POP CENTURY TIP and minor complaint

999thghost

haunted masion resident
Hi all, just got back from our 5 day trip and i just wanted to give a tip about the pop century resort.
We had a preferred pool view room very close to petals pool bar. At first this seemed like a great idea until the night time came. It seems as though the hippy dippy pool never closes and the pool bar stays open until midnight. Do you see where this is going?? OK....apparently alot of adults dont realize that some people sleep between 11pm and 6 am . Had to call security on a group of adults who were hammered and screaming/laughing at 1:40 am next to the pool. I have to admit that the resort handled the situation promptly but my recommendation is this : If you have a fondness of getting a good nights sleep after a long day at the parks don't ask for a pool view room. Its loud all the time.:scared1:
The resort decided to test their fire alarms in the middle of the day with no warning at all. Guests were scrambling from their rooms with no clue what to do.
Other than the above i would say that this is a very clean /efficiently run resort for the cost factor. The services for the kids are excellent. They have a staff that keeps the kids occupied non stop.:dance3:

I agree!

We stayed at POP 4 times and had super quiet stays 3 times. The one time we didn't, we had a Pool View - not the main pool but the computer pool. CRAZY loud until all hours - We were there in the summer and that pool was as crowded and loud at 1:00 am as it was at 1:00 in the afternoon. :worried:

I have always had excellent experiences at the value resorts with limited noise near the pools late at night. I am a very very light sleeper so this will be good to know for Pop.

I hope the rest of your trip was good!

We had the same problem when we were there in march. It was 2am and we had just gotten back from magic kingdom and were getting ready for bed so we didn't notice......until we tried to fall asleep. Ours weren't even adults they were kids! Probably around 10 years old screaming at each other in the pool while they were playing with a beach ball. Never mind at 8am you can hear the music blasting and its usually high school musical or hannah montana.

We have stayed at POP twice and have loved it both times. We have never gotten a pool view room because we figured it would be a little too loud for use come bed time.

POP is our favorite. Never really had an issue with noise late at night. But on the other hand when the kiddies wake up in the morning, Oh My. :hyper:

That is one of the reasons we never book a preferred room. I have heard on many occasions how loud those rooms can get. We did have a room overlooking the computer pool once back when they were standard rooms given to returning guests. It was the middle of March and the noise was not bad at all.

My favorite rooms at Pop are in bldg 4, higher floor, facing the lake!!! I did have a pool facing room, ground level, at AoA last month. I was a bit concerned but it turned out to be fine. But, there isn't a bar there either!!! It was the Little Mermaid pool...that may have accounted for the quiet.

I won't take a room at Pop if it's facing the main pool area...even the quiet pools get a bit noisy at night with the kids in the water!!

We stayed at Pop Century on our last trip. We didn't book a preferred room, but we did have a pool facing room. We were on the fourth floor, facing the computer pool. I didn't think it was noisy at all except for at night. The pool was hardly ever crowded.

But, there was one kid that we nicknamed 'the screecher' who was probably about 3-4 years old. I don't know what his parents were thinking, but they would bring him out to the pool at 10pm each night and let him screech and run around, and then they would bring him in around midnight. They were staying in the room next to us and he would run up to the room, banging on the fence the whole time. I swear, every time someone would open the door to their room, all you could hear was him shrieking. Honestly, I didn't find this to be the resorts problem, it was the parents' problem. So we didn't find it was difficult to deal with, just an annoyance and one that you might have at any hotel. We were so exhausted from running around the parks all day that we didn't find it too hard to fall asleep.

The resort decided to test their fire alarms in the middle of the day with no warning at all. Guests were scrambling from their rooms with no clue what to do.

To be honest, though, the guests should have done what they were supposed to do - get the heck out of their rooms. Don't want to think about if it wasn't a test.

It has always been obvious to me that a pool view room would be noisy at any resort Disney or not. I also don't have any expectation of peace and quiet at a Disney resort in the mornings espcially when you know people will be heading out to make rope drop and are excited to be heading to the parks. I book a preferred room to be close to the dining and transportation but never a pool view room. However, PoP is compact and not having a preferred room has been good for short trips.

we stayed at POP in April of 2012 the week leading up to Easter and booked a standard room. We were given a first floor room right by the computer pool. I was worried about the same thing but it was quiet. Guess you never know! Our loudest stay was one year at AKL , and the Contemp on the 6th floor above chef mickey's was the other loud crazy stay....who knew????

It has always been obvious to me that a pool view room would be noisy at any resort Disney or not. I also don't have any expectation of peace and quiet at a Disney resort in the mornings espcially when you know people will be heading out to make rope drop and are excited to be heading to the parks. I book a preferred room to be close to the dining and transportation but never a pool view room. However, PoP is compact and not having a preferred room has been good for short trips.

This. Also, what value is a pool facing room? Just being closer to the pool? I guess that is important to some people but I'd rather hike to the pool than be listening to antics all night.

We must be really heavy sleepers. We had a preferred pool view for a week, and I don't recall ever being awakened at night. We were on the left (facing the pool) ground floor, second room. We did have a box fan for white noise, and we were awakened by the pressure washers in the morning but never before seven, and by then we were ready. All week long we commented on what an awesome room location we had.

Great info here. Thanks. Heading down in September. Reservation says preferred room... But I KNOW the wife would prefer quiet over anything else. If I want a lake view room - when do you suggest I make that request? Upon check-in? Or should I call POP now?

redman96 said:
Great info here. Thanks. Heading down in September. Reservation says preferred room... But I KNOW the wife would prefer quiet over anything else. If I want a lake view room - when do you suggest I make that request? Upon check-in? Or should I call POP now?

If you want to switch out of a preferred room, I'd do it as soon as possible. If they can't switch you, you'll be paying an upcharge for a room you don't even like as much as the cheaper rooms.

I'm a very light sleeper and have to wear ear plugs when travelling. We always stay at CR MK view above CM and we've never found it noisy. But DD wakes up every morning by 7am no matter how late we go to bed ;)

We stayed at POP January "12 in a Standard Lake View Room and I was disappointed with all the sounds we could hear through the walls. We never had a problem with pool noise but we could hear toilets in the other rooms flushing, sneezing through the walls and talking. We are heading back this Nov. upgraded to CSR this time and hoping for better insulation. The noise was my biggest complaint at POP.

We stayed at Pop Christmas 2010 with a lakeview room in the 60s and LOVED it. Decided to split stay August 2011 with a preferred pool view room. BIG mistake...as others have stated people were in the pool until 1am and the movies by the pool were going until after 11pm. We could hear the movie clearly in our room. Unfortunately, my 6 year old couldn't sleep until almost midnight with the volume of the movie. We are going to try it again this August and have booked a standard view and requested the 60s high floor. Hopefully, we will enjoy it as much as we did the first time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter