Podcast Cruise 4.0 - 12/08/2012

Discussion in 'Podcast Cruises' started by WebmasterJohn, Mar 23, 2011.

1. NancyIL

NancyIL DIS Veteran

Costa Maya is just the port facility, and unfortunately - it's as far as some people venture off the ship. The nearest town is Majahual - although it's primarily a beach. If our port time were longer, I'd do another tour to the Chacchoben Ruins.

I found this part of Cruise Critic's description particularly interesting:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mainegal

mainegal <font color=purple>I am becoming very good at maki

So this is the present I am supposed to bring to the folks at home? Vanilla? I never would have guessed - vanilla!

4. mainegal

I have read about Majahual. It is not the manufactured area, is it worth a taxi ride or a walk there? If we do not have one for the Chacchoben ruins, then I guess it will be Tulim.

Yes, funny the Costa Maya description is "Disney". Like two Castaway Cays on one trip?

5. NancyIL

NancyIL DIS Veteran

It's a bit of a walk, but worth the taxi ride to see "authentic" Mexico.

6. mainegal

Excellent! I look forward to seeing the "authentic" Mexico.

7. Disney Dad Canada

Disney Dad Canada Passing on my Disney obsession to my 3 kids, and a

What can I say? Disney is the type of company that you give all your money to, and apologize to them for not being able to give them any more.

8. chirurgeon

chirurgeon I am a delicate flower and need my sleep.

Neither Hope or I have been to these ports. She was talking about going to the ruins at Tulum (sp?) I discovered on a previous cruise, I can't snorkel. I have a weird panic attack when I try to breathe thru a snorkel. Not sure what I might do besides the tour of the ruins. The time we have at Costa Maya, isn't that long, so I have no clue what to do there. Where can we get the good vanilla? Is it the beans or the extract? I would love to use it for my Christmas baking that year. I will be honest, Mexico scares me a little. I know we will be safe, but all the stuff that goes on down there is just so whacked. I will have to look at the current excursions again to see if I am even going to get off the ship at a couple of stops. A whole day by the pool or in the spa when everyone else is on shore sounds nice.

Kim

9. sayhello

sayhello Have Camera, Will Travel Moderator

For Cozumel, I plan on trying to do the swim with Dolphins that I had to cancel 2 years ago. 3rd time is the charm? (I've had to cancel this excursion twice. First time on Curacao, I got a scratched cornea on the plane to San Juan & had to stay out of the water. 2nd time on Cozumel, I was on blood thinners due to a blood clot, and my doctor strongly recommended that I cancel. I really want to swim with the Dolphins, but I'm a little afraid to schedule it! :eek:)

Hopefully snorkeling in Grand Cayman.

Sayhello

10. mdvlprof

mdvlprof DIS Veteran

We buy vanilla extract. Buy it from one of the more established stores, otherwise you may not get strong vanilla.. I think we paid aroung $8-10 for a food-service sized bottle.

11. crazy4stitch

crazy4stitch Mouseketeer

Do you get that in Cozumel or Coastal Maya?

12. crazy4stitch

crazy4stitch Mouseketeer

3rd time will be the charm! I was thinking about the Trainer for a day, that is something my daughter is always talking about doing for a living, I think she would get a kick out of it. So excited about this trip, can't believe it is over a year away.

13. sayhello

sayhello Have Camera, Will Travel Moderator

Yes! That trainer for a day does look pretty cool!

Sayhello

14. mdvlprof

mdvlprof DIS Veteran

Cozumel, but probably have it at Costa Maya, too.

15. Cherinva

Cherinva Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

Welcome Scott !!!!

16. Cherinva

:yay:

17. Disney Dad Canada

Disney Dad Canada Passing on my Disney obsession to my 3 kids, and a

Tracey just officially gave us the Welcome aboard. Look out guys, you'll all know my kids and I by the end of the cruise (hopefully in a good way).:cool1:

18. Pipperdoodle

Pipperdoodle Dreamer and planner of all things Disney.

I've been to Tulum. If I remember correctly it was a long bus ride but an interesting tour. What I remember most was the soldiers carrying sub machine guns standing there as you get off the bus. Wasn't expecting that. I would do it again.

As far as the dolphin thing in Cozumel, I felt horrible for the way the dolphins were penned in. They were in a rusty chain link enclosure in the sea and we stood on a metal 2 foot wide gangway (wear beach shoes). They had several pens with a dolphin in it and we were moved twice because the dolphins weren't cooperating. Well no kidding, the first pen they put us in was a mommy with a 2 week old dolphin. As soon as I heard that she had a baby in there, I was very nervous. She didn't want us anywhere near her baby and I couldn't blame her. I read that after a hurricane they lost the dolphins, etc, so I guess the rebuilt and captured more dolphins. I haven't been on another dolphin excursions so I have nothing to compare this to, but I hope the others are a little better to the dolphins although they are in captivity so how good can it be?

19. Cherinva

Good Morning Everyone !!!! I'm really looking forward to this cruise....we are talking about taking the tours of the ruins...sounds very interesting.

20. sshaw10060

sshaw10060 DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

I would check out Penzeys spices. A great company with amazing product.

21. paulasillars

paulasillars <font color=green>Body in New Zealand, mind in Wal

We have just put in a request for the Hawaii cruise so couldn't do PCC3.0 as we'd originally planned... nothing for it but to push out PCC3.0 to PCC4.0 so looks like I'm travelling with you all instead :cool1: