Polynesian or Grand Floridian at Christmas?

fterie4u

DIS Veteran
Hi! We are looking to book our first Christmas trip to Disney and think we have it narrowed down to the Polynesian CL or the Grand Floridian CL (sugar loaf). We typically stay at the Epcot resorts so this will be new for us! Our daughter will be 11 and son will be 3. We think staying on the monorail willl work out great.
Both resorts seem great just can't seem to decide, which would you recommend overall?

Thank you!

It truly depends on what you are looking for. If you want a storybook Christmas experience, then Grand Floridian is a no brainer. For park transportation options, the nod goes to the Polynesian. Would it help to know that Grand Floridian is more Mary Poppins and Winnie the Pooh while Polynesian is more Stitch (in general feel)? The rooms at the GF are bright and upscale. The rooms at the Poly are large and dark.

Oh, I forgot to mention that my home resort is VGF and I am partial to the Grand Floridian.

Ooh. I've never stayed at either, but I can tell you that Grand Floridian looks lovely all done up for Christmas. So very pretty. My sister stayed there a few years back and absolutely loved it, and we were impressed by the room when we popped in for a visit. I've just never been able to justify the expense.... :P But for simple visual appeal, Grand Floridian can't be beat.

We love Animal Kingdom Lodge and are trying Wilderness Lodge for the first time a bit later this year. Both of those are gorgeous to begin with, and are beyond lovely when decorated for the holidays. But neither of those are on your short list, so that doesn't help you. :)

The Polynesian probably does give you the best/easiest access to transportation.

Really, it's a matter of what you prioritize. Would you be happier in the darker/woody-er rooms at the Polynesian? Would you be happier wandering around the grounds, soaking in the Hawaiian-esque theming? Or would you prefer the brighter, more Floridian color palette of Grand Floridian? Would you enjoy the restaurants at one over the other? I don't know how you vacation (what/where you eat, whether you look to spend a good deal of downtime or go go go!, how much time you'll spend at the resort, whether the pool/slide matters at all.... etc). But if you think about what matters to you on your trip, you'll probably come to a natural conclusion... :)

We've stayed at the GF right after Christmas, albeit many years ago. And we are staying at the Polynesian right before Christmas this year.

The decorations at the GF are beautiful. It feels very Victorian and a bit more "regal". I loved it. But, I have a 4 year old DS now and the Poly is better for him and his interests at this age. It's definitely more laid back.

Regardless, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

Hi! We are looking to book our first Christmas trip to Disney and think we have it narrowed down to the Polynesian CL or the Grand Floridian CL (sugar loaf). We typically stay at the Epcot resorts so this will be new for us! Our daughter will be 11 and son will be 3. We think staying on the monorail willl work out great.
Both resorts seem great just can't seem to decide, which would you recommend overall?

Thank you!

My choice would be Poly CL. We've never stayed CL at the Poly but have stayed SL at the GF and while I'm glad we tried it, I wasn't impressed. I like spending time in the lounge and the SL lounge just wasn't very relaxing to me. Since the lounge is located in the lobby as you enter the SL building, there are no windows/views. The Poly lounge, however, has an amazing view (this I know only from other people's reports/pics). The GF lobby has better holiday decorations (IMO), but SL is an outer building, so I would stay at the Poly and visit the GF. Good luck and happy planning :wizard:.

If you are looking for amazing Christmas decorations, I would do GF. Both resorts are great, but the GF decorations are out of this world. GF also offers more amenities (more restaurants, shops, etc.) Although I love the theming at Poly, I find the food choices at GF to be far better.

My choice would be Poly CL. We've never stayed CL at the Poly but have stayed SL at the GF and while I'm glad we tried it, I wasn't impressed. I like spending time in the lounge and the SL lounge just wasn't very relaxing to me. Since the lounge is located in the lobby as you enter the SL building, there are no windows/views. The Poly lounge, however, has an amazing view (this I know only from other people's reports/pics). The GF lobby has better holiday decorations (IMO), but SL is an outer building, so I would stay at the Poly and visit the GF. Good luck and happy planning :wizard:.

That is a really good point. If the Poly CL room is nicer, more relaxing that would be something we would think about.

The best trip we ever took was Christmas at the Grand Floridian. Our daughter was 3.5, and she loved it. She still talks about that trip, and the GF, 2 years later. It is absolutely exquisite at Christmas. The decorations are beautiful, the gingerbread house is awesome, the Christmas lights are spectacular, being able to see the castle lit up with the lights is magical, listening to the orchestra play Christmas carols in the evenings outside of Mizners is perfection, EVERYTHING about the Grand at Christmas is PERFECTION. The atmosphere is pure magic. The grounds are beautiful.

We cannot wait to go back at Christmas to the Grand Floridian. We've stayed at the Poly, and visited the resort during Christmas, and there's just no comparison to the GF at Christmas.

I personally don't think CL is worth the cost at any WDW resort, compared to what you get at other resorts on the club level. But even if Poly CL is better than SL, at Christmas, you can't beat the GF. If you were going any other time of year, and thought you'd really use the club amenities, and poly club is that much better, sure. But not at Christmas!!!!

Last edited:
That is a really good point. If the Poly CL room is nicer, more relaxing that would be something we would think about.

Both resorts are beautiful, but if you will be spending time in the lounge, I think the Poly would be more relaxing/enjoyable (just my opinion). It also has an amazing view of the castle/fireworks :cloud9:.

Both resorts are beautiful, but if you will be spending time in the lounge, I think the Poly would be more relaxing/enjoyable (just my opinion). It also has an amazing view of the castle/fireworks :cloud9:.

Oh, phew, we are booked at the Poly over xmas 2017, and I was thinking there are no votes for it!

IMO: For the rooms we favor Poly, for the Christmas decorations the GF, for the restaurants it is a push. There is no wrong answer. Have a great trip!

So the lounge and the food are better at the Poly than SL at the Grand?

Oh, phew, we are booked at the Poly over xmas 2017, and I was thinking there are no votes for it!

We love the Poly, I think it's an amazing resort. You will love it! :goodvibes

So the lounge and the food are better at the Poly than SL at the Grand?

I can't compare the food offerings as we've never stayed CL at the Poly, but I would choose Poly CL over GF SL just for the lounge. When we stay CL, the lounge is an important part of our trip as I like relaxing in a nice, comfortable atmosphere, which I don't think SL provides (just my opinion). Good luck :).

Thank you so much for all of the great replies and info! I think we are leaning towards the Poly for the lounge atmosphere. If we could afford RPC then I think it would be an easier decision!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter