Ponchos in summer heat?

KSR0330

DIS Veteran
With the Florida summer heat, I can't imagine wearing a plastic poncho when it rains. Does anyone bring small umbrellas instead during the summer?

People do use umbrellas, ponchos are just easier for most here it seems and are less bulky in crowds. If you take an umbrella, you can use it for shade as well. The drawback to an umbrella is that it doesnt always rain straight up and down so it may not have as much protection. I'm going the safe route and bringing both. Disposable ponchos don't take up much space and I'll probably need the shade from the umbrella at some point.

Neither. I can't stand disposable plastic ponchos, and I don't feel safe in a crowd with an umbrella, plus I like having my hands free. I love my "real" poncho that I got from Ikea. None of that sticky feeling from the humidity + condensation in the non-breathing plastic, and more protection than an umbrella (as @EvilQueen2018 mentioned, the rain is often going sideways in the summer downpours!).

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60283421/ - this is the much newer version of what I'm talking about, mine is just a basic cut poncho that goes in it's own pouch, none of the fancy shaping on that one.

Neither. I can't stand disposable plastic ponchos, and I don't feel safe in a crowd with an umbrella, plus I like having my hands free.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60283421/ - this is the much newer version of what I'm talking about, mine is just a basic cut poncho that goes in it's own pouch, none of the fancy shaping on that one.

I like hands free too. I was going the embarrassing mom route and getting an umbrella hat.

I did not realize ponchos were so cheap. There are 6 of us and thats about the cost I had planned to spend on disposables for each person. Not having that thin plastic sticking to my sweaty, sticky self is a plus. I think we are now going with longer lasting ponchos made from stronger material than drycleaning covers. Thanks!

Have you considered what's under the poncho's? Is there something we can do there to improve ventilation?

We pack two SMALL umbrellas. We used to use the ponchos, but like you said, they do not breath well at all. We get so hot & sweaty and the hood interferes with your peripheral vision. Its so much more comfortable with the SMALL umbrellas. You just have to be mindful of those around you so you don't hit anyone. We've used them the last two years and we've not had any issues. The crowd tends to thin out a little bit in the rain sometimes.

Thanks for the input, everyone! I can imagine that in crowds, umbrellas would probably be challenging, and wouldn't help with the sideways rain!

Neither. I can't stand disposable plastic ponchos, and I don't feel safe in a crowd with an umbrella, plus I like having my hands free. I love my "real" poncho that I got from Ikea. None of that sticky feeling from the humidity + condensation in the non-breathing plastic, and more protection than an umbrella (as @EvilQueen2018 mentioned, the rain is often going sideways in the summer downpours!).

I like the idea of the less plastic ponchos, so I found these on Amazon. Similar to yours I think, jenniy. Thanks for the tip!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G95WOWQ/ref=crt_ewc_img_srh_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1VAOWZNDCV6C6

To be honest, sometimes we do opt for simply getting wet.

It's Florida in July; it's not like we're wet for long.

And I wear Teva Mush flip flops in the park; they're dry in no time at all. My husband and son prefer sneakers. If they get too uncomfortable, it's easy enough to get back to the resort for a change.

But we tend to miss most of the late afternoon rain anyway; we spend the afternoons in the pool or napping. The one big exception was in 2008, when Tropical Storm Faye arrived on our departure day-- we got a LOT of rain as she approached.

But still had a GREAT time.

To be honest, sometimes we do opt for simply getting wet.

I thought of that option, too!

When we were there in Feb of last year, we had the plastic ponchos and we got such a downpour while at MK that we were all happy to have them. It was fine to wear plastic around because it was cool out. I can't imagine doing it in August, though! I'm hoping this will be a bit more comfortable in the heat!

Umbrellas aren't really a good solution for a several reasons:
  • The pointy ends of the deployed umbrella are dangerous since they at eye level of others.
  • When a summer thunder storm passes through it is usually accompanied by strong winds which will destroy an umbrella
  • Open umbrellas impede the view of others when at parades and stage shows

I don't think any parade or outdoor show will go on in the rain. I don't think that point is correct. Others are correct though

One thing to consider...last MNSSHP we had a continuous drizzle and the parades, meet and greets, and some shows (castle projection and fireworks) did go on. And there was lots of waiting with no where to sit. Silly me didn't bring ponchos, just raincoats, so there was no plastic to cover up the wet ground/curb. This did not make for a happy night. That was a poncho benefit I hadn't thought of before.

Ponchos cover more when it rains. They are even better with a baseball cap. Especially,if you wear glasses. We've tried small umbrellas too. In Florida, it's more of a torrential downpour, than a passing shower. Then, it's gone and the sun comes out. We have run through World Showcase with the water being over our ankles! Thank goodness Mexico had Margaritas to help us through it! Lol

I like ponchos for a couple of reasons, I take a couple of them with me, one to wear when it rains
and the other, to sit on the wet sidewalk or wall to watch the parade after the rain..Ponchos
don't take up much room and they do pad my bag for me to sit on it as well....:daisy:

I like a small umbrella. I have very thick hair so am too hot in a hat, and use the umbrella to keep the sun off. I'm very aware of others as I walk around so I don't hurt anyone with it, and I make sure I am not blocking anyone's view.

We've decided just to get wet. Last August we found the ponchos made it feel hotter/more humid, so we ended up skipping them after that day and just getting wet. Felt much better :)

There are some breathable rain jackets on the market that are much, much better than plastic or vinyl and a lot cooler than gore-tex. I've got one Columbia, one North Face, one Target and two of the granddaddy of all breathable rain jackets, PacTech. Look for Omni Tech or Hydro Tech or similar in the name or just "breathable rain jacket"

With the Florida summer heat, I can't imagine wearing a plastic poncho when it rains. Does anyone bring small umbrellas instead during the summer?

I bring umbrellas and they help with the really hot and sunny days as well. Disney also sells umbrellas but they are not worth it and will break with a mild wind. I should have taken a photo but epcot sold hundreds of umbrellas on sunday and every 5th or 6th person was using it for shade. so damn hot right now.

I hate ponchos unless I'm hiking and I have a lot of things I need to protect from the rain and can fit under it with me. I find it to be a greenhouse when using them for disney and I'm drenched in sweat instead of washed off and soaked from rain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter