Pop Century Renovation in 2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesupersmartguy

DIS Veteran
From Mouse Planet's WDW weekly update:

Construction update

Here is the listing of interesting items from paperwork filed with Orange County in the last week:

* Magic Kingdom parking lot – milling and overlayment of main entrance and exit roads, east tram lane, Sneezy and Donald parking lots.
* Magic Kingdom – milling and overlayment of Park 3 Canal Road.
* Main Entrance/TTC – installation of fiber optic cabling and electrical outlets.
* Magic Kingdom Main Street – carpentry and electrical work.
* Magic Kingdom Tomorrowland – electrical work.
* Magic Kingdom Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station – modification of existing handrails and installation of new ceiling fans.
* Epcot France pavilion wine shop – POS CCTV cameras installation.
* Disney's Hollywood Studios Stage 1 Company Store – removal and replacement of 13 windows.
* Disney's Hollywood Studios Oscar's Stroller Rental – POS CCTV cameras installation.
* Downtown Disney Team Disney – electrical work.
* Grand Floridian Resort – building work.
* Contemporary Resort Convention Center loading dock – removal of existing sliding door system and replacement with new, high speed and roll-down metal door system.
* Contemporary Resort Convention Center cast parking – installation of electrical outlets.
* Wilderness Lodge – milling and overlayment of the entrance & exit of the porte cochere and parking lot road.
* Yacht & Beach Club Resorts walkway retaining wall – concrete inventory and demolition with installation of new concrete.
* Coronado Springs Resort Dig Site pool building – replacement of heat exchanger.
* Pop Century Resort all buildings – guest room rehab.

So what actually happens when they are refurbing a resort?

Is the occupancy severly cut down or how do they work that?

Is there specific months or weeks they are doing this?

We are planning to go in 2010, not sure when but we stay at POP.

It looks like they usually do a section at a time. They sometimes add new furnishings, but usually they redo the carpet, bedspreads, curtains etc...

thesupersmartguy said:
* Epcot France pavilion wine shop – POS CCTV cameras installation.

* Disney's Hollywood Studios Oscar's Stroller Rental – POS CCTV cameras installation.
Now, THESE two updates are, um, 'interesting'...

Can somebody please keep an eye out for the installation of an auto-open door anywhere at Cosmic Ray's? I'll go back when I can get into this restaurant without assistance.

I just returned from Pop Century, I didn't have a horrible time but I do hope they manage to find a way to do better sound proofing. It is really bad to lay in bed and hear all of your neighbors using the toilet.

Crap. I hope they aren't working there in August. They were finishing up CSR while we were there... I was assured they were done with my building when we got there. Actually, we were the first guests back in our room which meant the bathroom pretty much fell apart when we arrived, our elevator was shut down, they were drilling in rooms around us a lot of the day and they kept testing our fire alarms during my 7 month old's nap time. Now I booked at POP this year, looks like construction just likes me. :headache:

I just returned from Pop Century, I didn't have a horrible time but I do hope they manage to find a way to do better sound proofing. It is really bad to lay in bed and hear all of your neighbors using the toilet.
Well, no, to be honest that's probably not one of the items involved in a refurbishment. It's generally cosmetic. Adding soundproofing would mean going into - if not destroying/rebuilding completely - many walls.

One tip: keep your bathroom door closed at night.

Yes keeping the bathroom door shut at night does work. We used this tip 2 weeks ago and no issues. ;)

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but you can hear those "super suction" toilets no matter where you stay. Value or Deluxe. Doesn't matter. I guess these toilets are so powerful that the sound penetrates the thickest of walls :laughing:

Just got back from POP on Monday and I will agree closing the bathroom door at night does tone down the toilet flushing sounds..

I agree - too much information some times. We did start shutting the door which DOES help. Not eliminate, but help. Those are some loud toilets!

Was just wondering if anyone visiting or in the know had more info. Will this be an update of fresh paint and blankets or is there going to be a whole new look? :cutie:

I am very interested in getting more information about the renovations at Pop as we are going the first week of May.

Does anyone know anything more specific...especially the nature of the renovations and when they will happen?

Thanks in advance. :)

Cool... some of the rooms NEED and Update, some look pretty good.:thumbsup2 My DS is staying there in 15 days, so I will see if anything is happening.;)

I hope it's done by May. I have read nightmares of other hotels, the recent was Coronado Springs.

We've stayed at Pop the last 3 years and felt the rooms, beds, etc. were very nice. So I'm surprised about this. Does anyone know if this is on the rooms or service building upgrades?:surfweb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter