Please critique my DisneySea plans

whys_of_ma

The queen of my own little pond
Hi there,

Old pro at Florida, but first time in Japan. Traveling with DH and DS (7 and 9). None of us are scary ride fans.

We are all probably too scaredy-cat for Tower of Terror, Indiana, Raging Spirits, and DS7 and I will probably not want to ride Journey (unless DH and DS9 think it's not too bad).

1) DH and DS9 ride Journey WHILE DS7 and I get FP for Toy Story and Lottery for Big Band Beat (you get these at the Broadway Music Theater, right?)
2) all ride 20,000 Leagues
3) Flying Carpets
4) Sinbad
5) Carousel

Then as we get to them:
FP window opens, get Journey if DH and DS9 think we will all like it OR FP for Storm Rider
Gondolas
Fortress Exploration
Mermaid Lagoon
See Big Band Beat
Ride Toy Story when our window is open
See Fantasmic

Thoughts?

Not bad. When are you planning on going? The crowds could potentially disrupt your plans.

For example, if it was really crowded, you could easily end up spending an entire day just trying to do everything in Mermaid Lagoon.

As it stands, if it's crowded, you could be waiting up to 60 minutes for a Fast Pass for Toy Story. In that time, the other two *may* be able to ride Journey twice.

20,000 Leagues, Flying Carpets, Sindbad and the Carousel shouldn't pose any problems in terms of crowds.

I'd definitely prioritise a FP for Journey over Storm Rider.

The Gondolas and Fortress Exploration shouldn't have any major crowd issues. As noted, Mermaid Lagoon could be difficult. If it's crowded and if it's raining, then it will be packed. Unless you get a FP, you could be waiting for over an hour for the Little Mermaid Show. The lines for the various rides will also be long.

I would encourage you to try both TOT and Journey - they are very impressive, despite the "scary" elements. Note that for TOT, there are shoulder belts - unlike in the U.S. - which make it less "extreme" (and the storyline is entirely different). And although Journey uses the same underlying technology as Test Track, only a short portion is fast - most of it is a very (very, very) elaborate "dark ride."

Additionally, although I wouldn't suggest spending much time waiting for Raging Spirits, the reason isn't that it's scary. Apart from the loop, it's a pretty mild coaster - indeed, it's the gentlest loop I've ever experienced. The issue it that, elaborate area theming aside, it's an off-the-shelf (and not particularly interesting) coaster, but nevertheless tends to attract big lines.

Also, for scheduling, note that Big Band Beat typically uses a "lottery" system for all but the first show.

Not bad. When are you planning on going? The crowds could potentially disrupt your plans.

For example, if it was really crowded, you could easily end up spending an entire day just trying to do everything in Mermaid Lagoon.

As it stands, if it's crowded, you could be waiting up to 60 minutes for a Fast Pass for Toy Story. In that time, the other two *may* be able to ride Journey twice.

20,000 Leagues, Flying Carpets, Sindbad and the Carousel shouldn't pose any problems in terms of crowds.

I'd definitely prioritise a FP for Journey over Storm Rider.

The Gondolas and Fortress Exploration shouldn't have any major crowd issues. As noted, Mermaid Lagoon could be difficult. If it's crowded and if it's raining, then it will be packed. Unless you get a FP, you could be waiting for over an hour for the Little Mermaid Show. The lines for the various rides will also be long.

We will be there December 2nd. I looked at the crowd calendar and it was something like a 25 of 100.
I really hope we don't wait for an hour for Toy Story, that seems totally dumb. There just aren't a lot of rides that are so perfect for my family.

Mermaid lagoon, we will just play by ear. Maybe give ourselves a time limit and just do any rides that we can. I mean, there aren't any MUST DO's there. I am just excited to see it.

Luckily my kids could care less about meeting characters, so that always saves us time. :-)

I would encourage you to try both TOT and Journey - they are very impressive, despite the "scary" elements. Note that for TOT, there are shoulder belts - unlike in the U.S. - which make it less "extreme" (and the storyline is entirely different). And although Journey uses the same underlying technology as Test Track, only a short portion is fast - most of it is a very (very, very) elaborate "dark ride."

Additionally, although I wouldn't suggest spending much time waiting for Raging Spirits, the reason isn't that it's scary. Apart from the loop, it's a pretty mild coaster - indeed, it's the gentlest loop I've ever experienced. The issue it that, elaborate area theming aside, it's an off-the-shelf (and not particularly interesting) coaster, but nevertheless tends to attract big lines.

Also, for scheduling, note that Big Band Beat typically uses a "lottery" system for all but the first show.

I think TOT is a no go. I always want to go through the first part and take the chicken exit, but I am too embarrassed. :-)

Is the fast part of Journey like Thunder or Expedition Everest? We are total chickens, but like Thunder Mountain.

s the fast part of Journey like Thunder or Expedition Everest? We are total chickens, but like Thunder Mountain.

The best comparison to the the final segment of Test Track, in which the vehicle suddenly accelerates and drives at high speed for a short time - but with the addition of a hill and drop, and the difference that Journey is mostly inside and dimly lit, unlike the open outdoor loop on Test Track (the storyline being that you're making a sudden escape from an underground monster - up-and-out of the volcano). Overall, I don't think it's any more intense than Big Thunder - certainly the "exciting" part is shorter - but it's also different, since it feels faster/taller, in part because it's smoother.

The best comparison to the the final segment of Test Track, in which the vehicle suddenly accelerates and drives at high speed for a short time - but with the addition of a hill and drop, and the difference that Journey is mostly inside and dimly lit, unlike the open outdoor loop on Test Track (the storyline being that you're making a sudden escape from an underground monster - up-and-out of the volcano). Overall, I don't think it's any more intense than Big Thunder - certainly the "exciting" part is shorter - but it's also different, since it feels faster/taller, in part because it's smoother.[/QUOTE

Thank you so much for that description. I think it will be awesome or my DS9, I think I will have to let them try it first and then let my DS7 decide. I hate to miss it, but also don't want to ruin DS7's whole day.

Hopefully since the park isn't slated to be super crowded, it won't take us an hour to get TSM FPs!! *fingers crossed*

We COULD skip TSM and DS7 and I could just wait outside of Journey to see if DH and DS9 want to go again/think we should go to, and then use FPs for that. How long do you think it will take DH and DS9 to go through Journey at park opening?

Thanks again!!!

We COULD skip TSM and DS7 and I could just wait outside of Journey to see if DH and DS9 want to go again/think we should go to, and then use FPs for that. How long do you think it will take DH and DS9 to go through Journey at park opening?

The line should be reasonably short, since all of the capacity is devoted to the standby line until FPs start maturing (and while Journey is still a headliner, many park visitors will be heading first to Toy Story or the Tower of Terror). It may sync reasonably well with your plan to get Toy Story FPs and participate in the Big Band Beat lottery (although the Toy Story FP line can be frightening if you're not at the front of the pack - how fast can your DS7 run?).

Luckily my kids could care less about meeting characters, so that always saves us time.

One of the many great things about Disney Sea is that they have characters wandering the park. So, you don't necessarily have to line up to meet them (although they also have official meeting areas, with long lines, for the A-list characters).

A 60 minute wait for Fast Passes for Toy Story is "dumb", but unfortunately it can happen. It does sound like the park should be relatively quiet when you go, so that will operate in your favour in terms of waiting times. Fortunately, Disney Sea is such an amazing park that even if you didn't go on a single ride, you'd still probably have a great time.

I also second jsilvers comments about Journey being a relatively mild "thrill" ride. I also don't find Tower of Terror scary - other than the length of the stand by line! And I wouldn't even classify Indiana as a "thrill" ride. It's fun, especially in Japan where all of the effects typically work perfectly, but it's just sitting in a car being rocked around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter