Por new room categories and requests?

minniemom92

Earning My Ears
Considering POR for 2011 trip. Stayed there a few times in the past when the options were just Standard and Water View. Now, I see Standard, Water View, Preferred and River View. I think it is a good idea as it is a big resort. Especially, with the Water View option. I had Water View one time and got River View (which I wanted), but was told it could have been pool view because River was not guaranteed. Now you can get what you pay for. I also had Standard View and was in Bldg. 14. I can bet that will be a Preferred Location now for those of you who know the resort. It does not specify actual buildings that are Standard or Preferred on the website--just a description of location.

Do you think it is still worth it to mention Bldg. numbers on a Standard Room as in the past (14, 15, 18) and if they are not booked to capacity maybe they will put us in that building? If not, no loss.

Has anyone tried to book these rooms with a representative and made requests? What did they say as far as buildings and locations--Standard vs. Preferred? It is confusing as everything except Water View was Standard last week!:)

i HAD NOT HEARD THIS DO YOU KNOW WHAT ARE CONSIDERED PREFERRED?

Yes, it is on Disney's website when you go to the reservations page. You will see the additional charges for each category when you do a search for a reservation.

I also always booked water view, but it could be anything from river view to pool view (which is what I prefer) to a view of the fountain. I like the fact that I can pick which view I really want.

I do normally indicate that I want to be in Oak Manor, so I will continue to do that, so I agree that you can still request building nos. or names, as the OP mentions, since now there are additional categories of room types that you are paying for. Again, a request is never guaranteed.

I look there and it said 5 guests for standard and river and 4 for preferred so are the preferred just in the mansions? Also when I put in dates as to book a package I only had a choice of standard or water during value season. we are planning Jan 29-Feb 5. I think I will call tonight and talk to a CM as I am confused.I wanted to request Bldg 14 in AB section.

I look there and it said 5 guests for standard and river and 4 for preferred so are the preferred just in the mansions? Also when I put in dates as to book a package I only had a choice of standard or water during value season. we are planning Jan 29-Feb 5. I think I will call tonight and talk to a CM as I am confused.I wanted to request Bldg 14 in AB section.

I put in my dates November 26, through December 3rd, 2011 and it comes up Standard view, water view, king bed, river view, and preferred room.

When I do your dates, only the standard view, water view or king bed. That would tend for me to believe that the other categories are already booked.

POR is a very popular moderate and does fill up quickly.

I put in my dates November 26, through December 3rd, 2011 and it comes up Standard view, water view, king bed, river view, and preferred room.

When I do your dates, only the standard view, water view or king bed. That would tend for me to believe that the other categories are already booked.

POR is a very popular moderate and does fill up quickly.

That makes sense. Many of the other Resorts would have fewer room category options available when the rooms are sold old as well. For the dates that I looked, the king bed option was probably sold out and just the other 4 categories. Wow. I wonder how many more room categories there really are now for 2011 at POR.:goodvibes

That makes sense. Many of the other Resorts would have fewer room category options available when the rooms are sold old as well. For the dates that I looked, the king bed option was probably sold out and just the other 4 categories. Wow. I wonder how many more room categories there really are now for 2011 at POR.:goodvibes

Check my posting that you quoted - it has five categories - standard view, water view, river view, preferred room, and king bed.

Check my posting that you quoted - it has five categories - standard view, water view, river view, preferred room, and king bed.

I see that now. I am a fast reader sometimes and miss details. Tell my children not to do that--shame on me. Thanks for clarifying! :goodvibes

This is great news!

I had thought they needed a preferred section because of the size.

This is great news!

I had thought they needed a preferred section because of the size.

Basically, they are charging for the rooms that are closest to the main building, food court, and main bus stop.

So for the week I go, which is value season, I am paying $200.00 more for the week for a room I have been requesting forever at no extra cost.

We just got back Sunday from POR, building 35.
It was about a 5 minute walk to main building and pool, but that was no big deal. We had a quiet pool right next to us.
I wouldnt pay for a view. I can count on one hand how many times I looked out the window. Its not like you have a patio or anything, so what does the view matter?

It was about a 5 minute walk to main building and pool, but that was no big deal. We had a quiet pool right next to us.
I wouldnt pay for a view. I can count on one hand how many times I looked out the window. Its not like you have a patio or anything, so what does the view matter?

You are right about not having the patio at the Moderate. We just stayed 10 nights at the Polynesian and loved the balcony and all views were great in the Garden View (lowest cost room). We have also stayed 2x at POR. The difference I have found at POR is that River View kept on us the path close to the Main Building, the Food Court and the Main Pool. We tried to decrease our odds of getting a building too far away. Some of the walks can be can be much further than you have experienced. For some it might not be a bother, for some of my family it actually become physically painful after a long stay. Now, with the preferred location you can get a close building to the same features as mentioned above. I still will pay for the Standard View next time and let the room assigners decide. We have decided not to pay any more than Standard any more at Moderate resorts. We still look forward to going back to POR.

i just got off the phone with a really nice CM and asked about the preferred rooms. He had to put me on hold to try to get the answer, came back and said basically they don't know what rooms/bldgs are preferred yet as this just happened Sun. So long stry short I don't know what to do. I don't want to be put way far awya but I don't want to pay for something if I don't need to.

If being to the main building is important to you, I wouldn't hesitate, not even momentarily, to pay the extra money for a preferred location room. If I felt it was too far out, I'd politely ask at the front desk if there was a closer room available.

i just got off the phone with a really nice CM and asked about the preferred rooms. He had to put me on hold to try to get the answer, came back and said basically they don't know what rooms/bldgs are preferred yet as this just happened Sun. So long stry short I don't know what to do. I don't want to be put way far awya but I don't want to pay for something if I don't need to.

The description of the preferred location is on Disney's website, when you go through the reservations.

I ask for pool view, not because I want a view of the pool. It is nice just to walk out your door and the pool is right there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter