Pool use? When to declare DS potty trained

jodifla

WDW lover since 1972
DS is now 3 1/2 and in the process of being potty trained. My question to you more experienced parents is, when do you declare them trained? When they've been dry/clean a week, month, two months?

Our next cruise isn't slated until next May, so I'm hopeful we'll be all done by then! ;) On our last cruise, he wasn't trained yet (before he turned 3) so we had to work around the pool issue. Luckily for us, our 3-day Bahamas cruise turned into a 4-day Mexican cruise because of Hurricane Jeanne, so we were able to do all day in a pool at one of the beachside clubs in Cozumel. That satisfied his pool lust.

It sounds like you guys are doing great. This is a subject that's completely subjective...

That said, and since you asked for opinions, with my first DD, I considered her PTed when I didn't worry anymore about her having accidents. What I mean is, I could run to the grocery store, and not worry about her having an accident. Or I could take her for a car ride, and not live in fear.

Yes, they'll have accidents on and off for awhile, but that's what accidents are.

I hope that makes sense. JMHO...

My youngest was offically potty trained when he decided he wanted his bike. He never once had an accident after getting it. Of course only big boys have bikes and only big boys stop making accidents. That was 8 years aog. He is 10 now.

I do not know when or how you can tell. All I know is this is how we finally got E from having accidents. Before I am blasted, to make the story short this is the easiest way to put it. Even our doctor was amazed at my stradegy. He loved it.

Its going to depend on the kid. For a lot of them its a light....they have accidents every day - that isn't potty trained, and then one day they stop. And they don't have accidents. At that point they are trained. Other kids will do fine for a week then backslide and have a couple of off days.

I think you'll know whether you can be confident of no accidents in the pool to declare him trained. If he still has occational accidents when he gets busy or distracted, you'll just want to make sure he uses the potty before swimming and being dropped off in the kids clubs.

Pool accidents are the worse too. Last October it seemed every day the Mickey pool had to be closed due to floaties. The Goofy pool was even closed one day.

I was posting on another thread, that I think they'd be better off requiring anyone under 4 to be in some sort of rubber pants/swim diaper. That's more practical than the pool rules now on boats, and it's once public pools use up here in Michigan.

jodifla said:
I was posting on another thread, that I think they'd be better off requiring anyone under 4 to be in some sort of rubber pants/swim diaper. That's more practical than the pool rules now on boats, and it's once public pools use up here in Michigan.

That is incredibly insulting to kids who truly are potty trained. My son would not understand at all and would burst into tears if he were to be made to wear a swim diaper again. He was fully potty trained at 2 1/2.

And to answer the OP - everyone has already stated how it happens, you just suddenly notice that they haven't had an accident in a long time during the day.

When summer came this year my son started having accidents during the day again and we figured out that it was because he was out on the playground and did not want to take the time out to go in and go. Now that has stopped too. Now his bladder has matured to the point where he can hold it and wait and knows to go as a precaution - i.e. before long car rides, etc.

jodifla said:

You've got to be kidding me. My 4 year old has been potty trained since 3 years old and has never had an accident during the day or at night. She was potty trained at night from the beginning.

Personally, I think, they should make people over 50 wear swim diapers too! JMHO... They have weak bladders too...

I don't know how you "declare" it, I know some parenting magazine stated that a child is officially potty trained when they've gone 6 months without an accident.

For kids club purposes, they need to be able to go in by themselves, and clean up/wash hands on their own afterwards.

Karen

OurDogCisco said:
You've got to be kidding me. My 4 year old has been potty trained since 3 years old and has never had an accident during the day or at night. She was potty trained at night from the beginning.

Personally, I think, they should make people over 50 wear swim diapers too! JMHO... They have weak bladders too...

Uh, no, I'm not kidding you. You can see by the previous posters that kids have accidents when they are excited.

And Castlegazer, you said it yourself: Your DS started having accidents after he was potty trained. Who's to say that's not what happened to the previous poster's experience of having the Mickey pool closed all the time?

I said he had accidents, I did not say he had poop accidents. He never had poop accidents after he was what I would call fully trained. And while I was training him to go #2 on the potty and I wasn't sure he would not have an accident, he would wear a swim diaper in the pool.

Its just insulting to say that one child has to wear swim diapers because other children aren't really trained.

So I guess it comes down to your original question - when do you know when they are fully trained? Well, its been three months since my son has had a #1 accident, and at least 6 months since he has had a #2 accident. I am going to say he is fully trained. Their bladders have to be mature enough to be able to hold it in if they have to go. This happens at differing stages for children. I know its happened for my son, who by the way is 3 and three months old, because he has shown me that he can hold it for extended periods of time and we no longer have to run for the bathroom.

castlegazer said:
I said he had accidents, I did not say he had poop accidents. He never had poop accidents after he was what I would call fully trained. And while I was training him to go #2 on the potty and I wasn't sure he would not have an accident, he would wear a swim diaper in the pool.

Its just insulting to say that one child has to wear swim diapers because other children aren't really trained.

So I guess it comes down to your original question - when do you know when they are fully trained? Well, its been three months since my son has had a #1 accident, and at least 6 months since he has had a #2 accident. I am going to say he is fully trained. Their bladders have to be mature enough to be able to hold it in if they have to go. This happens at differing stages for children. I know its happened for my son, who by the way is 3 and three months old, because he has shown me that he can hold it for extended periods of time and we no longer have to run for the bathroom.

I actually only thought of that because I see it being required up here in Michigan. (In Florida, several places had under all 3s in swim diapers.) And it seems like it would cut down on some of the Mickey pool problems, since they seem to be chronic on board.

It's my understanding that that don't even let those in swim diapers in the pool, creating situations where parents send their kids in and hope for the best. I guess it's hard to know how many of those kids truly aren't trained, or are just so overwhelmed and excited that they have an accident when they haven't had one for months before.

Anyway, I'm still new to the potty training game, so I'm asking for others input/ideas.

jodifla said:
Uh, no, I'm not kidding you. You can see by the previous posters that kids have accidents when they are excited.

And Castlegazer, you said it yourself: Your DS started having accidents after he was potty trained. Who's to say that's not what happened to the previous poster's experience of having the Mickey pool closed all the time?

Obviously, you don't own a pool. A pool does not get closed because of pee accidents. They do get closed for poo accidents. Pee is actually very clean compared to poo.

I've been on two Disney cruises and the pool never closed for us. We did a 7 day and a 3 day. I know the pool was cleaned at the end of each day.

If you really believe what you stated then, the same must apply for people over the age of 50 because they have the same issues. Weak bladders... So your arguement states that because we can't guarantee that all 4 years olds are trained then, all should wear swim diapers. Well, then, the same would apply to adults. I'm sure you have heard of depends!

The CDC doesn't consider swim diapers or rubber pants sufficient precaution in a pool on a cruise ship. Cruise ships have different and more strigent rules. And not all kids are potty trained by their fourth bithday - I have a girlfriend whose daughter was close to five. And of course there are incontinant (both urine and feces) older children and adult.

OurDogCisco said:
Obviously, you don't own a pool. A pool does not get closed because of pee accidents. They do get closed for poo accidents. Pee is actually very clean compared to poo.

I've been on two Disney cruises and the pool never closed for us. We did a 7 day and a 3 day. I know the pool was cleaned at the end of each day.

If you really believe what you stated then, the same must apply for people over the age of 50 because they have the same issues. Weak bladders... So your arguement states that because we can't guarantee that all 4 years olds are trained then, all should wear swim diapers. Well, then, the same would apply to adults. I'm sure you have heard of depends!

Actually, I grew up owning a pool, but it wasn't open to the public so it didn't really matter. re: health regulations and closing the pool. When little kids came over, I don't think we gave it a second thought.

So, why is the pool closed so much then because of accidents? Are the parents just lying abou the kids being trained, or do the kids just get excited?

And what would you do faced with the requirement of the local water park?

jodifla said:
Actually, I grew up owning a pool, but it wasn't open to the public so it didn't really matter. re: health regulations and closing the pool. When little kids came over, I don't think we gave it a second thought.

So, why is the pool closed so much then because of accidents? Are the parents just lying abou the kids being trained, or do the kids just get excited?

And what would you do faced with the requirement of the local water park?

I know, Disney or cruise lines in general do not have the filteration systems that most local parks and hotels have. That is why the rule is stricter on cruiselines. The above poster mentioned that as well. But you also have to realize swim diapers do not make the situation any better because of how the cruiselines filter the water, etc.. I guess, the key would be if the child poops or pee in their swim diaper the parent needs to immediately take the child out of the pool to change their diaper!

As I mentioned before, the pool never closed on our our two cruises. When I did cruise last May with my non-potty trained 2 year old (almost 3 years old). She hung out in the designated Mickey's ear part of the pool. Personally, I didn't want to get in the Mickey pool with all the kids and she was fine in that section of the pool. My guess, is that most parents lie... But I don't believe your solution in requiring all under 4 year olds to wear swim diapers in the soluation. For one my 4 year old now looks like she is 2 years old. She only ways 28 lbs. So, it would be a very difficult rule to enforce. Personally, I think, Disney should have a better filter, etc... so, that the kids could just swim in the pool with diaper like they do at public and hotel pools.

OurDogCisco said:
I know, Disney or cruise lines in general do not have the filteration systems that most local parks and hotels have. That is why the rule is stricter on cruiselines. The above poster mentioned that as well. But you also have to realize swim diapers do not make the situation any better because of how the cruiselines filter the water, etc.. I guess, the key would be if the child poops or pee in their swim diaper the parent needs to immediately take the child out of the pool to change their diaper!

As I mentioned before, the pool never closed on our our two cruises. When I did cruise last May with my non-potty trained 2 year old (almost 3 years old). She hung out in the designated Mickey's ear part of the pool. Personally, I didn't want to get in the Mickey pool with all the kids and she was fine in that section of the pool. My guess, is that most parents lie... But I don't believe your solution in requiring all under 4 year olds to wear swim diapers in the soluation. For one my 4 year old now looks like she is 2 years old. She only ways 28 lbs. So, it would be a very difficult rule to enforce. Personally, I think, Disney should have a better filter, etc... so, that the kids could just swim in the pool with diaper like they do at public and hotel pools.

Yes, that would be a very good idea. It's a shame younger kids can't use the pool. Of course, that's not Disney's rule. It's a government rule. When DCL first came out, everyone could be in the pool.

If you are talking about the pool, I think it would be when he can control bowel movements. Urine in the pool, while sounds gross, isn't particularly dangerous, feces is.

For the clubs, I've heard that children are responsible for meeting their own restroom needs with minimal help and supervision.

The only time the pool closed on either of our cruises was due to a child vomiting in the pool.

Swim diapers do not hold urine in like regular diapers. That is why they don't absorb the water & swell up. Also, if you required every child 4 and under to wear a swim diaper, there is no way that they would all fit in the fountain ear of the Mickey pool.

lbgraves said:
The only time the pool closed on either of our cruises was due to a child vomiting in the pool.

Swim diapers do not hold urine in like regular diapers. That is why they don't absorb the water & swell up. Also, if you required every child 4 and under to wear a swim diaper, there is no way that they would all fit in the fountain ear of the Mickey pool.

I was thinking more along the lines of having the kids wear swim diapers, but letting them have free run of the Mickey pool. That's how it used to be. The ear was retrofitted after the government decided to bar swim diapers from pools, reasoning that if it barred swim diapers, it would also keep out all the non toilet trained kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter