Poll for AP veterans

Do you wait for the AP rate or book now & then change?

• I wait for the AP rate.

• I book my desired resort and then update the reservation when the AP rates come out.

• I book a less expensive resort and then upgrade when the AP rates come out.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Donald is #1

DIS Veteran
I am an AP newbie and I would like some advice from you veterans. When waiting for AP rates, do you just wait for the rate to be released and hope, book your desired resort and then change your rate later, or book a cheaper resort and then upgrade if the rates come out? I am planning on visiting WDW in May and I am hoping for an AP rate for AKL. I just can't decide whether I should book now or wait for the AP rate.

I wait for the AP rate. I just don't like to get my hopes up about a particular resort only to be disapointed if the AP rate is not what I rate is not what I thought it would be. Best just to wait and see in my opinion!

Melissa

are rates at the Values easier to come by especially if you don't care which one?

It's my first time thinking of an ap and wondering if it would be worth it or just go with AAA

I'm hoping to go end of August.

I will book a resort I can afford, and then upgrade if a code comes out.

Did this this past January. Started at POR, out came the code, changed to WL for $135/night. Cost less than POR in June. I'll probably do it this way next time, too...I'm okay with staying at a value or mod if that's what I can afford.

I book a rate/resort that I am willing to pay, and then usually just pocket the savings when the discount comes out. I did upgrade one time however.

I wait for the rates to be released before I book anything.

I won't book a room at rack rate when I'm not willing to pay that much, and I won't make a reservation for the code to be applied to because I believe that defeats Disney's whole purpose of releasing AP rates. Why release discounted rates when your rooms are all booked at rack rates?

I always book the resort I want to stay at and plan to stay at even without the AP rate. That way I get the resort I want even if I have to pay rackrate.

For us it depends on the time of year...most often I wait until the rates come out. We are not terribly picky about where we stay either.

I wait for the AP discounts with an open mind that if one resort is unavailable then I am happy enough with my 2nd choice. I am always nervous that Disney will release limited AP discounts if rooms are already booked at rack rate.

My TA booked two room only AAA rates. So if/when AP rate comes out I can apply it instead of the AAA. Either way I've got a room, this makes sense, right?

Thanks everyone for the advice so far! It looks like it is running neck & neck on the first 2 options. Basically my dilemma is that whether a I do split stay between AKL & one of the moderates (no AP code) or the full week at AKL. I have always wanted to stay at AKL, but I just can't justify the price to myself for a solo stay without a good discount. (Of course I want a savanna view room :) .) I already checked out the moderate prices and I would be happy with one of them. So I think that I will wait another week & hope for the code. If a code doesn't come out, then I think that I will book my first split stay! If it does come out, then I will hopefully book AKL or another deluxe if there aren't any AKL rates.

Please keep the opinions coming!:banana:

I will book a resort I can afford, and then upgrade if a code comes out.
Yep me too. I always book what I can afford and either apply the AP rate if I want to stay there, or upgrade.

This year we are staying at the GF. I have garden view booked because at this time that is what I can afford. If an AP rate comes out and Lagoon, MK or whatever happens to be the same as what I am paying now I will upgrade.

I really hope I can get Sugar Loaf for the same price if not just a touch more than my garden view this year.

Would you mind if I asked aproximately how much did the garden view at the GF go for last year?

I'm hoping for the Poly sometime this fall or Winter....but I've stayed at the GF also.

I'm booking with AAA just to get that if nothing else then I'll see if I make a change or not.

I reserve what I'm willing to pay for and either apply the AP rate or upgrade. If you reserve a room that you aren't willing to pay full price for you are giving Disney the impression that this room is taken at full price. If many people do this there is no incentive to offer an AP for that Hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter