POR or AKL--which would you pick?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Dr. M, Mar 12, 2013.

?

AKL, WL, or POR--which is your pick for a moderately priced couple's getaway?

1. Animal Kingdom Lodge

2. Wilderness Lodge

3. Port Orleans Riverside

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dr. M

Dr. M DIS Veteran

My husband and I picked WDW for our kid-free romantic getaway :thumbsup2 During our past trip, we absolultely loved ending our day with dinner at a signature restaurant like Narcoossees or Flying Fish, then a short visit back to a park for a show/fireworks, after which we would go back to the resort for a soak in the hot tub, followed by drip-drying in a hammock under the stars. This made for an amazing, relaxing end to everyday. We loved Coronado Springs Resort due to the extra large hot tub, which never seemed crowded (Labor Day weekend) and the lovely hammocks.

Unfortunately, CSR will be hosting some car show during Labor Day weekend when we'll be there. Most of their rooms have been booked, and there will be exclusive pool parties. This got me researching other options.

I like the ambiance of POR, but the size of their hot tub seemed like the standard smaller size, which can get crowded quickly. However, we can always hop on a boat and check out the tub at the French Quarter, if it gets to crowded.

My other option, if they offer a room discount, is AKL. Dont all the deluxe hotels have more than one hot tub?

I know its weird to pick our resort based on the availability of hot tubs, but what would you pick? and why? Good, frequent bus/boat transportation is also important to us, as well as comfortable beds.

BTW, we've never stayed at a deluxe before. I picked AKL because it will fit into our budget. Wilderness Lodge is another possibility.

THanks!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. jmcghee2024

jmcghee2024 DIS Veteran

If you can afford the price of the savanna view rooms, AKL. If not, POR. AKL is good, but the view of the animals is by far the best part. Without the view, POR is better in my opinion!

4. 2ndStarr

2ndStarr Earning My Ears

I would not count on room in the POFQ tub. Its tiny!

I don't know about AKL, but WL is a great choice for hot tubbing. There's two and they're quite large, plus the resort is smaller so you have fewer people vying for a spot.

5. Texas Barbie

Texas Barbie Mouseketeer

WL has 2 hot tubs, and a wonderfully romantic ambience. It's also just a short boat ride from MK. It would be my pick.

6. heidijanesmith

heidijanesmith DIS Veteran

DH loves hot tubs and AKL is his favorite. AKL has two hot tubs and a huge pool.

I love the Poly, but there are no hot tubs there...drives DH crazy.

7. Dis703

Dis703 DIS Veteran

I would pic POR myself as I think it's a very romantic resort. It's just so pretty and peaceful. It also has the boat to DTD if you want to take advantage of any dining or nightlife there.

AKL doesn't interest me that much and isn't really all that convenient to the parks. For me if I'm going deluxe I want location as my first priority.

8. mmmears

mmmears DIS Veteran

AKL is wonderful and has 2 large hot tubs, nestled in lush foliage. It's a fabulous place for a getaway IMO. There are 3 restaurants (other than QS) -- Jiko is a beautiful signature place -- we've had several good meals there, Boma is a buffet (but IMO better than the typical WDW buffet) and Saana which is looking out on the animals on the savanna.

WL is also beautiful and has a similar "retreat" feel, although it's close to MK. Artist Point is a signature restaurant right at the hotel. WCC is a fun place, too.

I'd prefer a deluxe with a private balcony for an adults-only get away. :)

9. Kae

Kae DIS Veteran

I would go with AKL. And for dinner you can choose from Jiko(the only signature) boma or Sanaa. Great choices.

Kae

10. shoney

shoney DIS Veteran

The hot tub at POR was just a kiddie pool when we were there. Yuck!!!

11. Three cats

Three cats DIS Veteran

Sadly, this is true. The hot tub at POR is right by the main pool so it's usually packed with little kids. Other than that, POR is a beautiful resort - just alot more spread out than AKL or WL.

12. ExpatDisneyLover

ExpatDisneyLover DIS Veteran

I think AKL definitely has great features for your trip - 2 hot tubs, a relaxing pool area with lots of trees and quiet places to hang out, great restaurants, lots of ambiance and a deluxe feel - great fitness room - hands down I would pick AKL!:)

13. nkereina

nkereina Wendy Darling

I can't speak to the hot tubs at WL or AKL, but last year we stayed at POR in September and the hot tub was closed for refurbishment the whole time we were there. It looked small as well, and the pool area was usually pretty crowded. September is value season and it's hot, so it makes sense for them to refurb hot tubs during this time. Keep your eyes peeled for this.

14. Dr. M

Dr. M DIS Veteran

yikes...polls are even :confused:. sounds like deluxe is the way to go for hot tub availability...but POR has the boats to downtown...and AKL is so far from all the parks- what's transportation to and from AKL like?

15. wiigirl

wiigirl DIS Veteran

POR would be my choice. :)

16. Kae

Kae DIS Veteran

We had good transportation at AKL but that was before the DVC was added. We liked the Transportation at WL. WL or AKL you can't go wrong. AKL has more at the resort TS to dine at & they are all great Choices. WL has Artist Point great TS and you would have boat access to GF & CR. Both have 2 hot tubs.

Kae

17. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

We've stayed at AKL and WL and both are great options, but I voted for WL for the close proximity to the monorail resorts as there is a variety of dining options to choose from. We found the transportation at AKL to be fine, but we prefer the MK area. Good luck.

18. nkereina

nkereina Wendy Darling

IMO, if I am going to pay deluxe prices, I want alternate transportation other than buses to and from at least one park. AKL does not offer that which is a deal breaker for me, no matter how beautiful it is. I might consider it if we had a car, but even still, it's off the beaten path. No way around that.

19. mmmears

mmmears DIS Veteran

AKL is all buses, but it doesn't share with other resorts, so IMO the buses aren't all that bad. (The bus service from the monorail area resorts was much worse for us since we had to share with 1-2 other resorts on each trip).

WL will give you boat access to the MK, but it's buses (I believe shared but I could be wrong) for the rest of the parks.

If the trip is heavily MK-based I would pick WL. Otherwise, I'd suggest looking at resort photos (and hot-tub photos if that's important to you) and choosing based on theme. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. :goodvibes

20. Dr. M

Dr. M DIS Veteran

Looking at resort photos was a great suggestion---I should've thought of that...I'm definitely not considering POR now, since their only hot tub is so small, and with over 2000 guest rooms, that's a whole lotta people to share a hot tub with :eek:

So now it's down to WL, and AKL, and the polls are still pretty close.

AKL's hot tubs don't seem too close to the main pool, so there may not be as many kids jumping in and out. Their hot tubs also seem more "private". Another reason AKL may be convenient is that we have ADRs for Sanaa and Jiko's. Disney bus resort-to-resort travel may take a while, so staying at AKL would save some travel time for that reason alone.

On the other hand, WL is a much smaller resort, with half as many rooms as AKL, so fewer people to share the hot tubs with ??? Their tubs seem closer to the main pool, so it may be more noisy/more kids/less relaxing ???

If you have experience with both these resorts and how they compare, please chime in

Much appreciated :)

21. Brave teacher

Brave teacher DIS Veteran

We have stayed at both. What you are forgetting is that in addition to the pool and hot tubs at Jambo House, you also have the pool and two additional hot tubs at Kidani as well. We have stayed only in Kidani Village at AKL/V, but we are at Jambo House in a couple of months. Love it! No problems with the buses at all. It picks up at Kidani then Jambo on the way to the parks. The isolation of AKL is what makes it so wonderful. It is like a whole other world while you are in WDW. The whole area is our absolute favorite part of WDW.

We stayed at WL on our last trip before becoming DVC members. We had a courtyard room. We liked it being smaller than other resorts. The bus travel was just okay since you pick up at Fort Wilderness and sometimes at the Poly or GF before heading out to the parks. The boat was nice, but it was only beneficial when going to MK, CR, or FW. The wait varied depending on how long it had been before the previous boat had left. The pool was smaller at WL than it is at Jambo, and the hot tub is not as secluded. There is a quiet pool over in the DVC area as well.

When given an option, my family chooses AKL/V over WL any day. It's where our heart is. We have stayed there for the past 4 years plus another stay this summer. We will be at WL in 2014. The last time we stayed there was in 2008.

We have never eaten at Jiko, but Sanaa is one of our favorite restaurants in WDW. Enjoy your stay wherever you choose.