POP Century ~ Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #6 ~April 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a couple of ways of doing this. You can call the reservation line if you booked directly through Disney and put in your requests with a Cast Member that way. If you went through a Travel Agent then your TA can put the request in for you. You can also do online check-in, but I'm hearing that occasionally there are problems putting in requests that way. I have a friend who's leaving in the next week and she finally gave up trying to do check-in online and finally called Disney directly because she wasn't getting the special requests pop up. I think probably the best way to go is to speak to a live person. :) Also there are some requests that aren't options when you check in online and I believe being near a smoking area is one of those options not listed. However, there is a DSA right outside the Classic Hall and if you've requested to be close to Classic Hall, you might be fairly close to that DSA. HTH! :goodvibes

Thank you very much.

no way! that's great news! i'm from Canada and our first trip to WDW is coming up Dec 12!!! Woohoo....I have a question re: cell phones and free wifi. i know it costs a fortune if you leave your phone on "roaming" in the US. But my carrier (Sasktel) says as long as there is free wifi you are not charged for its use. (for example, i can use my iphone at the airport on the wifi network without accuring roaming charges)....so i am assuming this is the same at Disney then? It would be great if i could take advantage of the apps that let you know how long the line waits are.

Here's what I was able to find out for you. As Sasktel has told you you will not be charged when using wifi either at MCO or WDW . Remember that using wifi is for internet browsing and calling via skype you can't make regular cell phone calls on wifi. If however you make a Cell PHONE call to home or somewhere else you will be charged roaming and calls from the US are billed at 95 cents per minute according to the Sasktel web site. Hope this helps you out.

Well, I'm one of those people who gets up and does the laundry at 6:00 a.m. There is rarely anyone else doing laundry at that time. I've only done laundry at Pop once -- at 6:00 while I'm out for a run (sure, I have stinky clothes after that, but I don't want to be breaking into theme park time!). I think there is a sign in the laundry facility that says how long the washers take to do a load, so I can time things well. When I put the stuff in the dryer, I go take a quick shower and get my Coke Zero. Then I'm done!

I noticed that people seem to do laundry while families are swimming. The laundry facilities are right near the pools.

Sandi ... this is exactly what I did in August!! Got up early - hit it at 6:30 am and did two loads of laundry, sat outside near Petals (used the 60s facilities), had my diet coke, my chocolate crossiant (yum!) while I waited. Only 2 others were in there with me. No waiting, and my family had clean clothes for the day!! :cool1:

dillydilly .... there are 12 dryers and 8 or 9 washers .... this was the 60s one but sure they are all identical. I have also done laundry late at night, again it's not a wait.

Thank you all very much for the info! I have laundry to do for 7 people and this is really helpful!

I am staying at Pop again this year JUST so that it is easier to get to the tie-dye cheesecake. My recommendation? Get it at breakfast and put it in your resort room fridge and then when you get back at night from the parks you have a delightful evening snack waiting for you. ..... I do that each night I'm there. Don't judge me! :blush:

Thanks for the great idea! My dh just loves cheesecake. What a great surprise for him after a long day at the parks.

We were in one of the 50's buildings. It was great. We were in the end room on the 4th floor, so we only had two neighbors and no overhead noise with minimal outside noise at night. I can't imagine how loud the 1st floor rooms are with pedestrian traffic!

We were in the 60's bulding (right behind Baloo ;)), on the first floor and we did not hear anyone walking outside our door (or above us) the whole time we were there. I am calling tomorrow to request the same rooms/area - hopefully it will be as quiet as last time.

We have to be up at 2:00 am tomorrow and leave the house by 3:00 am :crazy2: But that will be ok as we will be at WDW & the POP :cool1:

this is what we are doing next Tuesday for our DL trip, my DS is not sleeping I will try. There nothing like it, the bees in your stomach the night before and the hours up until you leave.

Wow, you are up to thread #6! I haven't been following along but DH and I will be heading to Pop about a year from now (late Sept or sometime in Oct) so I'm here filled with excitement and ready to read about any changes that have taken place since we stayed there back in 2009. :goodvibes

Flights are officially book! Since we're not getting in until late (probably get to POP at 10 or later) should I add that to my reservation? Is it like other hotel chains where they can give you room away? I doubt it will be full enough for that but just curious!

Here's what I was able to find out for you. As Sasktel has told you you will not be charged when using wifi either at MCO or WDW . Remember that using wifi is for internet browsing and calling via skype you can't make regular cell phone calls on wifi. If however you make a Cell PHONE call to home or somewhere else you will be charged roaming and calls from the US are billed at 95 cents per minute according to the Sasktel web site. Hope this helps you out.

Thankyou! it does help! now i can use my new iphone 5 and make use of those line apps! Can't wait to get to POP!

I didn't expect to be doing this so soon, but I just made reservations for Pop Century for this weekend to go to the MNSSHP!! We haven't been to the party in 7 years!!

First time at a value, so obviously first time at Pop. Wanted to thank everyone on this thread for being so helpful with all of the information. I may not post a lot but I read and get lots of tips and thoughts. We were a bit hesitant about staying at a value but we do not stay in the room much at all and DH is not one to hang around a resort that much...especially WDW. He wants to be out and about...no necessarily commando at all, but just out and about. Our "fears", so to speak were unfounded and we loved Pop. When Magical Express pulled into the resort, we were instantly happy and found all CM's to be most helpful. As I said in another post....lots of stress prior to our trip and did not ever get the chance to put in a request for our room. We wound up building 6, 2nd floor. It worked out well as we didn't want ground level and being on the 2nd floor we could use the stairs easily.

People say they hear toilets flushing and all sorts of noises in the values...for us, didn't find anything like I imagined. We slept well, no noises and had a wonderful stay. Mousekeeping was fine, no issues at all.

Again, thank you everyone for so all of the valuable advice.

First time at a value, so obviously first time at Pop. Wanted to thank everyone on this thread for being so helpful with all of the information. I may not post a lot but I read and get lots of tips and thoughts. We were a bit hesitant about staying at a value but we do not stay in the room much at all and DH is not one to hang around a resort that much...especially WDW. He wants to be out and about...no necessarily commando at all, but just out and about. Our "fears", so to speak were unfounded and we loved Pop. When Magical Express pulled into the resort, we were instantly happy and found all CM's to be most helpful. As I said in another post....lots of stress prior to our trip and did not ever get the chance to put in a request for our room. We wound up building 6, 2nd floor. It worked out well as we didn't want ground level and being on the 2nd floor we could use the stairs easily.

People say they hear toilets flushing and all sorts of noises in the values...for us, didn't find anything like I imagined. We slept well, no noises and had a wonderful stay. Mousekeeping was fine, no issues at all.

Again, thank you everyone for so all of the valuable advice.

Glad you had a great time!

Now that you mention it, this was the first stay at Pop where we did not hear any toilets flushing. I know there were people in both rooms next to us. We also didn't hear anyone above us either.

Can anyone tell me if the fridges are indeed "regular" refrigerators? We're having groceries delivered and want to make sure that our yogurt and milk will be kept cold enough ;)

Thanks!

Can anyone tell me if the fridges are indeed "regular" refrigerators? We're having groceries delivered and want to make sure that our yogurt and milk will be kept cold enough ;)

Thanks!

They are mini refigerators. The one in our room was configured differently than the ones we've had at the mods. They do keep everything cold enough. No worry there. Just requires some creative organization to get alot in there.

We had a half gallon of milk. I brought back my meal (their plate with a lid on in) from Everything Pop and it totally filled the entire width of the refrig. So we put the rack over top of that.

So excited for our first stay at Pop in about 12 days. Just so excited:banana: :banana::banana:and thankful for this great thread and all the posters.

To everyone planning or counting down, here is some pixiedust: for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!