Poly or GF for honeymoon?

Chicago526

<font color=red>Any dream will do...<br><font colo
First, let me say tha SPLIT STAYS ARE OUT OF THE QUESTION, DF WON'T CHANGE HOTELS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE VACATION.

There! Now then...

DF and I got back from 8 nights at the Poly last month. We are planning our honeymoon in Oct. 05 for WDW. We LOVED the Poly!

I've always wanted to stay at the GF, BF would rather stay at the Poly but will stay at GF to make me happy. I wasn't that crazy about the rooms at the Poly (the view was perfect and the bath room was nice, but Poly only has double beds, and they aren't that comfortable) but I love the resort itself.

Obviously, we'll have a fantastic time regardless of which hotel we stay at. But which would you choose? For the GF lovers out there, what makes you love it so?

BTW, isn't there an official GF info thread? I can't find it!

Thanks! :wave2:

Skip the GF for your honeymoon and do the AKL..concierge.

It is fantastic, very romantic, ask for a king bed, savannah view. None are guaranteed of course, but they will do their best.

I've said this before ... Poly doesn't compare to GF at all. The only thing they have in common is that they are deluxe resorts. I say GF all the way - lagoon view if you're nuts for the castle. And since you've already stayed at Poly anyway... We had a wonderful, romantic time at GF. JMO

I would say Yacht Club. Dh and I stayed there for our honeymoon in 2000 and got a 1 bedroom suite w/concierge. It was great. And for us, the location was perfect, we walked to Epcot or the Boardwalk for dinner all the time.

But...if you have to decide between Poly and GF, I would say GF.

We actually were debating between GF and Yacht Club for our honeymoon and were very happy with our choice too.

My wife and I stayed in one of the honeymoon turret rooms in the main lodge at the GF. The room was very large and had one king sizedbed. We could see the wedding pavilion out one window and the Castle out another.
The concierge level is on the fourth floor and our room was on the third. If you were in the lobby and looking up at the area where the band plays, our room was above them at to the right. There's a large patio just outside the room. Was not a private patio but no one ever used it all week except us.

For a honeymon trip nothing beats the GF as far as I am concerned!!

We just returned from the GF and it has my vote for your honeymoon. You've already been to the Poly, I agree it is a nice resort, but the GF is something special and the rooms are MUCH nicer at the GF than the Poly.

MOST IMPORTANTLY FOR YOU HONEYMOONERS, HOWEVER--THE BEDS THERE ARE AMAZING! It was the only hotel bed I've ever slept in that is actually more comfortable than my bed at home.

I wouldn't pay for the concierge service for two adults though--but you can't beat GF for a honeymoon. They also have two amazing restaurants (Citrico's and Narcoosee's) that are nice and romantic.

Have a great time!

We split our honeymoon between the GF and AKL. Now I'm not suggesting that to you since you made it clear you don't want to move resorts, but I mentioned it because we loved the GF. Don't get me wrong, AKL is one of our favorite resorts, well mine, my husband likes it but not as much as me, but it simply doesn't compare to the GF. We stayed concierge in both and the GF concierge was much, much better. AKL always had fewer food options and the lounge does not have a view of anything. We did the sunrise safari and were very disappointed so concierge definitely wasn't worth it just for that perk like we had thought. The GF turret room was great, however. Ours faced the monorail (we wanted a lagoon view, but the turret room was more important to us than the view) and that actually turned out to be a neat view. We were much closer to the pool than when we were at AKL so that was nice also. We're headed back in April and haven't picked our resort yet but AKL is one of the contenders so we really do like it, but nothing beats the GF. If it weren't so expensive we'd be staying there again, but hey, it gives us the chance to try out new resorts!

Oh, we're also considering the Poly as I love that resort almost as much as AKL, but I still wouldn't compare it to the GF.

I am going to the Poly this feb w/ 3 kids and am so excited. However, I honeymooned at GF and it was amazing. The other important fact is, it is your honeymoon and it is nice to do something different for that special event (since you already did the poly). You cant go wrong w/ the GF and it would be that much more special because it is your honeymoon, once in a life time. Pay the $$ and get lagoon view. However again......the first room we got (we requestion 1 king thinking that was the romantic thing to do......well the room was tiny and looked over the pool, with kids screaming ect. not very honeymoon like I thought then LOL!!!! That is considered lagoon/water. We married in 90 so the Honeymoon turret rooms mentioned on above post was not there. Soooooo after some tears our amazing bell man made a phone call and we were moved to a different building (can't remember the name) we were facing the lagoon on the 4th floor, they gave us the last room in the hall so it was quiet and we used the stairs to come and go which was so convenient. I can't tell you how amazing the view was.....we were there for July 4th so the firework show on the lagoon was the best one I have ever seen. We got room service a bit and had breakfast on the balcony. dinner there too. Go to Victoria and Alberts for a special night too, you can't beat it for a honeymoon and like I said you already did Poly, do this a different thing to make it that much more special. Congratulations and good luck, enjoy! :wizard:

We stayed at both GF and Poly Concierge for our honeymoon (WL Concierge also) and loved all three. If I had to choose one it would be Poly LV concierge. We had an absolutely amazing view of the castle, the rooms were nice, very quiet and we loved concierge. Our room at the GF was nice and we also loved that resort but we had a LV and it wasn't the greatest...we actually saw more of the monorail than the water. Oh well, it was still very nice. I guess Poly would be my top choice because of the view we had and because we did concierge. If you are not considering concierge, I'd do GF.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'm the type that gets nervous trying new things, I was a reck before staying at the Poly the first time, there had been a slate of bad reviews just before we left! So I was reserching today and thought "Why try something new, you love the Poly!"

But you're right, we've tried the Poly already, and I have always wanted to try the GF. View isn't that important, it was wonderful haveing the view of the Castle at the Poly, but I can live without it. And being on the monorail, we can always visit! :)

We stayed at the Poly concierge LV in august for the first time. It was OK. It had some good points. We then tried the GF concierge in the main building for Thanksgiving and FELL IN LOVE with it! The poly was OK, the rooms were large and OK, but the GF is so classy, but cozy and the rooms are also large, you get cute shampoos/soaps/lotions etc. nicer furniture and beds... the rooms are just so much nicer and fresher overall - the place has a really charming and friendly feel about it. We NEVER thought we would like the GF particularly, but it is now our favorite. Also, you can get rooms with a terrific castle view at the GF.(if that matters on your choice)

We have done all the deluxes except boardwalk (that's next).

I vote Grand Floridian all the way! I also think that if you have done the Poly, you need something extra special for your honeymoon. Good luck with your decision and your new marriage!!

Why not do a split stay? :love: LOL! :cheer2: :earboy2: Sorry, anyways, I am not a fan of the Polly, I find it run-down. Out of your choices, I would take the GF. Otherwise, if you want a fun-style honeymoon, go for the BW. Or The BC... Have fun! :wave:

We stayed at the Poly and GF in October of last year and while the Poly was nice, it just did not compare with the GF. The upscale elegance, the relaxed luxury, those fabulous beds, romantic grounds all spell HONEYMOON! Go GF!

I would say Grand Floridian to choose between the two. We would have loved to have stayed there for our honeymoon! go for it and enjoy!!!

I can't speak for you or your fiance because I don't know your preferences... however, we would probably go for the Polynesian Concierge. We are more laid back, and the Polynesian is too. DH thinks that he wouldn't be comfortable at the Grand Floridian because it is too "grand"!:rolleyes:

I do dream of one day staying in one of those turret rooms at the Grand Floridian overlooking the Magic Kingdom, though... hey, a girl can dream, can't she? :cloud9:

Poly much more romantic!! Much like being in tropical paradise. More "Honeymoonish", too, with great pool theme, beach, aahh...

I've stayed at Poly but not GF, but I would probably pick GF for a honeymoon.

I just got married last March and just wanted to tell you to have a great wedding and honeymoon! Congrats! :love:

Out of the 2 I would choose the GF. Given another option, the Garden Suites at the Boardwalk are so romantic, great jacuzzi tub and huge shower. Very private. So much nicer than the GF in my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter