Pool area fenced in

Discussion in 'DVC-Mousecellaneous' started by zorro77, Sep 24, 2013.

1. zorro77

zorro77 DVC Member Since 93

Just read a note that all Pool areas will be fenced in by Nov 1st. Has anyone heard if guest will still be able to sit by tables after 11pm. Since 93 we have spent many a nights just sitting out talking with a drink and since there is a smoking corner we all could be together. Anyone have thoughts or no more.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. com_op_2000

com_op_2000 DVC Member since '93

I can think of two reasons for this:
    Safety - keeping young kids out of the pool areas without needing a someone tall enough to open the gate.
    Privacy - if they are installing card readers at each gate (such as at VB) so that people not staying at the resort or allowed to pool hop can not access those pools.

4. Simba's Mom

Simba's Mom <font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha

That sounds like the reasons. I never thought of it before, but at Jambo, for example, if you're just outside walking, your kids could run off and jump in the pool. And if they couldn't swim....My guess is that as long as you have your room key (or Magic Band), you can access the pool 24 hours a day.

5. erionm

erionm DIS Veteran

What's being posted on another board is that there will be NO pool access from 11 PM to 7 AM.

6. DeeCee735

DeeCee735 "How Do You Know of the Key?"

Good idea. I like it. It will help with enforcing pool hopping rules and keep from over crowding. Personally we never pool hope. We've always been happy with the pools at whatever resort we stay at and particularly love the slide at the BW pool (not the clown, just the slide :rotfl2:)

7. zorro77

zorro77 DVC Member Since 93

Thanks for the reply. I know about the safety issues and can total understand the risk of open pool areas. My question is will there still be areas to sit outside after the 11pm time. Yes it is late but sometimes that when we get a break from the other in our group and being on the deck with other sleeping can be difficult. Safety should always be a concern.

8. wiigirl

wiigirl DIS Veteran

No more midnight swims... :P

9. com_op_2000

com_op_2000 DVC Member since '93

What pool do you "hope" for?

10. erionm

erionm DIS Veteran

Unknown. From what I've seen on the other board, this information isn't even widely known within Disney.

11. dianeschlicht

dianeschlicht <font color=blue>DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Hon

I think this is not only a much needed but much welcome change. Sure, it would be nice to sit out by the pool after 11:00, but for those in the villas near those 'quiet' pools, it's nice to know there won't be large loud groups after 11:00. I can think of one area in particular this is an issue....Turtle Pond pool at OKW!:thumbsup2

12. rigsby25

rigsby25 DIS Veteran

I think people can just go to Downtown Disney, hop on a bus, hop off with their swimsuit and help themselves. I think the pools will be less crowded if they are gated. But as I found out in Vero Beach, there are people who just piggy back or tail gate their way in.

13. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

It's a state law that public pools must be fenced. Disney has just gotten by for a long time. And with the drowning (or near-drowning) at POP (or one of the other value resorts), plus problems on the ships, their lawyers probably thought it was the best thing to do.

14. Lil' Grumpy

Lil' Grumpy <font color=purple>Lil' Grumpy is really a Big Swe

i agree that it 's more about control than safety....after
    reading so many posts, dvc & resorts threads...how
    many locals are constantly using dvc pools /buses.

& then bragging on the internet locations. also preventing
    them from being sue when...sooner /later ...if
    an encounter lead to a conflict resulting in injuries.
    ( guests vs intruders). like those @ the poly beach
    "borrowing" the chairs.

taking away the free vacations.

i think the piggy-backing will be harder because more & more
    are aware from reading about it on the internet.

15. sweetdana

sweetdana DIS Veteran

At SAB now, and they don't have readers for mb. I bet it will cut down on staff if locked off. Though with beaches n cream, this might be tough .

We needed out room keys to use pool mb didn't work.

16. MSUmom

MSUmom MSU mom

There was a child that died last fall (?) in one of the resort pools after hours. He was with his family but they didn't notice at first. The lifeguards were already gone about 20 minutes.

I think it is Disney covering their ****.

17. ParrotBill

ParrotBill Yo ho, yo ho, a parrot's life for me

There is now way they will get the pools all fenced by November 1 but the new policy to close the pools may go into effect.

Once fenced, you will NOT be able to sit out at tables if they are inside the fence.

I find this a sad end to a long standing tradition of pools open 24 hours.

18. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

That's five weeks. They can do it easily. And they can always use temporary fencing like they use for the marathons. And like they have a BWV-Luna Park from time to time.

19. princessvacg

princessvacg Mouseketeer

WE so love to swim when we get back from the parks!! Very disappointing there if they completely close them. I can understand them fencing the pools in as there are always "pool jumpers" at the AKV pool! But I do not think closing the pools at 11 is at all a great idea at all!!

20. erionm

erionm DIS Veteran

WDWMagic.com is reporting that this will not affect the quite pools.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/wal...resort-hotel-feature-pool-operating-hours.htm

21. dianeschlicht

dianeschlicht <font color=blue>DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Hon