DIS Dad's Club Member #556

AKL transportation for us was quite good. I definitely didn't mean to say it wasn't; just comparing it to the other deluxe resorts we've stayed at and it is farther out than the rest and has only bus service. The other deluxe resorts we've stayed at seem more centrally located and have more than one mode of transportation. We still love AKL. It is a beautiful and peaceful resort and we visit every trip to get our Boma fix!