Poll: Newer Disney Movies vs. Older Disney Movies.

Older (pre 1990) or Newer(post 1990) Disney Movies

• Older

• Newer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mermaid and Beauty are in a league all their own, IMO. Aladdin and Lion King are great, too. But I adore some of the older movies, like Mary Poppins.

I take them on a case-by-case basis and wouldn't dream of sticking The Little Mermaid in there with Pocahontas, or Aladdin with Hercules. But, that's me.

...now I've got "Prince Ali, fabulous he, ali-ababwa....heard your princes was a sight LOVELY to see" going through my head.

Disney movies that we loved as kids.

one_of_our_dinosaurs_is_missing.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

(1975) One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing
(1975) The Apple Dumpling Gang Don Knotts and Tim Conway :lmao:
(1975) Escape to Witch Mountain
(1972) Snowball Express
(1968) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang The most fantasmagorical musical entertainment
(1970) The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes
(1973) The World's Greatest Athlete

Snowball%20express.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

strongest_man_in_the_world.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've gone for 'Older'. Growing up I was forever watching The Little Mermaid, I think I played it every night leading up to our first ever trip to WDW :banana:

I love the older classic films, they were more 'musical' than the ones now and I consider these to be 'true' Disney films. I understand that times move along and that animation is always improving, but for me, you'll never beat the old 'hand-drawn' characters such as Robin Hood, Winnie the Pooh, The Little Mermaid etc.

Still, I now class The Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty & The Beast etc as 'older classics' now, by 'new' Disney I take it as the films they've done alongside Pixar, such as It's Tough..., The Incredibles, Toy Story, Monsters Inc etc...

This thread is making me feel old, as I still think of the Mermaid as a newer Disney movie. The songs are not as good as they were when Ashman was alive.

The Asman & Menkin songs are up there with Rodgers & Hammerstein and Lerner & Lowe, IMO. I think we all lost a lot when Howard Ashman died. At the very least, we missed out on hearing what great songs may have come next. May he rest in peace.

I love the classics, but I also love many of the movies put out by Disney in the last 25 years. The animation and music is always so wonderful. Just look at the watercolor backdrops for Lilo & Stitch or the highly stylized look of the characters in Hercules. Brilliant!

I grew up during the bad (early post-Walt) years of Disney movies, so as a kid the Disney name didn't mean much to me in terms of movies.

And by the time Little Mermaid was out, I had no interest in watching Disney stuff. I was in college, and (again), Disney animation meant "garbage" as far as I was concerned.

Having now purchased and viewed most of the classics and most of the newer stuff (I agree with the previous poster who said there are three eras, but I would split it into the Walt era, the early post-Walt era, and the Modern era (which begins with Little Mermaid, to me), I have an equal fondness for the classics and the modern classics. The early post-Walt era remains, even as an adult looking back on it and understanding what was going on at the time, absolute dreck.

Aw, heck, as a type A personality I have to split it even more. Here's my take:

Pre-WWII: All absolute classics - although not all of the same quality - and all worth watching more than once.
WWII and early postwar: The "Fun and Fancy Free" type musicals. Haven't seen any of them, except Mr Toad/Ichabod (which was good).
50s and 60s: (Cinderella through Jungle Book): More classics, all worth watching more than once -- except for Sword in the Stone (IMO).
The Post Walt Era: Total dreck.
The Eisner Golden Years: (Little Mermaid through Fantasia 2000) All worth watching, and many of them rival the output of the studio under Walt.
The New Millennium: We're pretty much back to dreck again.

And the Pixar stuff should be considered separately, IMO.

My favorite cartoons in order: Peter Pan, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Toy Story, lady and the Tramp, Mary Poppins and I would add Meet the Robinsons...I guess that makes me about 1/2 and 1/2 :)

I would say that the way that the choices on the poll are set up isn't really a fair representation of the movies. i like some of the Pixar movies and not others... I like some old movies, but not all and I like some of the "new" post-90 movies also (I was in middle school so i'm very attached to those movies as i watched them into oblivion!)

Funny this should come up. My kids asked what the story was to Splash Mountain, and I was telling them. I went to find the movie and I cannot believe in the US its never been sold. So I read the history on why that is and Im kind of shocked. They said it will be released at some time but not sure when. As a multicultural family, I can see how some might be offended but there are movies like this today who share the same type of story. A child becomes a friend of a slave, and sees no difference in friendship despite what others have told him to believe. Uncle Remus teaches valuble lessons to the child and the child lvoes spending time with Uncle Remus and believes he is a wise man. Whats wrong with that?:confused3

I also loved Alice in Wonderland, and all the original corny movies like the one where the pastor got all the people in the town to give up smoking, the snowball express, Herbie, Parent Trap, etc. Think of all those annoying girls in the new versions and where they are now!:scared1:

and all the original corny movies like the one where the pastor got all the people in the town to give up smoking

Was that The North Avenue Irregulars? I love that movie and would love to find it on DVD for my Mom, it's her favorite. Does anyone remember Gus, Hot Lead and Cold Feet, or any of the ones with very young Kurt Russell?

Was that The North Avenue Irregulars? I love that movie and would love to find it on DVD for my Mom, it's her favorite. Does anyone remember Gus, Hot Lead and Cold Feet, or any of the ones with very young Kurt Russell?

Yep, thats the movie! It has that same old lady from Freaky Friday the original, Mrs. Mouse?? Its hilarious! I found it at our local library.

I would say I like movies from both eras. While I can pick favorites, some are based on what I grew up watching, and others what the little ones in my life are growing up watching.

I find the lack of original soundtracks in the new movies to be a big let down. After Tarzan, I can't really think of a song from the movies that is really catchy. The music is as big of a part of the Disney movie as the animation. On the same note, though, I don't mind the Elvis music in Lilo and Stich, as it is a funny part of the story, not the only source of music.

I would have to say that true Disney animation (excluding Pixar) has been lacking since Lilo and Stitch, as I am one of those folks who actually likes Atlantis.

That being said, Sleeping Beauty is one of my all time favorites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!