Plastic or Glass Containers?

EllenFrasier

DIS Veteran
Do you use plastic or glass food storage containers? I used to use Tupperware plastic containers, but over the years they have gotten lost or the lids got damaged. I know 100% guarantee and all that, but at the time I couldn't bother with all that.

I was excited to find Rubbermaid made containers called Premier that were very much like the Tupperware ones, so I bought a whole set of them. Then I heard that reheating food in plastic containers is not good for you health wise. :confused3 Should I stop using them? We put leftovers in them and freeze them for my husband to take to his job when he works nights and he reheats them in the microwave.

I am now looking into glass containers, but I don't know if they will last long with him transporting them back and forth to work. Does anybody use glass and what brand is durable?

Thanks!:cutie:

We use glass containers at home for storage and microwaving. But, I'd hesitate to take glass containers to/from work every day. Could your husband take a plate or glass container to work and transfer the food from the plastic container to the plate/glass to microwave it? Then wash the plate/glass and leave it at work for the next lunch.

We do this with Kashi frozen dinners that come in a plastic container. We dump the frozen food onto a plate and microwave it that way to avoid microwaving the food in a plastic container. Works fine.

I am also hesitant to microwave plastic. I do have a Corelle plate and bowl at work, so I can avoid the plastic in the microwave.

Now that I am in my mid-40's, I had accumulated a bunch of junk in my tupperware cabinet. UGGGH. I went to a tupperware party about 6 months ago. When that order came in, I went through the whole cabinet, tossed what I no longer use/need, as well as anything in there that did not have h a matching lid. And, I tossed some actaul tupperware that I hated since the first day I bought it (the containers were not see-threw, so you had to open each one to find what you were looking for). I can't believe the amount of crap I tossed out. :thumbsup2

I love my new tupperware, it stacks nicely and is functional for my current needs. I also do not have a ton of it either, which is great!!!

Back to glass - I prefer not to store stuff in glass in the fridge. Glass doesn't "bounce" on the floor like plastic does.;)

I try not to use plastic container for anything hot. I mean I don't heat things in them and I don't put hot leftovers into them.

I just went to the Pyrex outlet again yesterday and bought more glass containers with lids. I have brought soup/chili to work in glass containers, in my lunch bag, inside my back pack and I have never had a leak.

I also have a "garage sale find" bowl/plate that I keep at work to heat foods up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter