POP Century~Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #7~Sept 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soooooo, my husband and I are super low maintenance, and so some of the negative reviews on here don't worry me. I've read way more positive things about Pop, so I'm super excited! I'm just thrilled about being on site!

BUT.....( you knew that was coming, right?) I admit I'm sorta bummed that if your request a King room, you're not guaranteed one. It's just me and the hubs, and (get ready for a little TMI) we pretty much cuddle like sleepy bears all night. In other words, without a king, the alternative is two twin beds??? How do couples manage this? Do y'all just sleep in separate beds? Move the beds together? Cuddle up in one?

How good are the chances for us getting a king in September, especially if I make no other requests? I really don't care which building we get....I kinda look forward to the luck of the draw, and figure if they put us in the boonies, it's good exercise! :) but the no king is buggin me....I haven't even told my husband because I know he's going to be super bummed....lol.

Two Full size beds. :)

If I am reading the map right there are 2,880 rooms at Pop-10 building with 72 rooms on each of 4 floors.

5 of those buildings (Jukebox, Play-Doh, Mickey Phone, Walkman, Laptop) have only standard rooms and 5 (Lady, Tramp, Mogli, Big Wheel, Roger Rabbit) have accessible rooms. The standard room buildings have only 2 kings on the first 3 floors so only 6 rooms in 5 buildings = 30 standard king rooms in the entire resort.

The accessible buildings have 4 double bed accessible rooms on all 4 floors so 16 * 5 buildings = 80 total and 6 king accessible rooms on each floor so 24 * 5 = 120 total.

That leaves 2,650 standard double bed rooms.

All king rooms have connecting doors.

So, for those couples only...if you don't get a king, what do y'all do? Please don't say sleep separately, because that'd be very sad. :( is there a good chance of getting a king if we're going in September, and we have no other requests?

So, for those couples only...if you don't get a king, what do y'all do? Please don't say sleep separately, because that'd be very sad. :( is there a good chance of getting a king if we're going in September, and we have no other requests?

I've never requested one so I don't know what your chances are. You can book a king room in the moderate resorts. It is just a request at values and deluxe resorts.

I had no trouble sleeping in the double bed with someone, you shouldn't have trouble either really. They are not Twins, they are doubles, so while it's a tighter squeeze if you really cuddle that close you should be fine.

I had no trouble sleeping in the double bed with someone, you shouldn't have trouble either really. They are not Twins, they are doubles, so while it's a tighter squeeze if you really cuddle that close you should be fine.

Sorry for the multiple posts...I'm on the iPad, and it said my first message was not processing, and I was like "aw heck, I'm not rewriting all that", hence the shorter duplicate one. ;) sorry about that!

Glad to know they're doubles! I was under the impression they were twins for some reason. Not so worried anymore!

Awesome, thanks for the info on mears! I think we'll be using their service when we go. How far in advance did you have to call to schedule a pick up time?

I was hesitant on whether or not it was worth it to sacrifice a day from disney to go to "the dark side". But once my husband saw the hulk roller coaster, Spider-Man ride, and the rip rock it coaster, he was sold. So, looks like we're going! Haha...

How much was the transfer to AOA?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Just checked out today from building 6 at POP. No towel animals this trip but the mousekeeping was done very well. The food court never seemed overcrowded like when I walked over to AoA last night for dinner. The pool wasn't even really crowded either! I just wish they had an option to pay for a King Room like in the Moderates and Deluxe categories..maybe some day!!!

How much was the transfer to AOA?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

If you need tickets and transportation to IOA/US, I recommend buying the two together from the board sponsors, DreamsUnlimited. You can check out the offers and prices here: http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/universal/tickets.htm

We purchased the two day tickets so did two days at IOA/US during our spring break last year. The transportation worked great from Pop.

Not sure I should say this or suggest this, but DH needs an accessible room for bathroom grabs and room for ECV when we are at WDW and when I click that we need an accessible room we have the option of booking king rooms with different bathroom types at all values. At mods and deluxes kings cost more but they are the same price at values. Just thought I would share.

Awesome, thanks for the info on mears! I think we'll be using their service when we go. How far in advance did you have to call to schedule a pick up time?

I was hesitant on whether or not it was worth it to sacrifice a day from disney to go to "the dark side". But once my husband saw the hulk roller coaster, Spider-Man ride, and the rip rock it coaster, he was sold. So, looks like we're going! Haha...

MEARS was AWESOME! Such a great service. You just have to call the day before (24 hours in advance) to schedule a pickup. They were always right on time, and always pleasant taking us back in the afternoon as well. Such a great service, I'm so glad I read about it on here. I wouldn't EVER pay for a cab when you can just do this!

My guy and I stayed at CSR on our last trip and didn't want to pay an extra $40 or whatever it is per night for a king bed. We just cuddled in the double bed and it was fine! And it was kinda nice during the afternoons when we went back to the room, I could take a nap in one bed and he could play on his laptop or whatever in the other one :)

Just checked out today from building 6 at POP. No towel animals this trip but the mousekeeping was done very well. The food court never seemed overcrowded like when I walked over to AoA last night for dinner. The pool wasn't even really crowded either! I just wish they had an option to pay for a King Room like in the Moderates and Deluxe categories..maybe some day!!!

Welcome back! Happy you enjoyed your stay at POP! :hippie: Sometimes we get a towel animal, last year, our mousekeeper was kind enough to indulge my DD and my niece with a little towel making 101 :upsidedow Its good to read that the service itself was great.:thumbsup2

And even though some guests want the ability to book a king room... can you imagine adding another booking category to POP?? making it 5 categories?? and then how does one differieniate between the king rooms in certain areas i.e. standard vs pool view?? yikes! Too much, we are still getting used to the extra 2 categories this year..:goodvibes

If you need tickets and transportation to IOA/US, I recommend buying the two together from the board sponsors, DreamsUnlimited. You can check out the offers and prices here: http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/universal/tickets.htm

We purchased the two day tickets so did two days at IOA/US during our spring break last year. The transportation worked great from Pop.

Sandi, you are amazing as usual...thanks for posting and reminding us of this link! :thumbsup2

Not sure I should say this or suggest this, but DH needs an accessible room for bathroom grabs and room for ECV when we are at WDW and when I click that we need an accessible room we have the option of booking king rooms with different bathroom types at all values. At mods and deluxes kings cost more but they are the same price at values. Just thought I would share.

Handicap rooms and room options available are intended for guests like yourself that require the accomodations. :goodvibes Its good that it is in a different category and maintained just for this purpose. :flower3:

Checked into POP today...was talking to one of the check in desk supervisors and surprisingly enough while some of the other hotels are booked solid, or close to it...POP is not! Yay For us!! This is supposed to be a busy week here! :)

My DD works at Saratoga Springs and it was a Mad House over there!!

:wave2: stitchlovestink...Have a great time at Disney with your DD (when she's not working :)) Good to hear it's not full - enjoy! :cool1:

Ahh gee thanks. I know once I digest it, it'll be ok.
It's just hard when you've had this plan in your head.. Preferred View, and request was 50's section. We wanted to spend time in the Bowling Pin pool, and yet be close enough to transportation.

Last time I did a standard room at the All Star Sports.. we were in the BACK and the longest walk. At night with 2 young little kids walking to your room is the WORST feeling ever. Didn't want to have to do that again this time, y'know?

Can I hope I end up with some pixiedust: at check-in? lol

You never know when you might get "dusted" :goodvibes Will say that we usually book standard and request lakeview...and we have not been disappointed... bldg 3 (tramp) building is in the 50s and offers a great location for Classic Hall - Busing. Perhaps you want to consider requesting close to transporation on your reservation. :)

I am here right now sitting at the pool, I have to say based on some of the reviews I was actually regretting booking here. I have a standard room In building 4 and I was pleasantly surprised by the accommodations. My last stay was at Coronado springs and I prefer this place. Right by the pool, clean rooms. I have heard that the rooms are tiny and I have to disagree. As first timers here we are very happy that I did not switch hotels.

We really like the 60s (our last stay was in Bldg 4). Like you, we have stayed at moderate level, and agree that the difference in room size from a value to mod is very slight, and it not a concern for us. :) Enjoy your stay!!

So exited for our first trip to POP May 3-10! Only stayed at moderate, but honestly, we only shower and sleep in there, so why waste your money?! Any creative tips (Besides the tie dye cheesecake!) for a first timer here?
Thanks!
Josh

Heading to WDW tomorrow morning. Will be at Beach Club :beach: until Monday, then switching over to Pop :hippie: for two nights. If anyone thinks of any picture requests, let me know.

So exited for our first trip to POP May 3-10! Only stayed at moderate, but honestly, we only shower and sleep in there, so why waste your money?! Any creative tips (Besides the tie dye cheesecake!) for a first timer here?
Thanks!
Josh

I'm not sure that this is a creative tip, but it is interesting to me. Check out the shadow boxes in the lobby of the hotel for all the memorabilia they've featured. It's really quite a collection and, depending on how old you are, will bring back some memories. Also, I like taking a stroll (or run) along "memory lane" which is the walkway near the lake. They've put up informational signs about significant events during the various decades. Also, now that AoA is complete, that walkway goes all around the lake and it is fun to check out AoA's landscaping, etc.

All that takes time away from the parks, etc., but I enjoy it. (I don't like the tie-dyed cheesecake, so ymmv :goodvibes)

I'm not sure that this is a creative tip, but it is interesting to me. Check out the shadow boxes in the lobby of the hotel for all the memorabilia they've featured. It's really quite a collection and, depending on how old you are, will bring back some memories. Also, I like taking a stroll (or run) along "memory lane" which is the walkway near the lake. They've put up informational signs about significant events during the various decades. Also, now that AoA is complete, that walkway goes all around the lake and it is fun to check out AoA's landscaping, etc.

All that takes time away from the parks, etc., but I enjoy it. (I don't like the tie-dyed cheesecake, so ymmv :goodvibes)

Thanks! Excited to see AoA as well. We'll try the cheesecake, and let you know!
Josh
P.S. GO GREEN! (Right next to you! Frandor area. Good to see another EL person on here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter