Please Tell Me About La Hacienda de San Angel

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by guitarob, Sep 10, 2012.

1. guitarob

guitarob Polynesian Obsessed

We've just booked La Hacienda de San Angel for our last night. We like Mexican food quite a bit and it seems to be reviewed well enough. What are YOUR thoughts on this restaurant?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. partypa

partypa Mouseketeer

We Love it
    A lot better than the San Angel Inn, IMHO. Have eaten there several times in the last year, always good. Quite enjoy watching Illuminations too, if timed right :)

4. Lynne M

Lynne M Moderator Moderator

Moving to the Restaurants board...

5. Tiffany507s

Tiffany507s Mouseketeer

I agree with the PP, it is WAY better than San Angel Inn. I'm not a huge Mexican food lover, but even I thought the place was delish. DH and I got one of the entrees that two people split... I can't remember the name though.

Enjoy, you've made a great choice!:thumbsup2

6. TruBlu

TruBlu <font color=green>I was very excited to see how yu

We love Mexican food - all kinds (authentic to Taco Bell), but we didn't like it at all. We had the two large platters, shared between the 4 of us. There was very little we enjoyed - corn & steak only. It all had a VERY strong smoky taste. :(

But dessert was fantastic! :)

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

7. TheRustyScupper

TheRustyScupper Just once, I want to see a liar's pants on fire.

Our Ratings of La Hacienda (TS // QS): (Rev 7/21/2012)
    . . . food price value: C // D
    . . . food quality: B // B
    . . . food quantity per serving: B // C
    . . . food prep speed: B // C
    . . . food selection: D // C
    . . . seating quantity: C // C
    . . . seating comfort: C // C
    . . . eatery atmosphere: C // D
    . . . eatery convenience: B // B
    . . . staff friendliness: B // B
    . . . staff attentiveness: B // C
    . . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: A limited menu eatery, and although Americanized, it is
    surprisingly more authentic than the San Angel Inn. However, it
    does not have the ambience of San Angel. If you are lucky, you
    might snag a window seat for Illuminations. The TS negative is the
    high price (as an example: $23 shrimp/tortillas, $26 flank steak).

8. Caseheidi

Caseheidi DIS Veteran

We are there on our last trip and loved it. I do agree that it is a bit over priced, but the staff was great, wait times were good and food great. We had our toddler with us, and they were very accommodating.

9. snarfblatt

snarfblatt Mouseketeer

We just made reservations there today. What are our chances of seeing the illuminations fireworks?

10. TruBlu

TruBlu <font color=green>I was very excited to see how yu

There is a room where you can't see AT ALL, and that's where we ended up. We even asked if we could wait until a table opened up in the other room, but they said no. They said we could walk into the other room to watch, which we tried - but we felt really uncomfortable, so we ended up missing Illuminations all together. We tried to watch from behind the crowd but couldn't see much.

If you go, go for the food & consider it a bonus if you get a view.

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

11. MWinKY

MWinKY Disney Dreamin'

I went there in June and hated it. I love Mexican food and wanted to try it, but I won't go back. I booked it for my family of 4 and I could tell that it wasn't going well as soon as we got our menus.

It was expensive and the portions were small and not even very good. My kids didn't like the kids meal options, but they didn't have anything simple on the menu for them, so my daughter got an appetizer as a meal and it was weird. I think my son just ate chips.

Sorry for the bad review, but I have to be honest. I love just about every other World Showcase restaurant :)

12. jennylyn_b

jennylyn_b Disney Fan for Life :)

One of our absolute favorites! We go once every trip which is about every 6 months. The service has been outstanding and the food is amazing. If you like the menu you should enjoy it. Even our DD at 12.5 and 18 months enjoyed it. She had the kids chicken tacos , deconstructed of course.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

13. everythingALICE

everythingALICE I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I

I really loved it!
    I agree that the food and overall experience is much better than at SAI. Both the food and margaritas were super delicious, the service was attentive (but not rushed at all), and I really loved the decor (nice bright colors, beautiful view of the lagoon if you're lucky enough to snag a seat by the window). Definitely planning to return on my next trip.

14. mfd25wife

mfd25wife DIS Veteran

I really did not like it the first time I went. It was new and the cast members were very inexperienced. I have a food allergy and it was the only restaurant that seemed to not have a clue. Then again, they suggested my vegetarian friend eat a chicken dish not realizing what being a vegetarian meant. It was also kind of pricey for the offering. Now, on the flip side, it had an excellent view for illuminations. I loved that part. I do give every place a second chance, and we did return a year later. It was much better the second time. It is still pricey IMO, but the quality and the service is at least better. I would at least tell someone to try it for themselves.

15. guitarob

guitarob Polynesian Obsessed

Thanks for the replies everyone!

16. doberlady

doberlady <font color=royalblue>It just never gets old to me

we enjoyed it very much

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. disneyfan2kids

disneyfan2kids DisneyFan3Kids now, but I can't change my name.

We thought the food was fantastic! The only downfall was that their portions were small. (And I'm not a huge eater and I still walked away hungry.)

So GREAT food, SMALL portions, and a somewhat high price tag. We'd go back...we'd just eat a BIG lunch that day. :lmao:

18. disneyfan2kids

disneyfan2kids DisneyFan3Kids now, but I can't change my name.

My husband and I got the "big" platter for 2 as well...although we thought the food was fantastic. However, I 100% agree it was not nearly enough food. They gave us 4 "small" (I think 4 or 5 inch) tortilla's. So, 2 per person? Not enough food. I gave my husband 3 (he is a big eater) and I took 1. The platter was $50 or so (supposed to be shared by 2. BOTH me and my DH were starving when the meal was over. We went right from there to the France Bakery and got sandwiches immediately afterwards. :confused3

19. minnie mum

minnie mum Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I am not a huge fan of Mexican cuisine, and will usually go out of my way to avoid Tex Mex. We are definitely not fans of San Angel. So I was actually very surprised at how much we both enjoyed our meal at La Hacienda. We found the service to be attentive without being obtrusive and the quality of all of the dishes was excellent. While it is true that the portions are not huge as at many of the Disney restaurants, we actually enjoyed the sensation of leaving the restaurant full but not overfull. We certainly didn't leave hungry by any means. We would eat there again any time.

20. amberpi

amberpi DIS Veteran

We've been 3 times, the first time, was within a month or so of opening and it was great! Very fresh, and everything was high quality. The last 2 times were horrible (the second time we thought might be a fluke so we went back again on our Memorial Day trip). The chips were stale, the sauces were like bbq or something, they were out of all the good tequilas and the mixed grill was not nearly as good as what I can make at home...I was very disappointed. I think they may have dumbed this down since opening and I'm sorely disappointed.

The food at San Angel is a bit better (although we always go during lunch - note La Hacienda is not open for lunch, so you could be eating at like Blue Zoo or V&A when you are there, its less of an issue for me if lunch is just meh then dinner - so I usually just get an app and something yummy to drink) but the atmosphere there is SO MUCH BETTER. I'm good with sub par food at the SAI due to the surroundings. La Hacienda is like eating at Chili's...just my take. I'm not actually as critical as the above sounds, but man, they blew us out of the water and then ruined it, that's the worst:(

No matter what, enjoy your trip!

21. amberpi

amberpi DIS Veteran

Oh, I will say that I disagree with the PPs regarding the quantity. We've done the mixed grill for 2 and it was WAY more food than DH and I could eat. We also changed the chorizo for the shrimp, I think it was an upcharge (?), which was the highlight of the dish. I can't speak for the plated dishes however...