Poly 6 nights or Wilderness Lodge & nights?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by marshall4539, Apr 13, 2013.

1. scarlett24

scarlett24 Dreamin' of Disney

I would stay at the Poly. Love WL, in the winter. It will be hot in September, and you can pop onto the monorail and be back at the Poly pool in 5-10 mins, with a view of the castle. The boat ride to the WL is nice but a little longer. Also, you can get to Epcot and MK easily via monorail without taking your child out of their stroller. If the smaller boat comes to pick you up at MK or you need to take the bus back from Epcot and your child is asleep in their stroller, you will have to wake them up to fold the stroller up. I always found that to be a huge pain in the neck. Also, the ambiance of the Poly is just amazing and you can watch Wishes from the Poly beach.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Dis703

Dis703 DIS Veteran

I would absolutely go for the extra night. We did Disney with a 2 year old and all buses as we stayed at POFQ. There was a time or two the bus situation was less than desirable, but it wasn't really that bad. You still would have a boat to MK. And even with the Poly you need a bus to AK or HS so that's only one more park with monorail.

Extra day hands down.

4. wide receiver

wide receiver Mouseketeer

WL wins with me! Especially with a 3 year old! I think WL is a great family resort even without the parks! The pool, movies, boats to MK (I know the poly has movies and a cool pool)Â…all the animals around in sculptures and the totem poles! Beautiful hotel for a 3 year old! The buses vs monorail is over-rated to me! Stay the extra day! ::yes::

5. Shell54

Shell54 DIS Veteran

We love the Poly..even with one less day..the convenience and proximity to the MK and TTC plus the WOW factor of the Poly itself is a no brainer IMO

6. yarlenna

yarlenna Mouseketeer

Even if the Poly and Wilderness were same price - I would still want WL. The is my favorite resort. In WL all of the rooms are in ONE building.

7. tink1829

tink1829 Earning My Ears

Oh stay at the poly there is things for children there and u can see the fireworks on the lagoon and watch the light show there every nite on the sand Our grandchildren loved it ! The poly is fantastic !

8. MissionMouse

MissionMouse DIS Veteran

AKL and WL reside at the bottom of ths list of Deluxe resorts. We would easily select the PR. If you say you want transportation but then say you want more days as another factor with buses being OK. Then why do a deluxe at all. You can select a Moderate resort and even stay more days...

9. marshall4539

marshall4539 Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for your input.. We decided to do WL (unless a great fall deal is released).... I know the Poly is great, but I think the WL will work well with my family (and be a bit less busy).... Due to air travel, we lose almost 2 days, so that extra night really makes a difference. We thought about a split stay, but Grandma and /grandpa didn't want the move...

I hope we like WL, I haven't heard as much great stuff about it as Poly, but it seems nice!

10. wide receiver

wide receiver Mouseketeer

We LOVE WL! I love working out, the workout room is great. I rented a bike a couple of the days and road to Fort Wilderness. You can see the same light parade on the lake that you see at the Poly, in the evening they make smores by the lake and show a movie. you can take a boat to MK. You will have a great time! I'm sure the Poly is wonderful too. You really can't go wrong between the two resorts.

11. Polybound

Polybound Mouseketeer

This is an easy one. Poly for 6 nights. Everytime we visit the WL, we always say we'd like to stay there the next time we visit. However, after leaving we think more carefully about it and realize that the WL is unfortunately located just too far from everything. We love the Monorail, so we always gravitate back to the Poly. Unless you're planning to go to Universal, or Sea World, 6 nights 7 days is plenty of time to do everything at Disney including water parks, multiple times. The rooms are nicer and bigger at the Poly. The ceilings in the rooms are taller as well.

12. fizz13

fizz13 <font color=33cc99>Dreams about being stuck on Spa

stayed at both and while they're both lovely, the Polynesian can't be beaten! for location, for the HUGE rooms, for the relaxing tropical vibe, it's just got to be done

13. mamatobbg

mamatobbg Mouseketeer

We stayed at the Poly last May and we were absolutely in love with the ease of transportation--especially to MK. Epcot was very convenient, too!! I've never stayed at WL, but we have stayed at AKL and YC at WDW. The transportation was just so much easier! Our kids were 7, almost 5 and 2 at the time.

However, the extra night at WL throws a wrench in it. Good luck deciding!! I honestly would love to try the WL on our next visit for theming, but I'm not sure myself as I really liked monorail or being able to walk into one of the parks (YC).

14. wiigirl

wiigirl DIS Veteran

So true...the Poly is awesome. :)

15. grimley1968

grimley1968 DIS Veteran

Even if there are fall discounts such as a % off the room and/or "free dining", the Poly will always be a good deal more expensive than WL, though there have been some decent discounts in the past (though this year they seem to be pretty sparse).

It's about a tie between WL and Poly as to which is our favorite resort. We prefer the theming of WL, the hot tub at WL (Poly has no hot tub), the lobby of WL. The boat to MK from WL is very nice, and so is the bus. But there is no question that Poly has WL (and every other resort) beat hands down in terms of transportation. You can boat or monorail to MK, walk to the TTC (5 minute walk) and catch the EPCOT monorail, and bus to the other 2 parks with probably only a single quick stop at GF en route (this is a much quicker stop than, say, FW) to pick up more park goers.

We preferred Poly when our girls were younger and required stroller transportation more. From the Poly you could literally have a child sitting in a stroller all the way from your room to inside MK and EPCOT. That is a very nice feature. Now that our girls no longer need strollers, we prefer WL for the reasons I listed above, though even WL is getting priced out of our reach now.