PLEASE - DIRECTIONS TO LORTON AUTO TRAIN?!?

DNBois

DIS Veterans & CBR Lovers!!!
My husband and I are taking the auto train for the first time driving from MA (southeastern MA) - does anyone have any directions (especially those off the beaten path) that will get us to the train station on time withour hitting much traffic. Rand McNally's website says it should take about 7 hours but we are not certain of that - we are thinking about leaving at 4:00 am to get to Lorton, VA around 12:00 or 12:30 and I guess you need to check-in two hours early so we'll have plenty of time - right?

Also, how far is it from the Sanford train station to get to Disney - we have reservations off-site and at CBR - according to McNally, Disney is only about 35 minutes away but that is too good to be true.

Any help you can give us first time auto trainers would be appreciated!!!

Hi - We're from Methuen, MA and we've taken the autotrain a few times. Last year we left around 4:15 am and arrived in Lorton, VA about 1:30. It's not a bad ride. We take the MA Pike out to 84 - through CT; 684 to the Tappen Zee Bridge; Garden State Parkway to the NJ Turnpike. From MA to the NJ/DE border it's 6 hours. Then it's on RT 95 the rest of the way. Once you get into VA, you'll see signs for Lorton and the Autotrain. It's right off of the exit, I believe it's a left, under the overpass and then a left into the parking lot. We brought a softsided cooler on board. You're allowed to bring snacks and drinks. It's really not a bad ride. We're considering it again this May, since I'm not big on flying. The only bad part is if you take it from Sanford on the return, when you get into VA it's an 8 hour ride home.

When you get into Sanford, you'll usually wait about a 1/2 hour for your car. It's an easy ride to WDW. Rt 4 West - it takes about 40 minutes. Make sure you plan enough time when you're returning in Sanford. The line to check in gets long. Have fun! (If you belong to AAA you can get a tripkit and it will map it out for you).

I live in Dracut MA - and I usually take 290 - 395 to 95 then to the Tappanzee.

Since you are in South Eastern MA you can also take 95 to get to the Tappan Zee bridge. ( You might hit traffic in Conn. though)

Are you going during the day or on a weekend??

If you are going on a weekend I would not worry about the traffic too much.

I would estimate 8 hours for driving time, don't worry if you are early.

On the Sanford side. I'd agree with the 40 minutes.

Cheryl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter