Poor sick pup--UPDATE post 28

minkydog

DIS Cast Member
Tiki got up vomiting this a.m. He threw up in his bed and on his feet, even. He's lethargic and his mouth is very dry. He's licked a sore spot on his nose and his eyes look weepy. I took him to the vet this morning because I'm really worried about him--he only weighs 14-lbs. Poor little pup. The vet was concerned too. His temp is low and his gums are pale. She did some blood work and gave him a shot for the vomiting. But boy, he is really low. Normally, Tiki is pretty spunky and happy. Now he doesn't even want to get up. The vet put him on Flagyl just in case he has a parasite, although his fecal was negative.

I'm hoping he bounces back soon. If not, we may end up at the emergency vet this weekend. :(

Tiki got up vomiting this a.m. He threw up in his bed and on his feet, even. He's lethargic and his mouth is very dry. He's licked a sore spot on his nose and his eyes look weepy. I took him to the vet this morning because I'm really worried about him--he only weighs 14-lbs. Poor little pup. The vet was concerned too. His temp is low and his gums are pale. She did some blood work and gave him a shot for the vomiting. But boy, he is really low. Normally, Tiki is pretty spunky and happy. Now he doesn't even want to get up. The vet put him on Flagyl just in case he has a parasite, although his fecal was negative.

I'm hoping he bounces back soon. If not, we may end up at the emergency vet this weekend. :(

Hope Tiki feels better soon. Prayers and good thoughts going out.

Poor baby :guilty: ... I hope Tiki feels better soon :hug: ... Sending thoughts and prayers his way :flower3: ...

That doesn't sound good. :guilty: Is he able to take fliuds? Lick a popsicle?

Prayers said for Tiki. Hope he's ok. :worried:

That doesn't sound good. :guilty: Is he able to take fliuds? Lick a popsicle?

Prayers said for Tiki. Hope he's ok. :worried:

I've given him some ice cubes to like, which he likes a lot. The vet gave him 100cc of sub-q lactated ringers, so I'm less worried about dehydration now.

Try giving him rice to settle his stomach. That was recommended to us by a vet

Yeah, the vet recommended some chicken and rice for the next several days. I'm going to go start simmering his chicken breast in a bit. She doesn't want him to eat until around 6-7pm.

make ice cubes out of pedialite. One of my dogs had Parvo once and that was the only way I could get fluids in him, couldnt drink water and keep it down but licking ice cubes kept him hydrated.

Well, I got him to drink some water and eat about 1/4 cup of the chicken & rice mix. No further vomiting., at least, and he is peeing small amounts.

Ditto on the pancreatitis test. Has he eaten anything he shouldn't have lately, like high fat, human food?

Did you get the results of the bloodwork or did she have to send it out?

Also, ask for Cerenia for vomiting/nausea and maybe a B12 injection. You can do that yourself--it is very easy. I give them to my cat. I hope Tiki is better ASAP!

Did vet check for pancreatitis? Praying for your pup.

Ditto on the pancreatitis test. Has he eaten anything he shouldn't have lately, like high fat, human food?

Did you get the results of the bloodwork or did she have to send it out?

Also, ask for Cerenia for vomiting/nausea and maybe a B12 injection. You can do that yourself--it is very easy. I give them to my cat. I hope Tiki is better ASAP!

Yes, she did a complete blood panel in case it's pancreatitis. And she gave him a shot of Cerenia while we were there. We don't feed him much human food. Maybe a dab here and there. I think he had a teaspoon of chicken and noodles earlier this week. He's not very food driven. He does eat some PB, maybe once a day. I put a very small amount in his Kong toy when we go out. The one thing I'm concerned about is that recently DH gave him some bones--a long rib bone and a round ham bone like comes out of a ham steak. He doesn't eat the bone, just chews on it. The vet told me no more bones. We dont' give him rawhide or dog biscuits. The occasional tiny bit of Puperoni.

Tiki is a little more active now. He's had a couple of soft-to-loose stools this evening, but otherwise okay. He's walking around more now and asking to go outside now and then.

Well, here we are at the emergency vet. Tiki has vomited 5 times since 11pm and now he has diarrhea. He's lethargic and rather pitiful. Won't drink water at all. Ugh. I hate when my doggy is sick.

I was going to say last night - with vomiting and/or diarrhea (which German Shepherds tend to have a lot of, so I've been dealing with it forever) our vet always has us keep the dog NPO (nothing by mouth for those non-medial folks) except water for 24 hours. The reason for this is that the GI track, as evidenced by the vomiting and diarrhea, is likely inflamed and not working correctly; it can't absorb or move food very well, etc. (all the things a functional GI tract does), so the food comes back up. If it's run-of-the-mill vomiting and diarrhea, once the inflammation subsides a bit (after 24 hrs) then you can introduce a very small amount at a time of broth, rice, cottage cheese, chicken or hamburger, if the pet feels like eating it, and increase it over the next few days. This is pretty standard. Many people don't realize this and often the vomiting and diarrhea continues as food simply can't be tolerated by an inflamed GI system. In children, it's a little different - they can tell us they aren't hungry or that food is making them feel sick. Dogs will often keep eating, lol. (Not blaming you, Minky, just putting this out there as a general FYI.) Of course if there's a bigger problem like a blockage or an intussusception, then that's a different matter altogether. Keeping you guys in my thoughts today!

Well, here we are at the emergency vet. Tiki has vomited 5 times since 11pm and now he has diarrhea. He's lethargic and rather pitiful. Won't drink water at all. Ugh. I hate when my doggy is sick.

Oh crud.

Hope they figure out what is wrong soon!

Okay, the xrays are clear, thank goodness. The vet thinks its prolly pancreatitis. He's giving Tiki some fluids, plus a shot of something for pain & nausea and a shot of antibiotic. We didn't do any labs since he just had them drawn yesterday. I just want to take Tiki home and let him sleep this off.

Okay, the xrays are clear, thank goodness. The vet thinks its prolly pancreatitis. He's giving Tiki some fluids, plus a shot of something for pain & nausea and a shot of antibiotic. We didn't do any labs since he just had them drawn yesterday. I just want to take Tiki home and let him sleep this off.

Awe, poor pup! :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter