Please tell your pets you love them....

Discussion in 'Coping and Compassion' started by peabody58, Dec 25, 2012.

1. peabody58

peabody58 I'm just a drummer in a R&R Band!!

After 40 days of enduring the cancerous effects of hemangiosarcoma (HSA), including a Splenectomy, our 10 year old Minature Schnauzer Gretel will be relieved of her pain and discomfort this Christmas afternoon.

As I left for work tonight, she looked into my eyes to let me know she was ready. We gained 20 great 'puppy' days with her due to the surgary and medications, but alas this cancer is very aggresive.

10 years of unconditional love from our best friend has been priceless. We have been very blessed to have had her with us for this short time. Her spirit will live on with her brother Hansel, who undoubtedly will be very lonely.

Please use this Christmas time to let your pet know how much they mean to you, for you never really know when their time will come.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mommasita

mommasita DIS VETERAN Moderator

I'm sorry. These decisions are difficult, but made out of extreme love :hug:

4. peabody58

Well Gretel gave us her Christmas present today by recovering well enough to eat some food and not be in obvious discomfort. We called off the vet minutes before he was leaving. She spent the day resting quietly on the sofa keeping DW and her brother company. Her energy is very low, but another day with us is a blessing. I'm looking forward to seeing her again when I get off work this morning. We know it's only a matter of days till she doesn't recover from her bad days.

5. FergieTCat

FergieTCat <font color=green>No, I'm serious. And don't call

When I brought Fergie for her final visit to the vet, it was so painful yet my heart was so full of compassion. I don't know what was worse, the dread going there or the sadness on the way back.

I know Fergie knew how much I loved her.

6. peabody58

RIP Gretel 12/28/12

She was a gift of love on short term loan. She was a fighter and lover to the very end.

7. mommasita

mommasita DIS VETERAN Moderator

:hug: what a great blessed live you gave her.

Hugs and more to you.

8. DisneyFan32WI

DisneyFan32WI <font color=blue>Sometimes I just like to be plain

I'm so sorry. It is even more difficult to lose a loved one during the holidays. It should be a time of love, cheer, blessings, family, etc. Not one of sadness.

Give lots of extra love to Hansel. He will need this.

9. DisneyFairytale

DisneyFairytale DIS Veteran

You really can't say it any better with all these great guys. Sending some prayers and hugs your way while you adjust to the change.

10. TashaRVT

TashaRVT Just keep swimming, just keep swimming... what do

You have my deepest condolences. Go ahead and let yourself grieve - she knows you'll always love her and are happy that she is safe an pain free

11. aml3679

aml3679 Kita's Mom

So sorry for your loss.

Last Thanksgiving our little girl Kita (only 6 years old) passed away from cancer. This is our 3rd cat who passed away from cancer. We loved her like nobody's business. Spoiled her. Let her know how much she was loved every day. Shortly after, we went to the shelter and got 2 kittens - tuxedos - brother and sister. They are the life of our home and are spoiled rotten and we know who rescued whom.

12. MomiTo2SwtGuys

MomiTo2SwtGuys DIS Veteran

So sorry for your loss. We had a miniature schnauzer names Prissy. She was so sweet. She passed away in her sleep when she was 5 years old. She had a lot of seizures and health problems. We were expecting it, but it doesn't make it any easier. Praying for healing for your heart.

13. pwdebbie

pwdebbie DIS Veteran

We are in the midst of a long goodbye right now with our 15 1/2 yo beagle. Dh has shed many tears as we watch her get weaker each day. It is hard to let go.

14. FergieTCat

FergieTCat <font color=green>No, I'm serious. And don't call

OP, I am sorry to hear about Gretel.

Be kind to yourself; the grief is as real as any other.

15. artemis908

artemis908 EPCOTnaut

So sorry for your loss. For the first time in my life I have a dog who is 100% loyal to me, he follows me around and always wants to sleep by my bed. :) Usually the dogs I had growing up always were closer to my mom. But if anything happened to Myles I would be completely devastated, it would be like losing a relative because he is truly part of my family. I love him more than words can say!

I hope you feel better soon.

[​IMG]

16. NumberOneDisneyFan

NumberOneDisneyFan #1 Disney Fan

We recently lost our 15-year old cat and are still grieving his passing. Our other cats (including his 12-year old son) seem to really miss him as well.

I am sorry to read about the loss of your best friend.