Police break into hot car to save... a doll

I really wish that police weren't scrutinized for every mistake they make. Reporting on things like this are not helping matters as they stand right now. This does not need to be news. I'm sure the county or whatever will replace the window.

I wouldn't even call this a mistake really. I mean if it was a Cabbage Patch kid in the car seat or something I could see that being a mistake but that doll looks very realistic. I would call it a police officer doing their job.

except in those situations, you are either accused of a crime, and police have enough evidence to arrest you, or you are illegally parked.

If, for example, I was parked legally, not in front of a hydrant and came to find for some odd reason, the fire dept. ran their hose through my car, I'd have a case.

What if instead of a baby, an onlooker thought they saw a bomb in your back seat, so the cops bust your car open, and it turns out you were just returning a slow cooker, and some ball bearings at the same time because Bed Bath and Beyond is next to Home Depot.

As long as they meet the standard. Maybe it is different n Canada, it also may differ state to state. You can make a claim on anything doesn't mean you will collect.

In the case of a possible bomb, if the responding officer felt it was a credible threat, we would tape the area off. We would try to locate the owner of the vehicle. Failing that the EOD would be called out. They would try to make entry into the vehicle - the EOD - I doubt the would break window as may cause a concussion that may detonate any device.

Now maybe in Canada it would not be like that, but seeing the recent history of this city, that would & has happened. Backpacks, packages & anything that looks suspicious is treated as a threat.

Last edited:
As long as they meet the standard. Maybe it is different n Canada, it also may differ state to state. You can make a claim on anything doesn't mean you will collect.

In the case of a possible bomb, if the responding officer felt it was a credible threat, we would tape the area off. We would try to locate the owner of the vehicle. Failing that the EOD would be called out. They would try to make entry into the vehicle - the EOD - I doubt the would break window as may cause a concussion that may detonate any device.

Now maybe in Canada it would not be like that, but seeing the recent history of this city, that would & has happened. Backpacks, packages & anything that looks suspicious is treated as a threat.

It's a sad world we live in.

I will totally agree with you there. I fear for what my DGD will have to live with as she grows.

One of the suggestions for people with babies is to strap a doll or stuffed animal in the carseat and then move it to the front when you strap your baby in. That way if you have a change of routine you are alerted by the doll in the front seat that your baby's in the carseat and the baby doesn't get left in the car by mistake on a hot day.

I used a version of this trick because I'm one of the most absent minded people who ever existed - but I don't think anyone would mistake my Winnie the Pooh for a real child.

except in those situations, you are either accused of a crime, and police have enough evidence to arrest you, or you are illegally parked.

If, for example, I was parked legally, not in front of a hydrant and came to find for some odd reason, the fire dept. ran their hose through my car, I'd have a case.

What if instead of a baby, an onlooker thought they saw a bomb in your back seat, so the cops bust your car open, and it turns out you were just returning a slow cooker, and some ball bearings at the same time because Bed Bath and Beyond is next to Home Depot.
A better example would be if they thought you had a bomb in your car because you had made an exact replica of a bomb, which was completely realistic and able to fool pretty much everyone.

People here in the Bay Area are getting creative to use the carpool lane. It wouldn't surprise me if this doll was used as a decoy.

If it would have been a real baby, they would have been in the doughnut shop :laughing:,( joking people, every cop I know is a classy guy)

The doll in the picture is one those very expensive "real life" dolls. Heavy, breakable...they aren't for children. They are designed and painted to look (and weigh) as real as possible.

It's nothing like a child's well loved dolly.

I overlooked the possibility that it might be a child's toy, so I changed my original response. But still, the adult who was driving should have had enough sense to remove the doll from the car when leaving.

Even if it WAS a toy for a kid, it's oddball. They make little toy car seats for kids to strap in their dolls and play grown-up. A life size realistic looking doll in a full sized car seat??? :confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter