Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help....thinking about staying at Pop Century resort this October for 5 to 6 nights. I need to know how good the wifi is in the rooms. <My husband will be coming the last night we are there and will be working from the hotel room one day and he absolutely needs a stable internet connection. Since it will just be my daughter and I aside from our last night, was thinking staying onsite would be best. We could book off site though is the internet isn't great. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Help....thinking about staying at Pop Century resort this October for 5 to 6 nights. I need to know how good the wifi is in the rooms. <My husband will be coming the last night we are there and will be working from the hotel room one day and he absolutely needs a stable internet connection. Since it will just be my daughter and I aside from our last night, was thinking staying onsite would be best. We could book off site though is the internet isn't great. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

In the common areas and outside the signal strength is good. But the stability is spotty as it depends on how many other people are using the wifi at the same time. None of the resorts are great, because IMHO they don't have enough bandwidth, but can be good.

Now some rooms are good, some rooms are terrible. In fact in our family we don't call it wifi, we call it iffy.

A few years ago when I had to work one day during our vacation I used the wired internet. I had to pay a daily fee versus the wifi which was free. For me it was worth it for one day to get everything done smoothly and quickly so I could join my family by mid afternoon. :) I don't know if they still offer this since all the resort changes, but if they do it might be worth your $$. I found it to be quite stable and a reasonable speed. I want to say it was like $10-12 for the day.

A few years ago when I had to work one day during our vacation I used the wired internet. I had to pay a daily fee versus the wifi which was free. For me it was worth it for one day to get everything done smoothly and quickly so I could join my family by mid afternoon. :) I don't know if they still offer this since all the resort changes, but if they do it might be worth your $$. I found it to be quite stable and a reasonable speed. I want to say it was like $10-12 for the day.

Thanks...I will call and ask the resort. That would be a good solution.

Thanks...I will call and ask the resort. That would be a good solution.

All of the resorts have removed the wired connections. That's no longer an option.

The connection at Pop Century, 50's, lake side, has been a bit spotty but not too bad overall. I work in IT and one night we had a small problem with one of our servers so I had to remotely connect to it and work on it for 1 to 2 hours. The connection worked well enough for me to do that.

Is there a fixed order in which DME buses travel? Just wondering whether Pop was going to be the first resort on the way from the airport or not. We have stayed at Pop several times before but previously have not flown when staying there.
POP was always the last stop when I used ME but it sounds like that may have changed....

I was just trying to point out that the fridge isn't going to "feel" cold with nothing in it. I don't care if someone wants to crank it up as cold as it goes...that's their decision. We've never had the experience of having the fridge being turned way down when we checked in. It's always been "mid-range" and we just put our stuff in it and head to a park. I've never had to adjust the temperature on one at Disney even when we've had milk in it (I'm not saying other people don't need to adjust the temp, just saying *we* never needed to...so far). I just know that on our mini fridge in our guest room at home, if it gets turned up too cold, everything in the back freezes so we tell our guests not to turn it past 4 or 5. We keep a few bottles of water in it all the time so it always feels cold and people aren't tempted to turn it colder right off the bat. The reality is, the ones at Disney shouldn't be installed in those cabinets -- they need 4-5" of space on all sides of the fridge to allow air to circulate and the fridge to work efficiently. They work much better when pulled out of the cabinet.
They are fine placed in cabinets as long as air can circulate to the coil. That is what matters. Refrigerators are almost always surrounded by something and are never freestanding. They just need air to be able to get to their coil. So them being stored in the cabinet is a fine as long as the back of the cabinet is open and it is in these. :)

Yes, a gallon will fit. At least the fridge in my brother's room last week was able to fit one without laying it on it's side.
I am here now and mine will not hold a gallon without removing the shelf which as others posters have stated....will leave little room for anything else. Apparently there are 2 styles of fridges?? And it seems most rooms have the newer version which is harder to put a gollon jug in.

Next week will be my 5th stay at Pop. We certainly do like the resort. Having said that, I have enjoyed it least when we stayed in the 90's section. I have made my room requests (50's lakeview) , so here's hoping we wind up there!

Next week will be my 5th stay at Pop. We certainly do like the resort. Having said that, I have enjoyed it least when we stayed in the 90's section. I have made my room requests (50's lakeview) , so here's hoping we wind up there!

:tinker:Pixie dust for the perfect room for you! :goodvibes

November will be our 9th stay at POP and the 80's/90's section is the only area we have not stayed in.
I have read in several posts that alot of people LOVE that section, especially when they drive since it is so close to parking and especially building 9 because of the close proximity to the bus stops.

I am going to add a hope for you, that you get building 3.
We have been in building 2 our last 2 trips and even though there is nothing wrong with building 2 and we LOVE the 50's section, it can be a pretty long trek after a long day at the parks.

Just back from Pop last week. We had stayed there for one night a couple of years ago but this was our first time using it as our home base. We loved it, for the most part. I was worried about the tiny rooms but we really didn't have a problem, although we did have a king room so I think that opened things up a bit. We loved the pools and all the decorations and thought everything was so clean and bright. We saw them repainting the potato heads one day and I was thinking about how much I love Disney's attention to detail and maintenance.

I had to do laundry one night because my DD got a tummy bug (Puke laundry :crazy2:) and while I thought the credit card machines were better than coins would be, why not have some way to use your Magic Bands? That was the only time all week I didn't use it and it seemed weird. I want my laundry to be magical too.

We found the food court to be kind of hectic and awful so we usually walked to AoA, but that's probably a matter of preference.

The only true disaster that we had at Pop was the transportation. We usually drive to the parks so we only tried to bus it to MK twice but both times were a nightmare. The buses took FOREVER to come and there were so many people waiting. And why oh why would they not have a cover to keep you out of the sun when you're waiting forever for the buses?!? It was pretty dreadful.

Otherwise, thumbs up!

while I thought the credit card machines were better than coins would be, why not have some way to use your Magic Bands? That was the only time all week I didn't use it and it seemed weird. I want my laundry to be magical too.

I understand your feeling on that, but it's probably not going to happen. The machines are owned and operated by a third party vendor so they are on a different system than the Magic Bands.

Hello everyone...It sure has been a long time since I have been on here. But once again I am planning my 3rd solo to my home resort for next year for the food and wine festival. So much has been going on since I was last on here. I have had 2 grand children so that is a total of 3.
Hope everyone is good and enjoying your vacation planning.
PS I do not like the new disboard...I want the old one back

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter