POP Century~Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #7~Sept 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
We also just recently stayed at the POP and really liked it. We were in the 50s building and the walk was just a few minutes. I did a few loads of laundry which was also convenient. The buses were excellent, we never waited more than 5 minutes. I also really liked the fact that there was only 1 bus stop. The only complaint I had was the food court. The food was average and I thought the staff was unfriendly at times and I did mention this to the manager. I think they need someone to improve their customer service in the food area. In the end, I would stay there again and recommend this resort to anyone. I am sure Disney will improve the service in the food court.

Just left Pop Wednesday. After five nights at Beach Club Villas with some friends, we stayed two nights at Pop. We have stayed in many of the resorts now at all levels, but Pop feels like home every time we walk back into the lobby and see the Everything Pop sign.

According to all of our friends back home, we picked the perfect time to be gone. For eight days, we got pictures and comments via phone and FB about the cold and snow back home. I was evil and sent back pictures of the pool, palm trees, and blue skies. ;)

We had a fantastic room - 5363 - right on the pool and a stone's throw from Classic Hall. Now I have only one building left that I have not stayed in - Lady. I have stayed in some buildings multiple times, but I haven't landed in Lady yet, so I may request that building for the December trip. It's more important that we have connecting rooms, though, so that is our #1 and only request as of now.

We had the door open both nights to feel the breeze and listen to the sounds of kids splashing around in the pool, and both nights the lady next door came out to smoke on the balcony. We shut the door until she was finished.

I booked two rooms at POP for my family of 5. I requested connecting rooms of course. This is my one and only request. Has anyone ever requested connected rooms and not gotten them? Just curious.

We always request connecting rooms and, so far, we have never not gotten them. Maybe we have just been lucky, but we've stayed at Pop many times, and they have always come through with connecting rooms. And when we have needed three rooms, they have given us connecting and either next door or within a few doors. Hope it all works well for you in your requests, too. :thumbsup2

We love having a lake view. Shhhhh - don't tell anybody. They will start charging us more to have it. LOL

I think a first floor lake view would be wonderful! I have booked through southwest vacations, should i make my resquest through Disney now or wait for check in?

Just home from 8 nights at POP. This was our first stay at Pop, 10+ trips to WDW. I LOVED Pop. Things are within easy walking distance, the food court was delicious, and the theming is great.
I did online check-in and had room keys in minutes from the front desk. I requested bldg 3, 4th floor, lake view and got an awesome view of Illuminations every night from our window. It was the perfect location.
We loved the tye-die cheesecake and the Oreo Mickey cupcakes. The chicken parmesan was delicious. DD loved the pizza.
We had no probs with the buses. Twice we jumped on an AOA bus back from the parks and quickly walked to our room at Pop. AOA theming is awesome, especially at night. We talk a walk over there to just look around and came back around the lake. It was a nice stroll.

A few notes: if you book thru AAA it is not easy to add someone to your reservation during your vacation or get Magical Express for that person. I was able to do it, but it took time.

If you need extra towels at 11 pm, you get them fast.

I had to do some laundry and it took 30 mins in the washer and 30 in the dryer. Jeans were dry after just 30 mins on high. I remember drying for over an hour at POR years ago.

If you go to WDW in March, bring clothes for all weather. It was 86 on Saturday and 46 on Tuesday. Shorts to gloves!!!

And lastly, if you go to WDW over spring break/Easter, you gotta have a plan and be prepared for big crowds! We were prepared but I met plenty of people that had no idea it would be so crowded and that lines would be really long.

We LOVE Pop!!!

Thanks for the report and pointers. One month until my first time at POP and I love reading all these tips. Awesome report :cool1:. Thanks!
Josh

I have a question for you seasoned POPpers! :)

My kids are REALLY into Pac-Man, and we would love to book a room that looks out onto one of the buildings with Pac-Man and the ghosts on the railing so that we have a view of the characters from our window. Which building should we request? I know we need to get a pool-view room to make it work, but beyond that I'm not sure which building(s) will give us what we want!

Thanks in advance for your help!

My kids are REALLY into Pac-Man, and we would love to book a room that looks out onto one of the buildings with Pac-Man and the ghosts on the railing so that we have a view of the characters from our window. Which building should we request? I know we need to get a pool-view room to make it work, but beyond that I'm not sure which building(s) will give us what we want!

The standard pool view rooms in building 7 or 9 in the 80's section will have a window facing the other building across the way. The standard pool view rooms in building 8 the 90's building will have a window facing where you can see both of the 80's buildings. The Pac-Man characters are on the outside railings of both the 80's buildings.

It isn't required to book a standard pool view room in order have a "view" of the characters, but it could increase your chances. You would want to request one of those buildings specifically as a standard pool view room could also be assigned in the 50's section.

Also keep in mind that your window "view" isn't unobstructed -- your window no matter where you are, first you see the outside walkway, then the railing, then the view beyond.

I have a question for you seasoned POPpers! :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello! We got room 7405, (Roger Rabbit building), this is the view from there:

DSC_5361.jpg

But it was a Standard Room (4th floor). I do not have a view from inside the room...

Here's the April "Movies Under the Stars" schedule for Pop and AoA:

Pop Century Poolside Movie Schedule

8:30PM - By the Hippy Dippy Feature Pool at Pop Century

Sunday - Wreck-It Ralph
Monday - Ratatouille
Tuesday - Cars
Wednesday - Alice in Wonderland (2010)
Thursday - The Incredibles
Friday - The Muppets (2011)
Saturday - Toy Story 3 (Apr 22: DisneyNature Chimpanzee)

Art of Animation Poolside Movie Schedule ~ 8:30PM

Sunday
Wreck-It Ralph

Monday
Lilo & Stitch

Tuesday
Tangled (See our Princess Page)

Wednesday
The Secret World of Arriety

Thursday
The Lion King

Friday
Hercules

Saturday
Tarzan (April 22: DisneyNature: Chimpanzee)

Anybody gonna be down 4/4-4/6? Solo traveler enjoying my bday looking for park buddies

Awesome!! Your trip is almost here!! :cool1:

DH and I are looking forward to another great stay at POP. :goodvibes
Doing a bit of a different trip this year.

We are only staying for 11 nights and then heading over to Universal for 11 nights. We are planning to check out Sea World and the Titanic this year.

Just as long as I get to visit wiht the mouse I'm a happy girl.princess:

Wow!! have great that you have such a long vacation planned!!

I can't wait to hop on the Monorail..I don't truly feel like I am at Disney until I do that!! Only a week and a half to go!!! So excited!!:cool1:

I know what you mean... but the airport "fake" monorail makes me happy too! :goodvibes

It went down today for the Saturday we wanted to leave. I added 2 nights and got a 4.00 credit. 16 nights in the world. :cool1::cool1:

Nice Kelly! 16 days in the world!! :yay:

50 days!!! Omg!! Can't wait!!!

When I booked it was 200+ days!!!

The boys are ready to go tomorrow lol
I dug out the suitcase today. Hehehe

:banana:

35 days here! I called today to give them my flight info so they could send out my ME tags, and to do a room request - I'm so excited!

:cool1:

Exactly one month from today and I will be "home" again :goofy:

:dance3:

We've booked our next trip to WDW and we're staying at Pop again!

We'll be there September 10-21!:goodvibes:banana:

:dance3: Another nice long trip planned!! :woohoo:

We also just recently stayed at the POP and really liked it. We were in the 50s building and the walk was just a few minutes. I did a few loads of laundry which was also convenient. The buses were excellent, we never waited more than 5 minutes. I also really liked the fact that there was only 1 bus stop. The only complaint I had was the food court. The food was average and I thought the staff was unfriendly at times and I did mention this to the manager. I think they need someone to improve their customer service in the food area. In the end, I would stay there again and recommend this resort to anyone. I am sure Disney will improve the service in the food court.

Welcome back! Happy that overall you enjoyed your stay. :hippie: The 50s is a great location. :thumbsup2 We usually have no issues with the Food Court, with either the CMs or food, but realize it can happen at any time, any resort. Good that you mentioned your concerns to the manager. :goodvibes

Just left Pop Wednesday. After five nights at Beach Club Villas with some friends, we stayed two nights at Pop. We have stayed in many of the resorts now at all levels, but Pop feels like home every time we walk back into the lobby and see the Everything Pop sign.

According to all of our friends back home, we picked the perfect time to be gone. For eight days, we got pictures and comments via phone and FB about the cold and snow back home. I was evil and sent back pictures of the pool, palm trees, and blue skies. ;)

We had a fantastic room - 5363 - right on the pool and a stone's throw from Classic Hall. Now I have only one building left that I have not stayed in - Lady. I have stayed in some buildings multiple times, but I haven't landed in Lady yet, so I may request that building for the December trip. It's more important that we have connecting rooms, though, so that is our #1 and only request as of now.

We had the door open both nights to feel the breeze and listen to the sounds of kids splashing around in the pool, and both nights the lady next door came out to smoke on the balcony. We shut the door until she was finished.

Welcome back MeMom!! Another great stay :yay: (well minus the smoker not adhering to the rules :( ). We also have stayed in the 60s and in both buildings and love that location.

Too funny about sending back pix and updates on the weather... I would of done the same evil thing... :rotfl2: We have yet to stay in Lady... but we do request lake view so that could have something to do with it... :upsidedow Always nice to "hear" from you!!

Just home from 8 nights at POP. This was our first stay at Pop, 10+ trips to WDW. I LOVED Pop. Things are within easy walking distance, the food court was delicious, and the theming is great.
I did online check-in and had room keys in minutes from the front desk. I requested bldg 3, 4th floor, lake view and got an awesome view of Illuminations every night from our window. It was the perfect location.
We loved the tye-die cheesecake and the Oreo Mickey cupcakes. The chicken parmesan was delicious. DD loved the pizza.
We had no probs with the buses. Twice we jumped on an AOA bus back from the parks and quickly walked to our room at Pop. AOA theming is awesome, especially at night. We talk a walk over there to just look around and came back around the lake. It was a nice stroll.

A few notes: if you book thru AAA it is not easy to add someone to your reservation during your vacation or get Magical Express for that person. I was able to do it, but it took time.

If you need extra towels at 11 pm, you get them fast.

I had to do some laundry and it took 30 mins in the washer and 30 in the dryer. Jeans were dry after just 30 mins on high. I remember drying for over an hour at POR years ago.

If you go to WDW in March, bring clothes for all weather. It was 86 on Saturday and 46 on Tuesday. Shorts to gloves!!!

And lastly, if you go to WDW over spring break/Easter, you gotta have a plan and be prepared for big crowds! We were prepared but I met plenty of people that had no idea it would be so crowded and that lines would be really long.

We LOVE Pop!!!

Welcome back!! So another POP convert! :yay: Another lover of 4th floor rooms (and lake view) here....Especially the end rooms :thumbsup2 We also jumped on AoA buses 3x (in August) and enjoyed our stroll back at night too... agree that it's a beautiful resort. :thumbsup2 Next time we want to try their food court since we couldn't fit it in our schedule in August.

Thanks for your tips and insight on the March spring madness! It's always good to be prepared. :goodvibes

I booked two rooms at POP for my family of 5. I requested connecting rooms of course. This is my one and only request. Has anyone ever requested connected rooms and not gotten them? Just curious.

We only requested connecting rooms once, and were assigned them last August. :goodvibes And MeMom posted that she has been fortunate to get them.

You are going in summer so a busy time; however, as it appears you are flexible (making no additional requests), this should help your odds. In addition, if not initially assigned connecting rooms, ask at check in and the CM will do their best to accomodate you. :goodvibes

I wanted to introduce myself as ill be visiting Pop next month! My 60 yr old aunt (who is also my godmother) asked if I'd like to go on a vacation as her husband doesn't travel (last year we went to Vegas w/ my mom, sister, 2 aunts & cousin-this was my aunts 1st vacation out of town in 20+ yrs & now has vacation bug). So of course I suggested my beloved Disney, & my aunt was worried it wouldn't work in her budget, & I let her know Disney can fit any budget, so I suggested Pop! I just booked us sunday (last day to take advantage of spring deal) at Pop 5/26-5/30 w/4 days standard tickets & dining plus plan! This will be my aunts 1st trip to Disney!

My aunt had asked me last month about going on a vacation, but I didn't want to commit as DH just graduated in Dec 2012 with 2nd degree & has been looking for new job so I didn't want spend until he found new job. Well 2 wks ago he was offered new management job & all of his background screening came back on Friday & has an official start date so DH gave me the green light!! He also found out he can take vacation after 6 mos so we can go this fall!!

Problems:
1. Finding inexpensive flights
2. Finding dinner reservations as things seemed booked

So the things I am now considering:
1. Upgrading tickets to AP when I arrive
2. Booking bounce back while at Pop for fall trip w/ DH to YC or BC

Any thoughts on AP/bounce back?

Thanks for listening to my long rambling story, I just wanted to give you full background story.

Any Pop advice I need to know? We stayed at Pop 1 night last year, & really didn't to explore hotel all that much.

Has anyone seen the fruit/veggie puree that comes in a squeezable container?
Below is a link if no one knows what I'm talking about.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11929001&searchURL=false

TIA:cutie:

If you're asking if that or a similar product is available at Everything Pop, I haven't seen it in all the times we've been there. Seems like that product is something that could be shipped or packed pretty easily. I wouldn't think there would be enough demand for it to stock that sort of item at the resort.

I wanted to introduce myself as ill be visiting Pop next month! My 60 yr old aunt (who is also my godmother) asked if I'd like to go on a vacation as her husband doesn't travel (last year we went to Vegas w/ my mom, sister, 2 aunts & cousin-this was my aunts 1st vacation out of town in 20+ yrs & now has vacation bug). So of course I suggested my beloved Disney, & my aunt was worried it wouldn't work in her budget, & I let her know Disney can fit any budget, so I suggested Pop! I just booked us sunday (last day to take advantage of spring deal) at Pop 5/26-5/30 w/4 days standard tickets & dining plus plan! This will be my aunts 1st trip to Disney!

My aunt had asked me last month about going on a vacation, but I didn't want to commit as DH just graduated in Dec 2012 with 2nd degree & has been looking for new job so I didn't want spend until he found new job. Well 2 wks ago he was offered new management job & all of his background screening came back on Friday & has an official start date so DH gave me the green light!! He also found out he can take vacation after 6 mos so we can go this fall!!

Problems:
1. Finding inexpensive flights
2. Finding dinner reservations as things seemed booked

So the things I am now considering:
1. Upgrading tickets to AP when I arrive
2. Booking bounce back while at Pop for fall trip w/ DH to YC or BC

Any thoughts on AP/bounce back?

Thanks for listening to my long rambling story, I just wanted to give you full background story.

Any Pop advice I need to know? We stayed at Pop 1 night last year, & really didn't to explore hotel all that much.

I would suggest for reservations looking into off times. I know that eating after 2pm for lunch isn't ideal. But maybe you could get some of the places you would like to eat.

Well I am finally getting around to posting...
I have been back from POP for about 11 days now. The resort was never at 50% capacity the whole time I was there (3/19-22). The food court was absolutely dead every time we went in there even to fill our mugs which was several times a day. They even had sections closed off...I guess to make it easier on the CMs for cleaning. Some days they even had some of the soda machines covered over too. It was VERY slow!!

To the poster who wanted to know about the big wheels... (I have looked for your post and I cannot find it!) No one seems to know anything about these anymore, so I am going to assume that they are not doing this anymore. I asked the recreation peeps, the lifeguards (at the suggestion of others CMs lol as they seem to be well informed according to those CMs :rotfl2:), the Front Desk Mgr that I am friendly with, the Concierge desk, and a couple of other sources... No one seemed to know about them anymore. Sorry I could not give you a better answer.

And regarding the question about converting counter service credits into snacks... This is the answer I received... Disney's official policy is that this is not allowed. HOWEVER, if on your CHECKOUT DAY you have CS credits left, if you go to one of the food court mgrs, they will allow you to convert one CS credit to one snack. Not a wise use of your CS credits but it beats letting them expire and getting nothing for them. This is POP's decision and goes against Disney's rules, but they are allowing it. So don't expect it anywhere else. And it MUST BE on your CHECK OUT day.

Here's what else I learned this trip. Contrary to what others have posted, They don't always have cabs at POP. I needed one Sunday evening to get to the GF. They can get one for you in about 10 minutes or less but they don't have them there 24/7. This is my first cab experience from POP and it was very pleasant but they aren't just necessarily sitting there waiting for business. There are times where they may be...but it is not a given.

All in all, I had a nice stay! Check in was a bit rough, but we got things straightened out with some time and effort. The manager I dealt with was very sweet! The room assigner could've been a bit nicer but at least she came out of the back so we could all talk face to face and that made things move much faster once she came out of the back room! ;) Honey goes much further than vinegar...But it all worked out just perfect in the end with no raised voices or unkindness! :goodvibes It just would have been SO much easier if the the room assigner would have read the notes in the reservation the FIRST time. LOL ;) But all went well in the end and that is what matters most!! :thumbsup2

Oh and I did notice that they did have 2 lifeguards posted at the bowling pin pool during the day (until 8pm). I can't say anything about the computer pool because I don't head over that way. I did feel kinda sorry for them because often there was no one in the pool and they were just sitting there bored as all get out. But I understand why. I did still see people in the pool after the lifeguards were off duty and even after the pools were 'officially closed'. Now this is just my opinion, but at this point in time, I don't think anything is going to change regarding use of the pools. As long as people were quiet, they were still allowing them to use the pools 'after hours'. Again this is all my opinion based on my observation. I guess time will tell for sure!!

Let me know if you have any other questions... :)

66 days until my next scheduled visit...if I don't go back sooner....:rotfl2:

Does anyone know if it's alright to have your own alcohol poolside? I know they have a bar but making margarita's in room and going to pool shouldn't be a problem I hope
35 days until we hit the road to see Mickey & the gang !!!!!

Which pool is the bar near?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter