Pool Hopping - How do you know?

dhudson1

Mouseketeer
How do you know if pool hopping is allowed when you go? We are going in July, and would like to give Stormalong Bay a try.

Darryl

The only time Stormalong Bay has been off-limits to DVC members is the two weeks surrounding Easter.

You're supposed to call before you go. I'm not sure if you call the front desk of where you are staying or where you want to go.

Dean

I am sure that calling is an excellent idea during the busy seasons but exactly how many castmembers do you think would actually know what the heck poolhopping even is when it comes to the DVC?

During President's week at the BW, I asked guest services if they were overcrowded at the Y + B, for the pool hopping. She was new and had never heard about calling over. She called the Y + B's guest services and they had never heard of calling over either, so our kids just went over with their room key just in case.

hi: since we're usually at the bwv, it's just a short walk around the lake to stormalong bay. the kids take their room keys and don't have any problems.

baileybrad, officially, you are supposed to call the front desk the day in question to see if pool hopping is permitted. I think it's the DVC desk and not the destination resort you call but am not certain. That's the official policy that came out this past year. You point that they may not know and give you erroneous info is well founded. As noted, the only closures have been Stormalong Bay during the 2 weeks of easter. It's looking like AKL is shaky as well.

Dean

Dean wrote:<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It's looking like AKL is shaky as well.[/quote]
Dean: What is the basis of this statement? Is it just the speculation on this board (based on the access rules at AKL)? Or have DVC Member Services CMs warned members not to expect pool hopping? Or has there been any official DVC write-up?

-----
Werner Weiss, Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

When we were at OKW in January, there was a note in the "what's happening" flyer they give at check in that said pool-hopping was available...

We typically stay at OKW during August or Thanksgiving week and have never been denied access to the Beach/Yacht pool. Just show up with your DVC room keys with anticipation in your eyes and I'm sure you'll be allowed. We once went on a day when it was very crowded and they were seriously checking i.d.s, but we just showed them our OKW room key and got right in.

The OKW front dest has gotten pretty good at either knowing which pools are closed (if any) or knowing who to call. If someone needs to be called, the OKW desk would do it for you. Not sure about BWV. :)

There is a thread on the Resorts Board about the AKL by someone who will be checking into a Concierge Level room on opening day. She has been contacted by the concierge and is posting a LOT of information she has received through him. She has asked him about DVC pool-hopping and was told that it wasn't going happen at AKL.

We got a printed list the last time we checked in. It had within it pool hopping information.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It's looking like AKL is shaky as well. [/quote]
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What is the basis of this statement? Is it just the speculation on this board (based on the access rules at AKL)? Or have DVC Member Services CMs warned members not to expect pool hopping? Or has there been any official [/quote]
Sorry Werner, read it as my interpretation, no more and no less. The clues that I am looking at are the scaled back DVC plans for off property, the slow sales at VB and HH, the 2042 deadline and the fact that there are no reliable rumours to the contrary. We can argue the points individually or as a group but that's my take on it. Contrary to some opinions, I see DVC posturing to get out of the Timeshare business in 2042 or at least give themselves the option to do so. Regardless, I think we're either at or real close to the wall on building resorts that finish in 2042. I'd put that wall at an absolute of 30 years which would likely give enough time for one more add on such as the WLV and BCV. The resort would need to be finished, sold out and turned over completely by the 30 years. Assuming that a similar resort to the current ones would be 2 years behind BCV and would take 2-4 years to sell out depending on size, competion, economy; that would just give about enough time to get this done. Again my opinion, no more and no less, take it for what it's worth, not even the "paper" it's written on.

Dean

Dean,
Have you read the speculation on these boards about DVC II with an extended ending date? Is there a long term profitability problem with DVC? I would expect just the opposite...that they are looking for ways to extend the franchise, even if not off-site.

I have read the speculation about a possible "DVC II" but I have seen or heard nothing that has come from Disney that would suggest this. I believe this is simply speculation or possibly wishfull thinking. If you go back adn read those posts, I don't think you'll see any shred of direct DVC link to the idea. As I've previously noted, there is no reason for a DVC II. All DVC has to do is include another resort(s) in the current DVC and then have the club continue after 2042. All of the current resorts would fall out in 2042 and the rest would remain. Quite a simple matter really.

The profitability is in the building and selling, not in ongoing management which is frequently a headache. I bet even DVC doesn't know absolutely what will happen in 10 years or 41 but the people that have a better handle on this aren't talking. The rest of us are stuck with rumor, supposition and guesswork. But, I'd be willing to take bets on any new resorts announced after 2005 or started building after 2007. I'll add that to my list of bets that say that BC will have higher points than WLV or BWV. For what it's worth.

Dean

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter