Please explain to me about bringing my tech-stuff on DCL

hm, I did Google but couldn't find anything. i guess i'm not using the right terms. i was looking for 'verizon iphone uses data while powered off' and the like. i had just not heard of the iphone using data/transmitting after you have selected the 'power off' option. so i was hoping you knew a place i could reference. i work with smartphones for my job but haven't worked on an iPhone project in a while so if i was missing new info i'd like to catch up.

i'll keep an eye/ear out now.

ETA: Ah I skimmed the reply the first time, but rereading- by the behavior mentioned "I also use the timer often but starting it, then turning off the phone and then back on when I want to see how much time has passed (use this for homework reading)." this seems more like the 'sleep mode'? Where you just press the power button and the screen goes dark? or are you pressing and holding the power button and selecting the 'power off' option (or sliding or whatever they're doing now)

I put my phone in airplane mode and had no charges...

Funny story....I had turned my phone on in Key West so that I could post pictures of DH and I at the Southernmost point buoy to my FB page. I also had to check email one last time before turning the phone off for the rest of our trip. Well, seems I forgot to turn the phone off when we went to bed. At 2am, my wake up alarm, a rooster crowing, (which was set for 7am) went off. We were in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, and my phone thought it was 7am somewhere! Having heard roosters crowing all day at Key West, at first we couldn't figure out where the rooster in the cabin was.

So I googled it, cuz I was curious--

YES, you can turn off an Iphone! WHo knew! WHat I call "off" is really "sleep".

http://ipod.about.com/od/iphonehowtos/qt/turn_off_iphone.htm

But still--Airplane mode will work and prevent you from getting charges. If you don't have it in airplane, it will try to find signal and update your locations and clock, texts, etc.

oh cool, thanks for the update. like i said i haven't worked with the verizon iphones and wanted to be more informed in case that was a Verizon quirk.

old blackberry's had a similar quirk - I don't believe they actually transmitted data, but it would say 'powered off' but it wasn't fully off and would drain your battery. there was no way around it, blackberry's at the time were expected to be on all the time and so to keep a fast boot up time, they didn't fully close everything off. you knew the difference if you pulled the battery - takes 2-3 minutes to boot up a blackberry when it was REALLY off versus the 20-30 seconds after it was just turned off :)

I can tell you absolutely that you need to turn your phone completely off. Airplane mode is not 'turned off' and you MAY still incur roaming charges. When your phone is powered on, it is always doing things...i.e. updating, traking your position (in order for you to get calls, etc.). Also, you know when you download an app and you (well, maybe not you personally since I don't know you, but most people anyway) just click 'accept' w/o reading the terms/conditions? Well, the terms usually include a bit about auto updating, etc. and that you'll be responsible for any charges. When out of the country, if you're not on the correct international plan, you'll be charged roaming fees whenever your phone does this....like the previous poster noted. So, best bet is to simply turn it off completley and leave it be!:)

Must not be talking about an apple product?

When you enable airplane mode from the Settings screen, an airplane icon (
305975_2.png
) appears in the status bar at the top of the screen and the following wireless connections and services are turned off:
  • Cellular (voice and data)
  • Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth
  • GPS
  • Location services

This is funny. Our life has been made so much "easier" by these gadgets and now we get to spend time worrying about how to make sure they don't torture us while on vacation.

Maybe I'll just toss my iPhone into the Caribbean and see how well it transmits from down there!

I just wanted to point out a few things about the iphone as this is the phone we are familiar with. We also use AT&T.

...I can tell you absolutely that you need to turn your phone completely off. Airplane mode is not 'turned off' and you MAY still incur roaming charges. ... So, best bet is to simply turn it off completely and leave it be!:)

Airplane mode will prevent the phone from sending or receiving calls and data. The problem as another poster pointed out is that the phone can accidentally be put back into regular mode. It is when this happens that charges may occur as the phone is searching for a network. Being a smartphone it uses a good amount of data doing this.

The Iphone is never really, ever, totally "off". Even if you turn it "off" it is still communicating with GPS satellites and cell towers, etc. This is why you can do things like "MAP MY RUN"--you start the run timer, then turn the iphone off, then turn it back on to end the route and check your time, etc.

To avoid any ROAMING charges on the Iphone 4, put the phone on AIRPLANE MODE.

To be extra safe, we went to Settings--General--Network and turned "cellular data" OFF. Didn't want to take any chances!

The iphone actually can be turned off, if you power it off, you hold the power button down until the slider comes up which says "slide to power off". When it is powered off and not just in standby there are no signals that you are charged for coming to or from the phone. I agree about the airplane mode as noted above.

I also agree about the turning cellular data off, if you are going to use airplane mode and are worried that you may accidentally turn airplane mode off, then yes this is an excellent idea. Turn off the location services and turn off cellular data. If you have a previous version of iphone os you can also turn off 3g separately.

To avoid any accidental charges on our cruise, we took the batteries out of our smart phones. I didn't want to take a chance of them getting bumped as we took other things in and out of the safe and coming back on and doing any kind of connecting. Plan to do the same thing in June.

Certainly taking the batteries out is the similar to turning the phone off. However you may be able to do this on most smartphones but the iphone is sealed.

We have been on several disney cruises where we kept our phones on and also we spent a few days at DLP. So I just wanted to point out a couple of things that we did.

We usually use our phones for music and videos so we use airplane mode for any phones that we are not planning to make phone calls with. As a precaution we turn off location services and cellular data before enabling airplane mode. We have never been charged for this in the past 4 cruises.

If we use DH's phone for calls we do the same, turn off location services and cellular data. The phone can still get a signal for calls and regular texts but the multimedia texting is off (can't text photos or videos), we don't' check email or use the internet (obviously as we turned data off). We simply use the phone to send and receive phone calls and texts. How much does this cost? Well it depends on where you use the phone. But say for example you are just using it on the cruise ship you will be using the Cellular at Sea Service unless you are near a port. The cost is $2.49 for calls received and placed (missed calls don't normally count, but remember no visual voicemail if you turn data off), Text Messages are sent at $0.50, received texts are billed based upon the plan you have at home. So the cost is not that bad. You actually don't even need the international cellular plan or the international text plan since cellular at sea is excluded from these programs.

If your scenarios changes then you have to base your pricing for data and voice on the country you are in, here is the att site to give you an idea of those costs HERE.

I think that there are just a lot of accidents and misconceptions about actually using an iphone or similar smartphone.

• Turning the phone off - this means actually powering it off or taking the battery out.
  • Standby - people off think this is off because the screen is off, but the phone is on just waiting for you.
  • Airplane mode - this mode disables the voice and data signal as well as wifi - no charges for this mode, and interesting you still have to turn it off even though this is an airplane mode.

Like I said before we have done this on several cruises and on our trip to Paris and Barcelona. We usually count on a few phone calls during the trip, the most we have spent is about $50 above our regular phone bill. If calls are not your concern then airplane mode with caution or powering your phone off will save you the trouble.

All of the advice about turning airplane mode on, Cellular data off, Data Roaming off, and how to actually turn the iPhone off is all good advice.

But be aware, even in Airplane mode (which turn's off BlueTooth and WiFi automatically) it is possible to go to: Settings > Wi-Fi, then turn Wi-Fi on and choose a Wi-Fi network and if you have already connected to the ship's WiFi network, it will automatically re-connect.

Those with toddlers and young kid's will know how apt they are with iPhones/Smart Phones and I am still stunned at how they can easily operate them, and in most cases better that the parent owner! :rotfl:

If you allow your child to use an iPhone or iPod Touch etc for games and the like on the cruise, remember to delete the WiFi connection afterwards on a iPhone: Wi-Fi settings, tap the blue ">" icon and choose to Forget this network.

You will have to re-enter the password next time YOU want to connect and use the WiFi connection, but Angry Bird's won't be able to use up your already paid for, or paying for WiFi time!

Ex Techie :)

Yes--what many of us call "off" is sleep.

But if you DONT set the phone to airplane mode and ONLY Power it off, it will incur roaming charges if you turn the phone on to check time, use the Disney Ship Mate app for maps, listen to music, alarms, etc.

Airplane mode is safe, and its not that easy to accidentally take it out of airplane mode.

I used my phone alot on our recent cruise--camera, ship mate, the notepad for taking notes for my trip report...

I will add here that the ipod docs on the dream did not hold the iphone, but it did charge my original ipod (the white one) that I brought with us. Maybe the Fantasy will have the correct dock size?

It's like the consensus group said make a iPhone/iPod/iPad useable by a 3 yr old!!!! :rotfl::rotfl2::rotfl:

Someone said to me KISS once. Keep It Simple Stupid and I think that must have been the success to OSX! :lmao:

Even my Mom can use my iPhone! :rotfl2::thumbsup2
And friend's with 2 yr old's have app's on their iPhones for the kid's to use and they are more dexterous, and more capable than I! :scared1:

It's like the consensus group said make a iPhone/iPod/iPad useable by a 3 yr old!!!! :rotfl::rotfl2::rotfl:

Someone said to me KISS once. Keep It Simple Stupid and I think that must have been the success to OSX! :lmao:

Even my Mom can use my iPhone! :rotfl2::thumbsup2
And friend's with 2 yr old's have app's on their iPhones for the kid's to use and they are more dexterous, and more capable than I! :scared1:

It's true! My 3 year old has done some things on my iPhone that I didn't know existed! :scared1: We also gave him our old iPod touch for toddler games, etc... and were very careful to turn off all data, keep it in airplane mode, turn off in-app purchases, disconnect our iTunes email from it, and make it so he can't open Safari, iTunes, or the App store...and he still scares me! :laughing:

We've been on two separate cruises, one to Eastern Caribbean, one to Med. Since we own our own business, we HAVE to keep "reachable" even when gone. Use T-Mobile and at the time a "Crackberry". They had a data plan for the cruise lines ($20/month and could be pro-rated for a partial month, even the week).

Service during the Caribbean cruise was actually decent, and we were able to send/receive e-mails without a problem (Disney Magic).

However, when we went on the Med, service was almost non-existent and we had to wait until we got close enough to a port for the ship to get any signal at all.............

We now have Android phones, we plan on taking them and getting the roaming data plan for them. It cost us only about $7 each as we paid for one day before and one day after just to make sure we were covered.

Note that this does NOT cover phone calls, but there is rarely something that comes up at work that can't be handled over e-mail or texting (which is what the data plan covered, no surfing, etc, etc)

Hope this helps or gives you some more info!

I have been on a couple cruises with my Iphone and always just put it in airplane mode - cuts off the cellular network. And I use the phone for any games, music, books, apps. I have done this in the Med, Mexican Riv, Panama Canal repo and Bahamas. NO fees....

All of my comments are in red.

Actually, holding the lock button and the home button will force a restart of the phone. The other poster was correct, just hold the lock button until you see "slide to power off".

Actually, holding the lock button and the home button will force a restart of the phone. The other poster was correct, just hold the lock button until you see "slide to power off".

On My iPhone 4, holding the lock button and home button down, forces the phone to shut down, not restart. A bit like holding the power button down on a PC/Laptop.
I have to press the lock button again afterwards to get mine to re-boot?

Holding the power button and home button is the way you hard reboot an iphone. Sometimes, it does not come all the way back appears to be off.

I go thru this many time when jailbreaking my idevices.

Using SBsettings is a great way to have all the data, wifi, 3g, airplane mode, etc controls just a finger swipe away.

Holding the power button and home button is the way you hard reboot an iphone. Sometimes, it does not come all the way back appears to be off.

I go thru this many time when jailbreaking my idevices.

Using SBsettings is a great way to have all the data, wifi, 3g, airplane mode, etc controls just a finger swipe away.

Just tried that several time's on my iPhone 4 and pressing and holding the Lock button and Home until the screen turn's off/goes black, seem's to turn it off.

Pressing and holding the Lock button and Home until the screen turn's off/goes black and a few second's more seem's to make it re-boot!

(probably not the best thing to do! lol!)

Never knew that Billinaz! Thanks for the info as I always waited after it crashed then pressed the Lock button again to turn it back on :thumbsup2

Just tried that several time's on my iPhone 4 and pressing and holding the Lock button and Home until the screen turn's off/goes black, seem's to turn it off.

Pressing and holding the Lock button and Home until the screen turn's off/goes black and a few second's more seem's to make it re-boot!

(probably not the best thing to do! lol!)

Never knew that Billinaz! Thanks for the info as I always waited after it crashed then pressed the Lock button again to turn it back on :thumbsup2

::yes:: I have had to do this a few times to reset it after it has frozen (before trading for a new one, my first one had issues) The tech support guy told me to hold it for several seconds after it turns off, like you said. It works wonders for when it freezes or is acting crazy! :thumbsup2

::yes:: I have had to do this a few times to reset it after it has frozen (before trading for a new one, my first one had issues) The tech support guy told me to hold it for several seconds after it turns off, like you said. It works wonders for when it freezes or is acting crazy! :thumbsup2

Fortunately I only have to re-boot it once every couple of months! (3-4 on average)

Amazing really when you think it is a small computer and cell phone with the computing power of massive computer's less than 10 year's ago!

Steve Jobs and Apple :woohoo::love:

This entire thread seems to remind me of my wife; if she's not in "sleep mode", she's costing me money!!
:rotfl::goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter