Popcorn/drink mug questions

waltfan42

Mouseketeer
Is there a place to get popcorn on the dream? If so, is it "fresh" or bagged? Also, anyone have a type of mug that they like to bring for the drink stations? I don't have a refillable one from Disney---looking for any suggestions of what type is best and where to buy. Also, I'm wondering if it will be worth bringing them along for the whole family and taking up suitcase room.
TIA

Is there a place to get popcorn on the dream? If so, is it "fresh" or bagged? Also, anyone have a type of mug that they like to bring for the drink stations? I don't have a refillable one from Disney---looking for any suggestions of what type is best and where to buy. Also, I'm wondering if it will be worth bringing them along for the whole family and taking up suitcase room.
TIA

I can't answer about the popcorn, but there is another thread talking about people who bring their own mugs/cups etc. The cups provided are tiny paper cups, so to keep from having to refill as often, we take larger cups with lids/straws. You do have to use the paper cup they provide to fill your cup up to prevent cross contamination. So, my family uses one cup - fills up all our cups at once - then off we go!

:banana:

Popcorn is available for purchase outside the theaters--that's the only place I've ever seen it except in concierge (where it is free). It is bagged and not really very good IMHO.

Cups--you decide. I've found it worthwhile to get something like the McDonald's large plastic drink cups (wash them out after McD's instead of trashing. As above, you are asked to use a clean cup provided at the beverage station and pour into your large cup --no chance of contaminating the drink machines that way. Why I like these cups--they hit the trash at the end of the cruise, saving suitcase space. And they stack nicely on the way there, again taking very little space. Oh, you can pack a sunscreen bottle or whatever in the cup too, so it's not "empty space."

Do they sell refillable mugs at the onboard gift shop?

That would be a great souvenier!

Wow, I must have missed that - I mostly filled mine straight for the fountain, and so did many others, right in front of crew members... Of course, all the rum in my cup before adding Coke probably sterilized it... :rolleyes1

I should try and remember that for the next cruise!

Wow, I must have missed that - I mostly filled mine straight for the fountain, and so did many others, right in front of crew members... Of course, all the rum in my cup before adding Coke probably sterilized it... :rolleyes1

I should try and remember that for the next cruise!

On the Magic, there are several signs posted on the beverage station requesting that guests use a new cup for each refill. But you are right, I've never seen a CM say anything about it to any one!

I have had experiences where they post CMs at the beverage station and THEY get the drinks for you--one time it was because they were having some difficulties with the system, but the other time was when they were serving you from the buffet, so it may have been a "germ alert" situation.

Thanks for the responses! I think the McDonalds cup suggestion is a great one. My dh will be bummed about the popcorn--I was hoping for fresh popped on the Dream for his sake----but no biggie! Thanks again.

my dw and I got the popcorn (prebagged) from room service! we had popcorn and watched a movie on the statehood tv at night.

Popcorn is available for purchase outside the theaters--that's the only place I've ever seen it except in concierge (where it is free). It is bagged and not really very good IMHO.

Cups--you decide. I've found it worthwhile to get something like the McDonald's large plastic drink cups (wash them out after McD's instead of trashing. As above, you are asked to use a clean cup provided at the beverage station and pour into your large cup --no chance of contaminating the drink machines that way. Why I like these cups--they hit the trash at the end of the cruise, saving suitcase space. And they stack nicely on the way there, again taking very little space. Oh, you can pack a sunscreen bottle or whatever in the cup too, so it's not "empty space."

My shampoo fits perfectly in my 34 oz Bubba Keg!!:lmao:

I know on the Magic, most folks just got a plate of hot french fries from Pluto's Dog House in place of popcorn to take into movies on the Buena Vista Theater.

Does anyone know why DCL doesn't make fresh popcorn? Is it the mess? For some reason it seems like popcorn spills a lot in regular movie theaters. Is it a fire hazard? I've heard here on the boards that some people believe popcorn makers are a huge fire hazard. :confused3

Does anyone know why DCL doesn't make fresh popcorn? Is it the mess? For some reason it seems like popcorn spills a lot in regular movie theaters. Is it a fire hazard? I've heard here on the boards that some people believe popcorn makers are a huge fire hazard. :confused3

All I can say is that I work at a school that has a popcorn maker. (We use it to make special treats for meeting school goals.) Anyway, the fire alarm goes off almots every time we use it. Then, we have to evacuate and wait for the fire department to clear the school. I think the machines burn hot and create a lot of smoke. So, I could see how this would be a problem on a ship.

Were going on our first cruise in May! Were planning on bringing our Klean Kanteens - also would be great for excursions/beach!

Love our tervis tumblers! they are big and a little heavy and would probably take up space. we're spending a couple of days before at WDW, and we will probably get the refillable mugs and bring them on board with us instead of our tumblers (and Tervis has some cute disney characters and designs, plus I got our names ours too). I do like the idea of the disposable McD cups.

I purchased Disney travel mugs when they were on sale. They are tall and have a lid. Bonus!! They have many different styles, one for each of us. DH used his for morning coffee. I used mine for mixing fruit punch and sprite.
I took this safely to the movies with no worries about spilling. Bought the popcorn several times and found it to be fine. Just what you'd expect from prepackaged popcorn.:lovestruc

The cups provided are not what I'd call tiny. I estimate they hold at least 12 ounces. If you are a returning cruiser, the castaway club gift includes 2 metal water bottles. Those could be washed and used. Anything to save space when packing! : )

Oh, and not only is the popcorn bagged; but about half of the onboard stock is caramel popcorn. 2 weeks ago on the Magic, we tried to buy regular popcorn and all they had was the candied popcorn. The staff told us that they tend to run out of the regular stuff by mid cruise.

We bought 2 bags of popcorn one night before the show. Got some regular butter/salt kind. Turned out to be pretty good. At least as good as, if not better than, stuff we buy at theaters on land. Popcorn was crunchy, not soft and stale. Not all crumbs. Good amount of salt and butter flavor. They seem to run out since they didn't have any more on the next day for the movies.

For the drinks, I recommend using the hot cups for longer term use like bringing them back to the room. The hot cups are styrofoam and hold up better than the cold cups made of paper. Too bad the lids for each cup are different, though.

My shampoo fits perfectly in my 34 oz Bubba Keg!!:lmao:

bubbajug.jpg

All I can say is that I work at a school that has a popcorn maker. (We use it to make special treats for meeting school goals.) Anyway, the fire alarm goes off almots every time we use it. Then, we have to evacuate and wait for the fire department to clear the school. I think the machines burn hot and create a lot of smoke. So, I could see how this would be a problem on a ship.

It may be an insurance thing too. Once I had to work the popcorn machine at a Relay for Life, and I got burned SO MANY TIMES from putting in the butter mixture...The sheer mess that it can make could also be an issue. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter