POR and POFQ experts

michelle1

DIS Veteran
I can't decide where to stay and I know everyone has a different opinion and favourite but I'm asking anyway. We stayed at POR years ago and loved it and now just DH and myself are going for 4 days in Sept. We will be doing alot of lounging by the pool in the day and DTD in the evenings. We will be using the WDW buses and probably only go to Epcot and Studios. I would like to try POFQ since we haven't stayed there but we may want to rent bikes or a boat...is the walk between the two far? (In Sept heat). Are the lounges at both comparible? I may just flip a coin because I'm anxious to book!

The walk is about 15minutes in the heat. Its beautiful to see, but not the fastest walk. Both are great. POFQ is smaller, which can be nice for an adult couple, but their pool is smaller.

My DW and I are going by ourselves for a trip to POR in June and I cant wait. Both resorts are beautiful, so either way you will be OK.

We love POR! We love the pool, the food court, everything but the double beds. We rented a surrey and rode through FQ and Riverside, it wasn't a big difference on bike. We just prefer being as close to what we love as possible. Plus we needed a room for 5! You'll have fun at either, I'm sure!:rotfl:

If you're doing alot of going to the pool and lounging around, etc., then you might want to go with POFQ. Its alot smaller, so you're more guaranteed to have a shorter walk to the pool, food courts, etc. Of course, if you're like my family, we'll walk as far as it takes as long as we're in POR. I can't say enough how much we love Riverside. The walk between the POR and FQ isn't too bad and its a pretty, peaceful walk along the Sassagoula(you can also catch the boat between resorts). If you can walk the parks in hot weather, you can easily make the walk between these two resorts. They are both charming in their own way, and people choose one over the other for different reasons. The busses usually pick up at FQ first, so you'll get a seat(at closing time each resort has its own bus), and of course there's the boat to DtD at each also. Many people(with kids) like FQ's pool better because of its water slide. The biggest reason I've noticed that guests pick FQ over POR is the size. Riverside is so large that you could get a room and have to walk several minutes to get to the main bldg/store/food courts. As much as I hated it when we were in the farthest bldg out in AB, we made the walk daily and it was fine. It just all depends on what works for you.:)

Since you are going by yourselves and want to lounge at the pool I'd say POR. POFQ only has the main pool no quiet pools. It's much nicer to lounge at a quiet pool than at the main pool.

I agree with Sue, I loved the quiet pools at POR, they actually were quiet, totally suprising me.

I love POR, it's a beautiful resort and by far the most relaxing one that I've been to. We didn't mind at all that we had a fairly long walk to get to the front building because the walk along the river is just so peaceful.

I would go back in a heartbeat if my budget allowed it but now that I can stay at SoG I can't really justify the extra money to stay at POR.

I would choose POR. If you want to lounge by the pool and the main pool is busy, you can always go to a quiet pool. There are no quiet pools at POFQ, only the dragon pool. And while I did enjoy the entertainment at POFQ, it can't compare to Piano Man Bob at POR. He is great!

I have a question that is related to the above topic. I am looking to go to Disney for the marathons in January 09. I will be running in the half marathon, and unfortunately because I didn't sign up in time with Disney, I now must sign up through an outside company to get a race entry. I found Anthony Travel, who has you book your hotel through them, and you can add on a race entry. Is $159 / night for the POR expensive? Are we getting ripped off? I hear that January is a "dead" time for Disney and you can usually get great deals, but also that because its the Marathon weekend there, they jack up the prices a bit too for that weekend, and so therefore it is not a bad deal. Thanks for the help!!

I've stayed at both and POFQ definitely gets my vote! It is charming and beautiful. The smaller size is great, everything was 2 minutes or less from our room. The walk to POR was only about 10 minutes which is about the same as the walk from our POR room to the food court was. They are both great but we just really preferred everything about POFQ!

going in Sept - so you have the free dinning?

then my suggestion to rent a reservation at BWV (if you can get a standard view) - is not going to work.

would say BCV it definitely has the better pool. BWV is cheaper is you can get a standard view. Otherwise go with BCV.

your oq - there is one pool at POFQ - there are 6 pools at POR. so POR wins for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter