POP Century~Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #7~Sept 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Just back from a business trip to Orlando where we stayed at the Hilton at Bonnet Creek. Every morning when I looked out my window, I saw Pop Century. While the Hilton was nice, I missed Pop!

Good luck to Janet B as she battles Hurricane Sandy (no relation).

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Hi there...
I'm going to try to give you a quick review of our first stay at the POP
Oct 7-13.

We didn't really have a special request and got assigned building 9 which was fine by us. It was a pretty short walk to the bus stops.
Everything was exactly as I had imagined and both my mom and daughter were excited as well to be there. As we were all very tired we decided to just have dinner and try to get some rest.

The overall experience at POP was excellent. The room was kept nicely clean during our stay, we had no problems with loud noises, we met some very nice CMs and the food at Everything Pop was delicious as well.
We swam in the computer pool which was a nice cool off on those hot days.
I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by the weather. It was hot and sunny during our stay. Not one drop of rain. :yay:

One afternoon my daughter and I walked over to AoA to take some pictures. It looks amazing! :thumbsup2
We almost changed our reservation to the LM section of the AoA, but I'm so happy we didn't afterall. It is a really long walk to the bus stops and food court. It would have been a real pain. :crazy2:

During our stay we went to Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Downtown Disney. It was my daughter's first trip and she had the biggest smile on her face the whole week.
We can't wait to go back. Would be nice to stay at other resorts as well, but we will probably go back to POP first. ;)

Thanks to all of you who gave such amazing tips and information. My mom was surprised at how much I knew about the resort and WDW :upsidedow

I will try to post some pictures shortly. :wave2:

:wave: Nice trip report! :goodvibes Happy that you had a wonderful experience being first timers at Disney. Actually the 90s (bldg 9) is a nice location for being close to the bus stops. One Year, we have a room near Mr./Mrs. Potato head and really liked it! We thought the computer pool was less crowded than the others.

Have you booked a return trip yet?? :goodvibes We will be waiting when you are ready to post some pictures!! :)

This is exactly why I chose to go back to POP! We stayed in a Cars family suite last month and it was so cool. It'll just be me and my 2 daughters for our next trip and I couldn't justify spending the money on a family suite for just the 3 of us. I considered a LM room but, like you said, the walk to LM is so looooong. So I decided to go back to POP which we know and love!:love:

And by staying at POP, it's just a quick walk over the bridge to eat at Landscape of Flavors or watch their outdoor movie. It's like having the best of both worlds.

Did I mention that I love POP? :goodvibes

The cars suite is the one we would like to try as well .. :goodvibes but it's hard to justify the $$ if it is just DD and I. Next trip to POP we will make the time to try landscape of flavors .. we visited 2 times but we just took in the sights (which were terrific!) And agree that being at POP is getting the best of both worlds in having 2 resorts at hand. :)

Hi all,

Just back from a business trip to Orlando where we stayed at the Hilton at Bonnet Creek. Every morning when I looked out my window, I saw Pop Century. While the Hilton was nice, I missed Pop!

Good luck to Janet B as she battles Hurricane Sandy (no relation).

Thanks Sandi! :flower3: We still have power, but with the wind/rain picking up, will assume that at some point it will go out. :sad2: But I will continue to check in with you all until that time.

I'm just curious -- are the beds still on "platforms" (as opposed to wheels/legs)? Every time we've stayed there the beds were on platforms and when we tried to move one during our first stay there way back in 2004 it wouldn't budge so we've never tried to move one again. I wonder if they changed them after the remodel a few years ago and made them moveable (I'm thinking they were still on platforms, though). We've stayed there since the remodel but never tried moving a bed again after that first failed attempt.

Yes they were on platforms that we could move. I liked the platform because it kept the 6 year old from rolling off her mattress and under the bed. We had 2 rooms and both had beds that we could move.

Hello POPers! :wave2: I'll be at Pop this weekend doing a live trip report and tweeting with pics and info if anyone wants to follow along. :) The links are in my signature. We'll be at the F&W on Friday and preview of the new Fantasyland on Saturday. Come join! ::yes::

It may have been a month or more back. Probably during back to school.

quick update: we checked out this morning and then checked back in since they had to book it under the "hurricane" code. we're flying out friday morning now. we got a nice cm this time, which makes all the difference. we're just resting at the hotel today and then we plan to do universal studios and islands of adventure tomorrow and thursday. we might as well while we're here!! i'm super excited to get to go to wizarding world since our original plans couldn't fit it. and we are scheduling a mears shuttle to pick us up from pop and take us to universal studios. it's $19 per person roundtrip. does anyone have experience using them for this particular run? does anyone have other transportation suggestions (besides renting a car, which would not be cost efficient for us)? thanks!!!

raraavis said:
quick update: we checked out this morning and then checked back in since they had to book it under the "hurricane" code. we're flying out friday morning now. we got a nice cm this time, which makes all the difference. we're just resting at the hotel today and then we plan to do universal studios and islands of adventure tomorrow and thursday. we might as well while we're here!! i'm super excited to get to go to wizarding world since our original plans couldn't fit it. and we are scheduling a mears shuttle to pick us up from pop and take us to universal studios. it's $19 per person roundtrip. does anyone have experience using them for this particular run? does anyone have other transportation suggestions (besides renting a car, which would not be cost efficient for us)? thanks!!!

We went a few years back and used cab service. It was 3 of us and I think it was only like $25 each way. Depending on the number of people a cab might be cheaper.

Out of curiosity you could ask one of the cab drivers at POP how much they charge. The cabs are parked to the far left as you enter the main parking lot.

We went a few years back and used cab service. It was 3 of us and I think it was only like $25 each way. Depending on the number of people a cab might be cheaper.

thanks! i'm not sure what to do. it's 2 of us (and we share our money since we're a couple), and we were given an estimate of $50 each way by cab. even if it's $25 each way, it is still a little more expensive than taking the shuttle. i just have no concept of how long it will take to get from pop to universal using a shuttle. since it's a shuttle, i assume it picks up at other locations as well. i know it's only like a 25 min drive to universal from pop, but that won't include picking up other guests i imagine. this is so hard for me because i planned my disney trip so meticulously and for months. now we suddenly decided to do universal, which i have done no research for! so i am freaking out!

we are also trying to decide if we should do universal studios in addition to islands of adventure. there just isn't that much to do at the studios. maybe i'm wrong. i don't know!

Out of curiosity you could ask one of the cab drivers at POP how much they charge. The cabs are parked to the far left as you enter the main parking lot.

well it certainly doesn't hurt to ask! we're heading downtown tonight, so i'll swing over to the cab line on our way to the buses. thanks for the tip!

So, to start, I did look at the first posts of the thread...

I see that POP has hairdryers. The first post of the thread says they reportedly don't work well. Anyone have any idea? Wondering if I should bring mine? We fly out Thursday AM!

raraavis said:
thanks! i'm not sure what to do. it's 2 of us (and we share our money since we're a couple), and we were given an estimate of $50 each way by cab. even if it's $25 each way, it is still a little more expensive than taking the shuttle. i just have no concept of how long it will take to get from pop to universal using a shuttle. since it's a shuttle, i assume it picks up at other locations as well. i know it's only like a 25 min drive to universal from pop, but that won't include picking up other guests i imagine. this is so hard for me because i planned my disney trip so meticulously and for months. now we suddenly decided to do universal, which i have done no research for! so i am freaking out!

we are also trying to decide if we should do universal studios in addition to islands of adventure. there just isn't that much to do at the studios. maybe i'm wrong. i don't know!

I hate winging it but I guess extra days at Disney winging it or not id better then being at work...lol

I found it hard to do both parks and we did not wait in line to ride much....my then 7 year old was not able to ride a lot because of his small size. Maybe you can do one park and then upgrade to a hopper later in the day...worth asking!! Good luck!! We should be there tomorrow at 11pm if our flight is on time....it is coming from NC so it should....

Well, I am happy to read your CM was completely different this time. :goodvibes We visited Universal and loved the WWoHP ... we had 2 teenagers who were in love with Harry so we spent a large amount of our time in that area (but I loved it as well). :goodvibes

That being said, over two days I would spend 1 1/2 days at IOA and 1/2 day at the studio... is it much more $$ for a park-to-park tix?? We purchased a 3 day park to park tix at Costco (approx $145).

If you have never toured the studios, I would do it (love E.T.) ... no experience with Mears as we decided to rent a car as it didn't make sense for us to take Mears as we had 4 people and planned to spend 3 days there. :)

I have read several previous posts on this subject, but wanted some general feedback from those of you who know...

We will be arriving at PoP on December 10th for our first time staying at PoP. Our travel arrangements were made with a TA. I asked our TA to add a couple of request to our room reservations. I asked for 50s/building 3, lakeview. We have a total of 3 standard rooms reserved. The previous request in the beginning was for two of the three to be connecting and the reservations are linked as well.....I received a reply from my TA that the 50s building #3 request was made, but they were not able to make the lakeview request due to that not being included as a view for standard rooms. Is this correct?? They were told it would have to be under the pool/waterview category. I thought I had read previously that others have had lakeview rooms that were standard rooms. Thanks and sorry for the LONG message :)

I have read several previous posts on this subject, but wanted some general feedback from those of you who know...

We will be arriving at PoP on December 10th for our first time staying at PoP. Our travel arrangements were made with a TA. I asked our TA to add a couple of request to our room reservations. I asked for 50s/building 3, lakeview. We have a total of 3 standard rooms reserved. The previous request in the beginning was for two of the three to be connecting and the reservations are linked as well.....I received a reply from my TA that the 50s building #3 request was made, but they were not able to make the lakeview request due to that not being included as a view for standard rooms. Is this correct?? They were told it would have to be under the pool/waterview category. I thought I had read previously that others have had lakeview rooms that were standard rooms. Thanks and sorry for the LONG message :)

We've had a lakeview room twice at Pop, and both times it was standard. i don't think that has changed? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Whazzatk said:
So, to start, I did look at the first posts of the thread...

I see that POP has hairdryers. The first post of the thread says they reportedly don't work well. Anyone have any idea? Wondering if I should bring mine? We fly out Thursday AM!

They have the small Sunbeam brand that I have seen at lots of different hotel chains. They just don't have enough power to dry thicker hair. I have a small travel hair dryer that I bought a long time ago that has higher wattage and blows harder.

bigbabyblues said:
We've had a lakeview room twice at Pop, and both times it was standard. i don't think that has changed? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am staying on a lake view 60s room that is a standard room now. It may just be that there is not any available for your timeframe and connecting. I would have your TA keep checking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!