POLL: Is it okay to join your party in line?

Is it okay to have a person join the line after getting FPs elsewhere?

• Yes, it's okay!

• No, it's cutting!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I love bitter and angry people at DL :goodvibes

I'm okay with a person or two getting in or out of line. Usually when I get out to take my youngest to the bathroom I say something to the person behind me so they know when I come back I'm not just jumping in front of them willy nilly. Most people realize that the bladders of those 5 and under are very mysterious and have to be emptied and inopportune times.

How am I bitter? Because I know that cutting is wrong? :confused3

All little kids are wiggly and full of energy. Imagine if every parent decided they could cut back in at the last second. :sad2: Even at the age of 2 my son stood in line. We kept him entertained with snacks and little toys that I'd have in my bag. If we could do that, so can everyone else. If kids are running around, pulling on the ropes, screaming (and don't have a disability) that's more of a parenting issue then anything else. Sorry, but that's how I see it. If a kid really wants to ride something, they'll behave. If not then no one rides. That's how I see it.

I have an autoimmune disease that can and does cause immediate needs to use the restroom. I find it interesting that someone wouldn't feel that's okay for an adult, but wiggly kids get a pass. :confused3

When we had a stroller we would park it, and then all get in line together. If we had to get out for bathroom breaks then we all got out of line. Or they would stay and I'd catch the ride the next time we all wanted to go on it.

I don't say anything when people do this though. I just think of them as rude, and that they obviously think they are more special then the rest of us that are waiting our turn. I usually will make them out to my son as an example of what not to do.

Yes it's ok with me if one adult with maybe a child joins their party in line.

I'm actually more annoyed at people who make a big deal out of it. We're talking about one or two people, not like five.

I have an autoimmune disease that can and does cause immediate needs to use the restroom. I find it interesting that someone wouldn't feel that's okay for an adult, but wiggly kids get a pass.

When we had a stroller we would park it, and then all get in line together. If we had to get out for bathroom breaks then we all got out of line. Or they would stay and I'd catch the ride the next time we all wanted to go on it.
If

Same here (in regards to the AI disease). If I need to be in the shade, we all leave the line. We also take breaks if I need to take some medication to help withstand the pain or fatigue resulting from a long line. We've never seen these issues as a reason to push our way to the front, so I have no problem confronting people pushing past us so that they can reach "the people" in front of them.

I'm actually more annoyed at people who make a big deal out of it. We're talking about one or two people, not like five.

This.

I feel like those people who feel the need to judge, scold and basically make other vacationers feel uncomfortable are acting more childish than the person who thinks it's ok to cut. Again--- you have NO idea what the situation or reason behind a separated group might be. Give people the benefit of the doubt, I say. Be the bigger, better person and let it go.

And really... how often does it happen when you stand in line? Every line? Same person every time? Doubtful.

I like the PP thought on Karma. While I don't believe in Karma exactly, I do think the universe has a way of righting itself. They aren't winning any prize by acting like jerks if they are just cutting for the sake of cutting. But neither are we who feel the need to treat them poorly for the same action.

This.

I feel like those people who feel the need to judge, scold and basically make other vacationers feel uncomfortable are acting more childish than the person who thinks it's ok to cut. Again--- you have NO idea what the situation or reason behind a separated group might be. Give people the benefit of the doubt, I say. Be the bigger, better person and let it go.

And really... how often does it happen when you stand in line? Every line? Same person every time? Doubtful.

I like the PP thought on Karma. While I don't believe in Karma exactly, I do think the universe has a way of righting itself. They aren't winning any prize by acting like jerks if they are just cutting for the sake of cutting. But neither are we who feel the need to treat them poorly for the same action.

Extremely well said. The person you're hurting most when you allow yourself to get upset about things outside your control (e.g. other people's actions) is really yourself. Even if you would manage to "chasten" or even stop the person you deemed to be "line cutting," you're likely the one carrying that anger, upset and adrenaline around, which inevitably taints your vacation.

And I say that non-judgementally, because it's something I struggle with, too. One quick Disney example: I was standing in line to leave the park one cold and very crowded night and a large family with two strollers AND a wheelchair literally shoved me out of the way, separating me from my then-three-year old, to get ahead of me. I got very upset because my son was out of the park, ALONE, without me and I could no longer see him. These people laughed at me when I said they cut me off and my son was out there and wouldn't let me go ahead, saying something not very nice at all that I recall included a few four-letter words (in their defense I was pretty panicked and yelling too, about needing to get to my son, though I know I didn't curse because that's not my style). I was frantic and very upset. All ended well, as I ran from exit to exit and finally got out to find my son crying, and a little scared, but with a cast member. The person who was upset in that situation, wasn't the family who cut me off and then denied it, it was me, and that anger/fear emotional rush lasted long after the incident.

I have three times, in three Disney visits, had to get out of line with my son, aged 3 and 4 at the time, where we eventually rejoined my husband and/or others in our party in line. Some here would say my reasons (child's meltdown, potty break and cut foot, respectively) were justified, others wouldn't. I did try to do it as nicely as possible--waiting until we had to pass the least amount of people possible--and explain and apologize to all the people we directly walked by what had occurred. Everyone was very nice, for which I was grateful, because I'm the kind of person that if I'd run into someone "throwing elbows" or "telling me off," as others describe here (some proudly), would have ended up leaving Disney that day in tears.

Like I did the day my just-turned four-year-old had an accident in line at Innoventions ... For the very reason (he later told me) that it was just he and I that day and the last time he'd told me he had to go, we got out of line and had to start all over again. That day, people (cast members and fellow guests alike) weren't very nice, or understanding, at all, about the situation. (And, no, I didn't try to get back in line, I mean just helping me get out of the tight line, get the mess cleaned up--which did not happen quietly, as I'd hoped--and find a restroom to get him cleaned up and calmed down). We both ended up leaving the park very unhappy and embarrassed, and I had some mommy anger that a little more consideration wasn't given for a clearly upset and embarrassed child.

I've also been in a Disney line situation where my mother-in-law was drinking coffee while we waited in line, and the attendant said she couldn't take it inside once the line reached the ride's interior (there was an inside and outside portion of the queue), so we stood there and allowed people to pass while she finished, and then went in when she was done. Still, even though we'd stood in the entire line, and even let probably 30-50 people pass us by (telling them why as we did), the group of people we eventually went in before kept talking about how we "cut" in line in front of them, which definitely effected me and made me feel awful. (So, in their mind, mission accomplished.) I'm sure some on the Dis would argue we should have gotten out of line and started all over, but I, personally, don't think we did anything even slightly wrong.

This.

I see things black and white, there is no acceptable reason in my opinion.

It happens often enough for me, and I do not let it "ruin" my vacation, I'm not even angry when I tell them that they cannot pass me. I just say politely that I do not feel comfortable letting them pass because I have waited a long time in the line and I feel like it's not fair or right to have this happen. I wouldn't tell them "off", I'd just say no you can't pass. that's not telling someone off.

And if anyone "yelled" at me for my beliefs and morals that I follow, I would just kindly ask a CM for security :goodvibes and tell said person to have a magical day and that their anger is not my problem and it shouldn't "ruin" their vacation.

I don't like cutting. I understand the need can arise on rare occasions and I try to think that's what it is when it happens.

However, I also think many parents are giving themselves an "out" for not dealing with some parenting issues. I have 5 kids and have taken them all to DL from an early age. My view was that if my kids couldn't behave in line then they weren't ready for the ride. That was a very rare thing because they generally wanted to ride more than they needed to act out. I do have a daughter with Aspberger's so I understand that there are situations in which the kids are not able to wait in a long line. In that case, you just don't do it. I am in the camp that thinks it's best to stay out of line if you think you'll have to get out of line. I'm not rabid about it but if it becomes accepted to get out of line every time someone wants to use the bathroom or needs a break from waiting, it could become a much bigger issue. Having a general sense that it's not ok is probably best, I think.

I have to weigh in. Never ok, plain rude. You're time here is not more valuable than mine! I had to park my stroller, take kids to restroom, get drinks, etc. & I still managed to keep us all together in line & see what we needed to see. If we do get separated in lime, my kids are taught (as I was) to step aside & let everyone pass until our group catches up to you. You don't get to pass ahead, so don't run ahead. JMO

Extremely well said. The person you're hurting most when you allow yourself to get upset about things outside your control (e.g. other people's actions) is really yourself. Even if you would manage to "chasten" or even stop the person you deemed to be "line cutting," you're likely the one carrying that anger, upset and adrenaline around, which inevitably taints your vacation.

Couldn't have said it better myself :thumbsup2

Personally, I'd rather not give some stranger in an amusement park that much power over how I feel and go about my day :goodvibes

To me, it depends on the situation and how far are they "cutting". Is it an older person that needed to sit for a bit? Are they cutting to the front? I usually don't care though unless it's 10 people or something.

I don't understand how people can beo okay with "1 or 2" people meeting up "their family/friends" yet be against a huge group who is cutting.

I explained it back on page 1. It has nothing to do with the reason why they're cutting. In my mind, it's "does it affect me personally or not?"

This.

The theory that I've come up with is...if it doesn't affect how long I wait, go ahead and cut in front of me. It becomes a problem when your cutting makes me wait longer.

For example, if a family of 4 has 3 people wait in line for Toy Story and the 4th joins them later, that doesn't affect my wait time at all because I would not be filling that empty seat if the 4th person hadn't have joined. But if 1 person waits and 3 people join, it could or could not affect my wait time depending on my party size.

So by my personal rule, 1 person running to get a FP rarely makes a difference. :confused3

I see things black and white, there is no acceptable reason in my opinion.

It happens often enough for me, and I do not let it "ruin" my vacation, I'm not even angry when I tell them that they cannot pass me. I just say politely that I do not feel comfortable letting them pass because I have waited a long time in the line and I feel like it's not fair or right to have this happen. I wouldn't tell them "off", I'd just say no you can't pass. that's not telling someone off.

And if anyone "yelled" at me for my beliefs and morals that I follow, I would just kindly ask a CM for security :goodvibes and tell said person to have a magical day and that their anger is not my problem and it shouldn't "ruin" their vacation.

umm... I don't understand how you would have a problem with a person in a group taking a child to the bathroom and then resuming their place in line. You aren't waiting any longer because an adult and a child leaves the line up and returns to it. Your wait time remains unchanged. This isn't 'cutting' at all. Cutting would refer to a person or persons who had never been in line in the first place.

I do not buy the my child has to use the restroom excuse, if your kid has to use the restroom get out of the line and get back in it after. I don't understand how people can beo okay with "1 or 2" people meeting up "their family/friends" yet be against a huge group who is cutting. Cutting is cutting, there are no "exceptions" I've been known to not let people pass me, and they've gotten all mad but really Disney says not to cut or save spots in lines for rides, you wait for your party and if one has to leave then you should leave too.

No one gets a pass.

So you want a family who might have been waiting for an hour to get out of the line, use the bathroom and then get back to the end of the line and start the process all over again? With your rigid thinking that family is unlikely to ever make the ride. I don't think you have children and/or travel with people who have special needs ( mental or physical ) that prevent them from standing for such a long time. You might see things black and white but that is not the way the world works. You sound like a very unforgiving person.

umm... I don't understand how you would have a problem with a person in a group taking a child to the bathroom and then resuming their place in line.

So you want a family who might have been waiting for an hour to get out of the line, use the bathroom and then get back to the end of the line and start the process all over again? With your rigid thinking that family is unlikely to ever make the ride. I don't think you have children and/or travel with people who have special needs ( mental or physical ) that prevent them from standing for such a long time. You might see things black and white but that is not the way the world works. You sound like a very unforgiving person.

Yes that is what I expect, I'm sorry that you are so bothered by the fact that I have a different belief system than you and can see how cutting is RUDE and WRONG. I don't understand how you could endorse such a behavior as cutting, what does that teach people? It's okay to do it.

And you have NO IDEA what kind of special needs I have, since I do have a few disabilities that DO affect my routines and daily life. You learn what you can and can't do. How dare you assume otherwise, you don't know me and my disabilities. I do travel with kids at times, and guess what? When the child has to use the restroom, we leave and come back or try to get them to use the restroom before we get in line if possible. It sucks, there are rides we miss out on when we travel with kids but that is how life is. Just because there are children with you doesn't give anyone a pass in cutting in line.

Yes that is what I expect, I'm sorry that you are so bothered by the fact that I have a different belief system than you and can see how cutting is RUDE and WRONG. I don't understand how you could endorse such a behavior as cutting, what does that teach people? It's okay to do it.

And you have NO IDEA what kind of special needs I have, since I do have a few disabilities that DO affect my routines and daily life. You learn what you can and can't do. How dare you assume otherwise, you don't know me and my disabilities. I do travel with kids at times, and guess what? When the child has to use the restroom, we leave and come back or try to get them to use the restroom before we get in line if possible. It sucks, there are rides we miss out on when we travel with kids but that is how life is. Just because there are children with you doesn't give anyone a pass in cutting in line.

You need to lighten up.

What does it teach people? It teaches people that sometimes putting someone elses needs ahead of yourself is a kind and unselfish thing to do. If I saw a whole family get out of line right in front of me to go take one child to the bathroom I would offer to let the adult and child back in front of me so they didn't all have to leave - why? Because it's the nice thing to do. I'm on vacation and spent a lot of time and money to get here but so do they - I want everyone to enjoy their stay and me waiting another 2 minutes so a child can use the bathroom is not going to ruin my holiday at all.

What does it teach people? It teaches people compassion and understanding. It reminds us that at it's core Disneyland is a place for families and children and should not be about a cranky SOB who wants a whole family to get out of line because a 3 yr old needs to go to the bathroom.

A group of 5 people are ahead of you: an adult and child need to leave for a bathroom break and then return is NOT CUTTING IN LINE BECAUSE THEY HAVE ALREADY BEEN IN LINE. They have not affected your wait time at all and are merely resuming their position in line.

If you were to say anything to me in that circumstance quite likely I would just ignore you and carry on my way. If you felt the need to unreasonably escalate and refuse to let me pass ( I'm not sure how you would do this without getting physical ) then I would be the one finding a cast member to deal with the Grumpy Dwarf who has perhaps become lost on the way back to their cottage.

You need to lighten up.

What does it teach people? It teaches people that sometime putting someone elses needs ahead of yourself is a kind and unselfish thing to do.

It teaches people compassion and understanding. It reminds us that at it's core Disneyland is a place for families and children and should not be about a cranky SOB who wants a whole family to get out of line because a 3 yr old needs to go to the bathroom.

A group of 5 people a head of you and an adult and child need to leave for a bathroom break and then return is NOT CUTTING IN LINE BECAUSE THEY HAVE ALREADY BEEN IN LINE. They have not affected your wait time at all and are merely resuming their position in line.

If you were to say anything to me in that circumstance quite likely I would just ignore you and carry on my way. If you felt the need to unreasonably escalate the situation then I would be the one finding a cast member to deal with the Grumpy Dwarf who has perhaps become lost on the way back to their cottage.

LOL. Okay. Who is the one that needs to lighten up? You are getting all twisted in a bunch. It's kind of sad really. The fact that I stick to my morals, and follow what I was taught makes you all kinds of mad and that's sad. I feel sorry for you that you feel the need to attack me and call me an SOB. You do that, fine. Good for you. I don't need to resort to calling people who believe cutting in line is wrong a SOB.

You don't agree with how I feel and I definitely don't agree with you. This is the last I will reply to your bullying messages.

I used the word "SOB" to describe you but at the same time you have no problem saying that people don't agree with your 'morals' are rude and inconsiderate?

Just because it's what you were taught does not make it right. Your morals are your morals, you can't enforce your morality on other people by trying to actually prevent them from getting back in line. My morality says that it's perfectly OK - who wins?

It makes me a little sad - sad that somebody can be so rigid on something that hurts nobody. The sad/mad person would be the one who wouldn't let an adult and child return to their party because they needed to pee. Who is sad and mad in that equation?

Again, a family who was already waiting ahead of you is not cutting in line if one or 2 need to leave to use the bathroom.

This thread is a hoot :rotfl: I really hope I never have the pleasure of bumping into some people at DL.

The situation I posted before.....about getting separated from 3 members of my group of 8 during the big squeeze getting into line for RSR....1.5 hrs when the ride finally opened and the line started moving, guess what I saw at (what I assume was) the single rider line? A CM waiting to unhook the chain to let a lady and a little girl in to meet up with the lady in front of me. I'm glad at least the CMs realize its the happiest place on earth! lol

That lady behind me traded in her good mood (if she had one to begin with) for a foul one over an extra 5 minutes in line (after a 1.5 hr wait). I really don't get it :confused3 (and 5 minutes is being generous, we were all lined up for cars at the same time)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter