Points Usage normal/banked

Tagrel

DIS Veteran/DVC Member
Here's one I haven't seen before...

Just off the phone with Member services and was surprised by the following.

We just joined last year, and banked 200 points, so we started with 400 pts this year. I've made and changed reservations serveral times during the last few months (1st week at VWL and second at first BWV but changed again to BCV) Anyway: Today while cancelling our BWV stay I asked about my total number of points remaining.

The CM said I had 132 pts, 56 of which are banked points and have to be used, yada, yada, yada!! Since I used 268 pts this year, I ASSUMED the 200 banked from last year would be used first. This isn't automatically the case. When I squawked (politely of course!) the CM ran a REALLOCATION of points which used the banked points first.

Just wanted to share this. I'm not sure what would have happened if I hadn't caught this. I plan to bank the 132pts...

Tagrel

MS is usually very good about using banked points for reservations, but when we change or cancel reservations, they won't automatically reallocate any banked points which were freed up by the change. They just put those points back into your current use year.

It's a good habit to always check the status of banked points, especially when making changes to a reservation.

Enjoy!

This has happened to be but in a somewhat reverse situation. I had to borrow points for a reservation. I then added on and extended our vacation by a few days using these newly added points and banked all remaining points. We had guests who WERE going to join us but had to cancel, so I had to change my two bedroom to a one bedroom. Since I had borrowed points for the two bedroom reservation and changed it, I was stuck with borrowed points and there was no reallocation that could be done since I had already done it before so I could bank as many points as I could. I ended up with 54 points just hanging out, so I had no choice but to use them. So, I've learned from my mistake and only will borrow points if I'm sure of my vacation plans so I don't end up in this situation again. The moral of this story, I need more points, but I have to convince DH first!!!!

Since I write IT software for a living, and the fact that the CM could just run something to reallocate, I have to wonder why this isn't just run automatically when new reservations or cancellations occur. They generate a new Reservation/Cancellation number for each change, so why not just run the reallocation routines at the same time?

Tagrel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter